When would someone need green based high lift?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just think of the base and the lighteneing curve and which tones you need to neutralise most. I only normally use highlift as a darker blonde with a bleach highlight, very rarely for a global application x

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app
If you lift 6 (red-orange) to 9 (yellow) what will you neutralise? Level 6 DURP or level 9 DURP? And what base will you use?

If you lift 6 (red-orange) to 9 (yellow) what will you neutralise? Level 6 DURP or level 9 DURP? And what base will you use?

You would neutralise the underlying tones of a 6 x

No genuine red! Like actual red!😩 x

Have you got a picture of your natural colour? I wanna see now haha

Yea put a piccy up cam, what do u colour it with at the mo?

I thought I had a rough understanding of what highlifts to use on different depths and now I know when I come to do anyone who im going to use highlift on im going to be absolutely stuck on which one to use 😂

I tend to use highlifts on a natural level 6 and above, and from there you can usually tell what type of undertones are in the hair.

If the hair is a neutral 6 then it will lift to "very pale yellow" so you can use violet to neutralise.
If it is a golden level 6 the undertone will be 'very pale yellow + yellow" so I would use a stronger violet.
If there are coppery tones the undertone will be "very pale yellow + orange" so I would use a blue base to neutralise.
If it was a true natural red, I would expect to lose a level of lift, so the under tone would be "pale yellow + orange + orange"

I find that this gives me the most natural results. The diffence with using a preligher rather than highlift is that it will actually lift out those extra warm pigments.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Have you got a picture of your natural colour? I wanna see now haha

I haven't😩 I think I might have a picture of it when I used the highlift, I'll have a look.

What would blue be in goldwell?

I tend to use highlifts on a natural level 6 and above, and from there you can usually tell what type of undertones are in the hair.

If the hair is a neutral 6 then it will lift to "very pale yellow" so you can use violet to neutralise.
If it is a golden level 6 the undertone will be 'very pale yellow + yellow" so I would use a stronger violet.
If there are coppery tones the undertone will be "very pale yellow + orange" so I would use a blue base to neutralise.
If it was a true natural red, I would expect to lose a level of lift, so the under tone would be "pale yellow + orange + orange"

I find that this gives me the most natural results. The diffence with using a preligher rather than highlift is that it will actually lift out those extra warm pigments.

so am I right in thinking after reading that, that you do aim to neutralise the undertone of the natural base as well as the base you'll end up lifting too?

adamlea87, you are the best! I love you! :*

so am I right in thinking after reading that, that you do aim to neutralise the undertone of the natural base as well as the base you'll end up lifting too?

I think that's what he's getting at. I always thought this too! Like wella say as well about neutralising every level you go through!

Well yes and no lol. We all know the standard chart of undertones such as 6 is orange 8 is yellow but this is really designed to be as universal and standard as possible. In reality everyone has diffent amounts of pigments in their hair, so if you are seeing lots of orange in the hair, the undertone will still be orange when you are lifting with colour.

Basically the extra warmth is coming from the pheomelanin pigment in the hair, which ranges from yellow-orange. Normal hair colour can only lift out the brown eumelanin, but prelighteners are stong enough to also lift the pheomelanin.

adamlea87, you are the best! I love you! :*

Lol I love you too!!

Well yes and no lol. We all know the standard chart of undertones such as 6 is orange 8 is yellow but this is really designed to be as universal and standard as possible. In reality everyone has diffent amounts of pigments in their hair, so if you are seeing lots of orange in the hair, the undertone will still be orange when you are lifting with colour.

Basically the extra warmth is coming from the pheomelanin pigment in the hair, which ranges from yellow-orange. Normal hair colour can only lift out the brown eumelanin, but prelighteners are stong enough to also lift the pheomelanin.

So basically, for example me, with tons of red, even when you lift to a 9-10 you'll still see red?

I would say pretty much. But it depends on how red you are, sometimes I can achieve a warm-gold with high lift on a red head, but I would definatly use some blue in there!

There is one study that found black and blonde hair contains about 1℅ pheomelanin, brown hair 5% and red hair 33% IIRC although it will vary it's a lot of warmth to be exposing.

There is one study that found black and blonde hair contains about 1℅ pheomelanin, brown hair 5% and red hair 33% IIRC although it will vary it's a lot of warmth to be exposing.

Us redheads have the hard knock life👎

I think the original question was why you would need a green based highlifts, there are highlift browns that are more popular in Asian countries if you are lifting very dark hair the eumelanin can be black rather than brown but when you start to lift it it turns a reddish brown.

Latest posts

Back