When to quit!?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIGGLER

Reaction score
To all experienced hairdressers.. Anyone else find themselves becoming anti social? Less tolerant of attention seekers.. Eccentric people.. Or just idiots?! I used to be able to humour and tolerate even the most annoying of people but these days I can't hide what I'm thinking! Not just at work but in general.. Lol! Maybe this is because of my job!? Anyone else find themselves feeling this way? Sorry I suppose this is a bit of a rant!

Last edited by a moderator:
To all experienced hairdressers.. Anyone else find themselves becoming anti social? Less tolerant of attention seekers.. Eccentric ppl.. Or just idiots?! I used to b able to humour and tolerate even the most annoying of ppl but these days I can't hide what I'm thinking! Not just at work but in general.. Lol! Maybe this is because of my job!? Anyone else find themselves feeling this way? Sorry I suppose this is a bit of a rant!

I go through phases. Sometimes I really can't handle peoples crap so I become a bit of a hermit at those times.

If you don't mind me saying, going by your profile pic you look a bit young to be so cynical and jaded lol !! ;)

Whether it be hairdressing, or the Beauty Industry, we are in SERVICE Industry and we have to face every client with a smile :)

Doesn't matter if we don't like them, we still have to look as if we do :biggrin:

even if it gives us face ache !!

Last edited:
Do u not think life would be boring if we were all the same lol.I love eccentric people there different and fun.yes some people can test our patience but thats in business and life in general that is life.sometimes you have to think why some people are challenging or different past experiences could have changed them something tragic or maybe something happy we just don't know so I don't judge anybody and I always say people like this may annoy us but we may annoy people just as much:lol:

I have to agree with giggler.

Im a very tolerant and patient person in general but i do have times when i think "give over"
I know we work in the people business and i am a people person but it doesnt stop them annoying me sometimes. Thats life.

If you don't mind me saying, going by your profile pic you look a bit young to be so cynical and jaded lol !! ;)

Whether it be hairdressing, or the Beauty Industry, we are in SERVICE Industry and we have to face every client with a smile :)

Doesn't matter if we don't like them, we still have to look as if we do :biggrin:

even if it gives us face ache !!
I'm 33! Lol.. But 33 and 7 months pregnant.. My hormones are probably magnifying my feelings! Ive never been very good at painting a smile on my face, my clients have been coming to me for years and do laugh at my non-humouring/non-pandering ways! Id never make it as a red-coat put it that way lol!

I realise that there's lots of different people out there.. Some that I just can't gel with. I get irritated by gossips and nosiness. I truly believe that it's because of my job. In my social life my first impression of someone is normally spot on. I have questioned myself and wondered if this is one of the reasons why hairdressers retire? I worked with a lady once who seemed really jolly all the time, then one day, mid-service she calmly put her scissors down and walked out.. She never came back and said she just couldn't do it anymore.. Maybe that will be me! :(

I should change my username to Victoria meldrew!! Hahaha!!!

Think if you're 7 months pregnant you are allowed to think however you want! A New Year's Day baby perhaps? Lovely, congratulations!

For myself, I much prefer eccentric people; I just "get" them, and find them interesting.
TBH I like attention seekers too, if that means extroverts. I don't like the a-seekers who are completely self-fixated, though.

Think I can be eccentric and a-seeking if I really look hard at myself!:eek:

NOW is not the time to give up:hug:

I get that people can be annoying and understand people's frustration with other people and I really get the pregnant and hormonal thing and feelings being heightened, I've been there, but I think calling people idiots is a bit disrespectful.

Life is filled with difficult people, people that get on our wick and are just not our cup of tea, that's what makes the world go round, if everyone was the same it would be a bit boring but I think to come on here and call people idiots, whether you are referring to clients or colleagues I really don't think is on. Sorry, just my opinion, I just feel that no matter how they are, we are with them for a short space of time, every couple of weeks and they pay our way at the end of the day.

I totally get what you mean. I cannot bear histrionics, drama queens or princesses. Most of the time I can cover up my disdain, but there are times when people are such idiots that I can't be bothered to be in "salon face" mode.
I also do a lady who just gave up after many years. She now works in a different industry entirely. I will admit that I would like to move away from the chair more. My RSI is getting bad, and I cant cope with the head movers now because of it. It hurts too much when their heads are out of position.
You are probably a bit hormonal right now, and physically hairdressing is a real strain. Couple that with people not staying still and being general idiots, and the desire to give up can grow quite strong.
The feeling will pass.

