When will the so called Xmas rush start??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hidden Mandy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've not posted much but try to pop on here every day to read whats going on in the geek world!!

My salon has only been open since 31st May, we had a fairly busy summer, then when the kids went back to school in Sept - DEAD, then Oct - DEAD, then Nov - DEAD!!!! to the point where I had to borrow money to pay the rent!!! Prior to this it was just about paying for itself (I take nothing in the way of salary!) but have a saturday girl and another girl who works 24 hours a week as I'm not fully qualified in all treatments we offer so I need these two who are absolute angels to be honest and I couldnt have done it without them.

Everyone I have discussed my concerns with have all said, you'll be absolutely hammered at Xmas and you'll be moaning then cos your too busy! well u know what? I'm still waiting!! last week we took no more than an average Oct / Nov week, this week appointments booked so far is looking no better. I am fully prepared to sit here 9-9 every day to fulfil clients appointments as long as the money is coming in, but its just soooo quiet!!!

I know people are busy doing Xmas shopping etc, and next week the kids are off school as well.

I'm seriously worried, if this is what December is like, what on earth is January going to be like!??

Every morning I wake up to about 10 emails on my blackberry from Groupon, Livingsocial, KGB, etc etc offering massages, facials, shellac, eyelash's etc etc, and can't help wondering - is this killing our trade????

Anyway - rant over!! I supposed I just wanted to see if anyone else was in the same boat as me, or am I doing something seriously wrong!!!

PS: I have done local flyers, adverts in local business directory, facebook advertising, texting offers to clients - I've tried it al!!

Thanks for reading, M xx

hiya, im exactly the same! i opened in sept and slowly slowly is picking up but i want to be so much busier! i thought i would be mad busy in dec but doesnt look like it xx i have litterally tried everything advertising and marketing wise. fingers crossecd it picks up for us both :lol:

Yes wanted to say your not on your own!!! I to opened my salon in sept and am sooo quiet. 5 bookings this week!!! :-(

I rent a room so I'm lucky in a way as I only pay rent per day I'm in.

Tbh I feel it's a combination of the current climate, Xmas and a new
Business.
I have website Facebook and have local advert, contacted schools offering vouchers for Xmas events etc.

On a positive note all clients I have rebook and are becoming regulars, I'm currently contacting hotels and wedding venues to hopefully promote my business at the spring wedding fayres.

Keep your chin up and keep keeping on!!!! X

business.

Hi, thank goodness someone else is going through what I am too. I was seriously worrying that I was doing something wrong. I too opened my business in September. We had a brilliant sept and I thought we would them be having an excellent December. I had been told that October was dead and should start picking up mid/late November but I too am still waiting. We did an offer on 1st December (almost like our own version of groupon) and had a mad day with people rebooking but they just aren't enough to fill my diary completely. I too have now had to borrow money for rent and am seriously wondering what else I can do. I do feel better though knowing I'm not on my own and it might not be my fault. Hope we all pick up soon.
Ps I'm in Wigan. Where is everyone else based? It might be nice to know if the problem is just in one area i.e. up north or spread around the country. Xx

I'm in Wiltshire x

Hi, where I work, we only really have Groupon and KGB clients walking through our door. (we have offers on at the moment) . However, I don't think they help the business at all. They are not rebooking.
I so wish these sites had to shut down.
Try doing some offers or combine a few treatments together e.g facial with a free polish.
Hope you get busy soon. Good luck:lol:

were the same we openeing in August and was very busy in Aug and Sept then the rest was very quiet. We are very busy next week and over xmas and in Jan we have done a wowcher deal to start and xmas cards with offers in etc, we are also lauching our Skin Base microdermabrasion so hopfully we shall get busier. it just takes time!

good luck

hth

x

I'm still waiting too. I'm off to print a load more leaflets and do a drop tomorrow or Friday because yes the clients I have are loyal and yes they rebook and have given me that tiny bit extra to help with the Xmas shop but it's just not enough.

I suppose being mobile I'm lucky I don't have rent but I'm still not making enough.

I'm on the outskirts of London and really don't know what else to do. I sent emails to every primary school in the borough offering vouchers for their fayres and 10% off to all their staff in dec an jan and not had one, not ONE, even call me to enquire... Really disheartened :( x

Perhaps it is that the more established salons are receiving their regular client trade still, whereas anybody who isn't "loyal" to any particular salon ATM is going to be judging on either reputation (which you may be just in the process of building) and pricing (groupon etc undercutting).

I really feel for anybody struggling with business stress this time of year, onto of everything else Christmas can bring. I'm sure things will pick up going into next year and this will be part of your "the first year was a struggle but now we are booming" story. That said I know my favorite Christmas are the all inclusive everything I need for the day offers and I will be booking in as close to the actual day as possible!

im not doing a leaflet drop at all, maybe sometime next year but ive been busy from word of mouth and regulars. I know people are moaning about discounted treatments, but if you havent heard its not gona get any better, inflation costs are still rising and not being passed across. So in that mindframe think like a crazed xmas shopper, make it worth your clients while to go into your salon.

Ive offered freebies gifts per client per booking in december alone as a goodwill gesture for xmas, costing less than 30p per client.

Ive offered deals especially catered for the office parties like lashes, spraytans, etc Ive got crazy deals i do every year which makes people want to spend their xmas pressies money on.

