Where am I going wrong? Finding clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geekling

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm just after abit of advice really, Iv been advertising for a good few months now (coming up 8ish months), not constantly as I'm still studying my level 3 beauty at college, but Iv been spending time at least once every two weeks.

I offer shellac & fresh indulgence spray tanning.

I have a Facebook page, Iv read the promoting buisness thread and done most of those things, I also have a Facebook friend page (I know it's not allowed but I needed to do something) I regularly post, photos of my own nails offers and appointments available.

Iv only had a few enquiries, no actual clients!

I'm really struggling and am at a total loss, I really feel like selling everything and just giving up.

I charge £20.00 for a shellac manicure and even tried an offer of £15 but I don't want to do any less. Spray tanning I do £15.00 and then £10.00 on offer.

Friends and family aren't too interested as they can get it cheaper here an there.

Iv emailed school, clubs etc in my area offering vouchers, some of them have taken them but still no business enquiries from there.

Has anyone got any advice on what I else I can do? I feel like my family are laughing at me as they said this wouldn't work and now it hasn't...

Thanks in advance!

My Facebook page is linked below (it's my friend page but my like page is linked)

https://m.facebook.com/#!/ohsobeautiful.ashington?__user=100000180004181

so sorry you feel like giving up.

it takes time when you are starting up but the most important thing is toget your name out there again and again and again and to get at least one or 2 models/clients so that they can start telling people how good you are too. Try putting pics on your facebook constantly, even if its only pics of your own nails.

If companies/schools are not relpying to emails then go and knock on doors, let them meet you and see that you are passionate about what you do.

Lastly have confidence and believe in yourself, pick yourself up and keep going, it will happen but you have to believe that it will!!

good luck x

Hi,

You seem like you have tried it all but don't give up :)
Like souz said you have to believe in yourself, if you don't others won't.
I watched a documentary called the secret and its all about positive thinking ,well worth a look. It literally changed my thinking ways and change my life lol.

Hi,

You seem like you have tried it all but don't give up :)
Like souz said you have to believe in yourself, if you don't others won't.
I watched a documentary called the secret and its all about positive thinking ,well worth a look. It literally changed my thinking ways and change my life lol.
I read the book
It's changed my life too :)

I read the book
It's changed my life too :)

It's amazing isn't it!

I'd totally recommend it Hun.try and get the documentary on you tube or the book. There's an Oprah Winfrey chat show about it to.

You've done all the graft but Just say for instance (not saying you do btw) one was to go into a workplace to hand out flyers and what not,,, now if one were to go in with the attitude " god this is a waste of time/this wont work/ I bet no one books again etc " then u no what I bet you wouldn't walk out with any bookings.

However if the mind set was changed and one went into that same work place with flyers with the attitude " I'm going to leave her with 5 bookings/a contact to hold an event etc" then I can bet my bottom dollar that one would leave with just that.

Thanks for your replies ladies, ill look into the documentary/book!

I think I'm just feeling so deflated after a year of it, the beauty industry is so hard to get into!

Ill keep trying though. Regularly updating my Facebook etc!

Thanks again!

It can take up to 18 months for a business to really get off the ground. Sometimes it takes a bit of luck meeting the right people along the way too ..

It can take up to 18 months for a business to really get off the ground. Sometimes it takes a bit of luck meeting the right people along the way too ..

Thanks, yeah I wasn't expecting to be earning or anything like that, just a few clients here and there really! Xx

Just added you on Fb :)
Don't lower your prices, learn from my mistakes :)

Just added you on Fb :)
Don't lower your prices, learn from my mistakes :)

Thanks! Yeah I'd really hate to, I use good products and I offer at least a decent service. Some in my area use knock off shellac! I just wish I could find clients that understand that! Xx

I just wondered what you meant by friends and family aren't that interested as they can get it cheaper here and there? Do you mean cheaper locally or cheaper from you?

Was thinking if you chose a couple of friends, ask them if you could do their nails at cost or very cheap, but you decide what you do to their nails.... Do something that really stands out and would make people comment on their nail? Choose some friends you know are out and about a lot, in the pubs and clubs or ones that work in a big company or where they see lots of people, give them some business cards ask them to hand them out if people ask and if you get more bookings bonus, they've got lovely nails a bit cheaper you've got new clients :) also 'recommend a friend cards'?

they work :)

Keep at it it will pay off in the end :)

I just wondered what you meant by friends and family aren't that interested as they can get it cheaper here and there? Do you mean cheaper locally or cheaper from you?

Was thinking if you chose a couple of friends, ask them if you could do their nails at cost or very cheap, but you decide what you do to their nails.... Do something that really stands out and would make people comment on their nail? Choose some friends you know are out and about a lot, in the pubs and clubs or ones that work in a big company or where they see lots of people, give them some business cards ask them to hand them out if people ask and if you get more bookings bonus, they've got lovely nails a bit cheaper you've got new clients :) also 'recommend a friend cards'?

They can get it cheaper other places! It's mad in my area!

That's a great idea! I might do this and see if it gets me any where, I have a friend who's a hair dresser so she might be a good try!! Thanks for the idea! I'm going to try and get a few of them interested this week!!

I have recommend a friend cards with discounts etc but no customers as yet to give them to! :) xx

Also,what kind of nails do you think would stand out best? Xx

That's good if you already have them even if you have friends that don't and wouldn't have their own nails done just give them to them to hand out to their friends? Just reaches out to people you don't know but they are more likely to come to you if your their friends friend :)

I'd go for something really sparky, not to in your face, some bright colours with a bit of glitter, I quite often just put glitter on the cuticle area so it blends down through the nail, or even find something on the Internet that you like the look of, practice doing your own version, if you are choosing it and they are getting it cheaper you can do you what you thinks best, and a hair dresser is perfect, she could recommend a work friend and they could both show off their nails?

I think it would pay off, if you did it with 5 friends and those 5 showed their friends, there's so many people who would see your work :) its worth doing just to get you started :)

You defo need all your friends and family to help you, even male friends, they all have mums, sisters, girlfriends, nans and aunties, I bet once you start asking everyone will take flyer or cards to work or randomly give to friends.

I did a lot of sales training for my other self employed work and I remember sitting down writing a list of everyone I know that I see, out of that list I wrote what they could do to help me, and once Id seen them I'd tick them off my list, you just need to ask anyone and everyone young and old, bet you'll be surprised who will help you promote your business, nans are brilliant, if you don't have your own a friends nan would talk about you to her friends and the older they are the more loyal they'll be,

Pick up your pen and paper lol you'll be well away in no time :) x

Thanks so much for your help!! It's given me the boost I needed! I think iv avoided friends and family as they were so against the idea of it! I'm going to give it a go now! Off to write my list I go! :) xx

Good luck :)

Thank you! My list is written, my friends are text and iv also written a list of places I can go into (I'm off college for 2 days so going to spend my time doing this) and ask if I can leave business cards & price list!

Oh and iv downloaded the secret! Looking forward to reading it!

Thanks to all of you, of course I can do it if I really want it! :) xx

Well iv got 2 friends getting their nails done this week, One I'm doing them as a birthday present and the other at cost price! Iv also ripped my sister in for a spray tan and going to do my mums nails this week for her too! :) hopefully my 2 friends will give some cards etc out, and my mum and sister can just be used for photos! :) I work with my mum so would be pointless giving her cards lol xx

Latest posts

Back