I totally get where your coming from.. I've thought about a change in career path too.. I think I've come as far as I need to go in hairdressing.. The height of my career was becoming the north east champion .. And straight after opening my own shop.. But now I'm really slowing down. Only part time now and I still struggle to find the energy to face people. At 33 I have tendinitis in my shoulder, it can really put a strain on me so I really sympathise with ur RSI! :( I think it is a mixture of all these things that add to our lack of enthusiasm! X

I get that people can be annoying and understand people's frustration with other people and I really get the pregnant and hormonal thing and feelings being heightened, I've been there, but I think calling people idiots is a bit disrespectful.

Life is filled with difficult people, people that get on our wick and are just not our cup of tea, that's what makes the world go round, if everyone was the same it would be a bit boring but I think to come on here and call people idiots, whether you are referring to clients or colleagues I really don't think is on. Sorry, just my opinion, I just feel that no matter how they are, we are with them for a short space of time, every couple of weeks and they pay our way at the end of the day.

Well that's just the way I am I'm afraid.. I say it as I see it. I don't have that capability of wearing a second face.. Some people hate it .. Some people love it.. Like u say if we were all the same life would be boring :)

Can we please keep the thread on track and constructive. Post as you would like to be posted to and if your message is specifically for one person then take it to PM!

As has been said, everyone is different. But this works both ways. As much as its lovely that there are people out there that are larger than life, that are eccentric, that are shy and quiet etc. its also nice that there are people out there who have more tolerance than others, the differences are how we makes friends and choose who we like/dislike to be around in life.

I like you, have very little tollerance for idiots. My mum says that i dont suffer fools gladly :lol: which makes it sound like a nice thing rather than me being a bit of grumpy pants.

Just to add, as i understand it the OP is referring to struggling with patience for people in her life in general and not particularly her clients or customers, and if anyone has managed to get through life without coming into contact with a fully fledged idiot, client or otherwise, they are very lucky :wink2:

Can I just state, for the record, that I did not imply or suggest that I haven't come across difficult or even nasty people, believe me, my life has been full of them both professionally, when I was working in a salon before now, and personally throughout life. I was expressing an opinion on the term used, as have many other more senior geeks mentioned on other threads previous to this one. Many people read these threads, not just members, so I was simply saying that maybe calling them idiots was slightly inappropriate. That was all.

:eek:
To all experienced hairdressers.. Anyone else find themselves becoming anti social? Less tolerant of attention seekers.. Eccentric people.. Or just idiots?! I used to be able to humour and tolerate even the most annoying of people but these days I can't hide what I'm thinking! Not just at work but in general.. Lol! Maybe this is because of my job!? Anyone else find themselves feeling this way? Sorry I suppose this is a bit of a rant!

I know how you feel, I have absolutely no problem with people who are a bit weird or bit unusual (i tell my children thats the polite way to say someone is weird!). And although this is a public forum I think we all know that there are 'idiots' in all walks of life - its a valid description. As hairdressers (which is who you originallly addressed this to) I think we have a greater chance of seeing all sectors of the public - I'm sure 99% of the populus have their haircut, I'm not sure on balance what percentage have nail or beauty treatments? So statistically us hairdressers will come across more 'unusual' clients!:eek:

Keep strong
and hope the tail end of your pregnancy goes well. xx

When I start to feel like this, I know its time for a holiday, or just some quality time out, to myself. Working with the public can be very challenging, and everyone has limits.

I think working in an industry where you are constantly communicating is very healthy, generally:lol:, however, there are some very demanding people out there and I love making it impossible for them to be a pain - I see it has a personal challenge and though sometimes I fail, more often than not if you are very reasonable people realise they are behaving badly and improve.

Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

x

PS I think when they do surveys on what careers make people happiest hairdressers and the beauty industry are usually the top, with banking and estate agents at the bottom.

I feel so much better reading your posts.. I thought I was alone in the world haha! Its nice to know I'm not the only hairdresser who finds some days more challenging than others! Thank you for the post about maybe needing a holiday.. U are spot on! I've not had a holiday for nearly 9 months! :-/

My best friend is a beauty therapist, we have discussions all the time about how we are in the same industry but have completely different jobs and clientele. She's a lot more calm and relaxed than I am, I'm normally flitting about like a flee having a fit! Lol! I think hairdressing is physically exhausting and mentally draining at the same time..so when we have a demanding client in it can take its toll! I can keep a smile for so long.. But As I put in my original post.. Socially I don't have to tolerate it.. And it comes across.. Making me less of a people person!

... Oh and thanks for all the well wishes for my pregnancy! Feeling the fatness now lol! Il be glad to get Xmas out of the way and then it's a bit quieter.. So I can relax a bit more! I'm considering putting an 'L' plate on my bump because I keep knocking my clients and colleagues with it! Eeek! Lol! :) xx

Latest posts

Back