When you see the hygienist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
I had such a horrendous experience yesterday at my hygienist I don't know whether to complain or whether it's normal and just me being over-whingey?!

She did the normal scaling which was painful as my teeth are sensitive but despite me asking her to stop a couple of times (like she said she would if I asked) she ploughed on through with barely a pause

Even worse was to come. I was given a mirror so I could watch her use an interdental brush and she poked it roughly between every tooth dry with no water or paste, and see-sawed roughly back and forth over and over on my gums, I could hardly see my teeth for blood at one point.

I did it myself today and it's possible to do it with much less force altho not the most pleasant sensation but I just felt butchered. My gums are still sore today.

I'm to use the interdental daily and go back in 3 months so she can do it again and see if it still bleeds as bad [emoji33]

Just wondering if this is normal practice, and I'm being a baby! X

Last edited:
I would ask to speak to the Practice Manager. Once you asked her to stop, she should have stopped. Technically you have withdrawn consent for the procedure at that time. I know she is probably under pressure with ttime slots etc but she has to remember she is dealing with human beings and not numbers.

I am probably a lucker on this site more that a regular poster but I would consider you as a very wise person and if could say no to your questions at the end of your post.

I had such a horrendous experience yesterday at my hygienist I don't know whether to complain or whether it's normal and just me being over-whingey?!

She did the normal scaling which was painful as my teeth are sensitive but despite me asking her to stop a couple of times (like she said she would if I asked) she ploughed on through with barely a pause

Even worse was to come. I was given a mirror so I could watch her use an interdental brush and she poked it roughly between every tooth dry with no water or paste, and see-sawed roughly back and forth over and over on my gums, I could hardly see my teeth for blood at one point.

I did it myself today and it's possible to do it with much less force altho not the most pleasant sensation but I just felt butchered. My gums are still sore today.

I'm to use the interdental daily and go back in 3 months so she can do it again and see if it still bleeds as bad [emoji33]

Just wondering if this is normal practice, and I'm being a baby! X

Poor you :(

Was this the hygienist you usually see or a locum? Either way, it sounds a little bit more than an enthusiastic deep clean.

I agree with Corkrose that the minute you asked her to stop, she should have or at least given you the opportunity to have your say (bleeding gums or no bleeding gums). :eek:

Coincidentally, I've also been recommended to use interdental brushes, and they are used without paste or water. However, gentle is the way to go, especially if your prone to bleeding.

You probably don't need me to tell you that regular flossing and interdental brushes are the way to improving oral health hygiene, but I do think the individual concerned should be made aware of the discomfort she caused you.

She's relatively new but I've seen her once before.

When I do mine at home, I can do just as thorough a job but slower and just more gently and not pressing so damn hard, and here and there there's a dot of blood shows itself but a million miles from what she did.

She'd just remarked that after giving my gums a poke round as she called it, with her tools, that they were nt bleeding and seemed in good shape

I'm going to phone and find out her name today

I hate the hygienist I struggle flossing on the bottom as I have a fixed retainer and she alwayssss comments on this and no matter how hard I try to floss or use the little brush things she's like you've not been doing it have you [emoji35][emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

I'm such a wuss too I have to go to the dental hospital in Manchester to have fillings done so I can be put to sleep [emoji85]

Poor you. That must have been very off putting.

Dental practices are a business like any other and patients will leave if they aren't happy with the quality of care. Tell the Practice Manager now whilst it's still fresh in your mind so that they have the opportunity to speak to the hygienist and improve her customer service skills. Definitely sounds like a training opportunity to me.

At my previous dental surgery I saw a young dentist who was quite rough. He wasn't there the next time (6 months later) and when I mentioned my experience, the receptionist agreed and said they'd had a few complaints about him.

I hate the hygienist and dread going but for years now I go every 3 months as for some reason I am pre to plaque build up even though I don't drink sugary drinks or have sweets regularly. I only like a certain hygienist or my dentist doing it as when I had another one, it really hurt. It's never comfortable and I have to count in my head and try and distract myself until it's over but it does depend who does it as some people are just more gentle! I use the brushes and electric toothbrush and every time we go through the same conversation of how I Should be holding the brush etc! For the next day my gums feel really sensitive.

Daydreams that sounds like a very nice normal appt.

Daydreams that sounds like a very nice normal appt.
I think I am a bit of a wimp tbh. I have been going every 3 months for years and it never gets any easier! I don't know what I Hate more, smear tests or the hygienist lol although I have managed to ignore my appts for the former for the last couple of years and just keep throwing the reminder letters away! Hope you are feeling better now after your experience.

I'd have a smear test every day rather than see that hygienist again - I feel traumatised

Thank you, I can't believe I didn't get up and walk out but it didn't occur to me that I could do that

I had a similar experience years ago.
I explained I had sensitive teeth and it was painful getting them scaled and that I struggle to floss as my teeth are so tight together.
My teeth were covered in blood by the end of it and my gums were sore for a few days.
I changed dentists after that and thankfully my current dentist is great.

I found her on FB and she graduated last year.

My hygienist gives me anaesthetic injections, much better and no pain.

Welcome back!! Nice time?

A general would have been better the other day [emoji22]

Welcome back!! Nice time?

A general would have been better the other day [emoji22]

Still away, briefly finding free WiFi and checking in. Sadly have bronchitis and suffering despite lovely surroundings.

Really sad you're in pain, it's not right

Sorry to hear you're suffering Trinity, hope you're soon well enough to enjoy the rest of your hols xx

Anyone know if you're free to see a dental hygienist from another surgery other than where your dentist is? I really like my dentist and have great faith in him and want him to re-do a bridge for me soon maybe with some whitening but I'm damned if I'm seeing that hygienist again and one of my clients works at a nearby surgery and says their hygienist is excellent

Anyone know if you're free to see a dental hygienist from another surgery other than where your dentist is? I really like my dentist and have great faith in him and want him to re-do a bridge for me soon maybe with some whitening but I'm damned if I'm seeing that hygienist again and one of my clients works at a nearby surgery and says their hygienist is excellent

I think it depends on the surgery and hygenist - I think there was a legislation change recently that allows you to visit a hygenist without a dentist referral, but my surgery doesn't allow it. I'll see if I can find the details...

Here you go:-

http://www.gdc-uk.org/Dentalprofessionals/Standards/Pages/directaccessqas.aspx

It does say it's not a 'requirement' - which explains why my dentist doesn't allow it.

Thank you trinity. [emoji5]️

So if the new hygienist will see me, I wonder if they will they feed back to my dentist? I don't want to pi55 him off ... I still want him to do my bridge

I might have to phone and ask I think

Latest posts

Back