Its made clients book in for more treatments with the incentive of getting a stocking filler gift! Im so booked up till jan, im surprised im able to log in and reply to a few threads! neways i hope you feel motivated and optimistic that it will get better! xoxo

hi hun

I'm not in a salon I'm mobile and treatment room attached to health shop. Mobile this week is starting to pick up nicely after trading a few months. I don't know anything about salons but rather than a leaflet drop perhaps get your staff outside your shop handing out leaflets and generate some interest and intrigue for your salon. Perhaps offer mini treatments for a few pound to entice people in and then hit them with your smarts when they're through your door to get them to book. Ok not a great money maker but at least your busy doing something. Customers in the shop intrigue and entice people in. Maybe lay on a mince pie or two to get those busy shoppers in. As said i don't know much about salon life etc but just thought if you have the walk by factor it may be worth a try. Good luck x x x

hi. we had a fab week last week and a pretty good one the week before but this one is not good, we are both sitting here waiting for the next client.

it has been a hellish 3 months and you are not the only one having to borrow money as i am here too and still no salary.

ironically i had only 1 client booked in last friday and then it went mad and i had 3 in the chairs at 1 time making my target, how does this happen and why cant it happen more often?

Im so glad others are in the same boat! I thought it was just me! We are open a year and still the same! I thought I'd be up to my eyes now but it's so up and down! Tomorrow for me is booked out solid and then Friday theres not one person booked in, I dont get it. You cant predict its so all over the place! Im dreading January!

I was loosing hope aswell (work from home) and the last 3 days im having people ringing/texting/facebooking for last minute tans...really last minute! Ive made other plans so trying to fit everyone in where ever! Theres still time! I would deffo do a leaflet drop with an offer on it! xx

Im booked 8-8 everyday untill xmas day now but i do have the luxury of a hair salon next door which relli helps with getting clients but i have done major promoting aswell!! I havent had to do any offers for these two weeks but i do usually do monthly or fornightly offers..Could yu send out some email or text offers to regulars or clients that have been been before. I dunno maybe 20% off thrs and fri or something i find those kinda offers work well or how about doin a special offer on massage as its just time and very little product :) it still could pick up :) dont panic and good luck :):)

Aww thanks for all your replies guys! its so nice that people take the time to read and makes me feel slightly better that I'm not the only one in this situation!

I've done a text to all clients today offering them several of our most popular treatments for £14 each for the rest of this week, this includes spray tan, pedi, mani, polish pro, express facial, back neck shoulder massage, this is 20-25% discount off my normal prices, and I put it on my personal facebook and my salon facebook page - and guess what!!!??? not one single booking from it!!!

I feel like I can't give treatments away for free at the moment!!!

And to top it all, one of my best clients just called in and cancelled her appointment on Saturday!!! cos we did her nails so nice 2 weeks ago they just don't need doing again!!!

And this really worries me, I went into our local town centre earlier, walked past the local ' NSS / nail bar' which is normally hammered and they had no clients in!! thats a first! and they we're doing each others nails!!! theres no hope if even they don't have clients in!!??

And for info guys I'm in Cheadle / Manchester border so have council estate on one side, and big houses / affluent area on the other side, so client wise we have the best of both worlds!!

There's no passing trade to hand out to, as we're on a small row of just 3 shops, I might take the plunge and go into the town centre about a mile away and try handing out there, apart from the nail bar there's no other competition there!

Oh what to do, what to do??? I think I'm gonna close early and go and buy a massive Xmas tree (that I can't afford!!!) on my way home :)

Im the same. Opened my salon november 12th. We've done ok but not covered costs yet. I have had to borrow money to get me by. I am starting to get slightly worried.

I have a database of 461 and dont get any response from emails to them. I built the database up from my garra rufa fish spa, which we opened in April and that was busy until the newspapers ruined it all. We added a beauty room in nov.

I dont know what peoples problems are with fish spas. Providing everything is done properly including a consultation etc then its just like any other treatments - risk wise.

We still have people in for that but not many. I desperately want it to work and will do anything. But my mind is so full with worry I cant seem to think of amazing advertising/marketting ideas.

x

I'm exactly the same I have had about 3 apps a week since in December.

This week has been much busier with tans,rockstar and shellac but still really quiet.

I am mobile so I don't have all the costs of the salon so im quite lucky but I still need to earn money.

I not fully booked though atall I have some apps tonight,tomorrow and Sunday but they are all 3 treatments in 1 app so making my weekly wage this week lol.

It's a good job I have savings.

I advertise everywhere,I think it's the Xmas shopping,recession etc but hey ho.

Not looking forward to jan think I might have to go back to work :( x

Our salon picked up yesterday, mainly tans and nails. And this week is busy which is fab. Up until then it was quiet.

I am sure this week will pick up for u :)

My mobile business is the same, fully booked til xmas. Ok I'll prob squeeze a few more tans in if I get calls but as for nails/toes I can't fit anyone else in.

I think this week is xmas party week and next week is xmas week, don't forget u always get the last min clients who leave booking appts til the day before :)

Good luck hope u are pleasently suprised.

And yes I think groupon etc is damaging our business, I'm thankful that usually nail clients like to have the same person to do a good job, and tans once they like u they use u again-provided you can fit them in!

Xx

Latest posts

Back