Where is the beauty industry heading?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What concerns me about the industry is that it seems to be turning into a "hobby" or part time thing. Either people who work in other jobs doing evenings or people on benefits doing a bit of cash in hand on the side.
There have always been professional therapists working from home, just as we have always had professional therapists working in salons. That part has never bothered me.
It is the switch from beauty therapy being a person's career to being just a way of earning a few extra quid that bothers me.
Beauty therapy has always been learnt at college, and defined by qualifications. One day courses used to be used to update or upgrade a professional therapists knowledge. I use them for my staff for that purpose.

Now we find ourselves in a situation where people call themselves "professionals" after one day of training. Beauty therapy is struggling to be a full time job for people, and standards have dropped overall. Few "qualified" therapists pass a standard trade test after leaving college, so they go mobile in the hope of earning enough. Not an ideal situation for the industry.

Good training gets slated as being too time consuming or too expensive. They all want to be "professionals" in a day. It really doesnt work like that.

I really hope the industry, aided by the insurers and habia gets its act together before it completely loses all credibility in the eyes of the paying public.

This problem isn't new, it's across the board with all trades! There's that many of us, good and bad. The good will stay in business with happy clients and the bad will be out of business very quickly. And if not, the bad will have the kind of clients we don't really want!

This problem isn't new, it's across the board with all trades! There's that many of us, good and bad. The good will stay in business with happy clients and the bad will be out of business very quickly. And if not, the bad will have the kind of clients we don't really want!

Exactly!! :wink2:

What concerns me about the industry is that it seems to be turning into a "hobby" or part time thing. Either people who work in other jobs doing evenings or people on benefits doing a bit of cash in hand on the side.
There have always been professional therapists working from home, just as we have always had professional therapists working in salons. That part has never bothered me.
It is the switch from beauty therapy being a person's career to being just a way of earning a few extra quid that bothers me.
Beauty therapy has always been learnt at college, and defined by qualifications. One day courses used to be used to update or upgrade a professional therapists knowledge. I use them for my staff for that purpose.

Now we find ourselves in a situation where people call themselves "professionals" after one day of training. Beauty therapy is struggling to be a full time job for people, and standards have dropped overall. Few "qualified" therapists pass a standard trade test after leaving college, so they go mobile in the hope of earning enough. Not an ideal situation for the industry.

Good training gets slated as being too time consuming or too expensive. They all want to be "professionals" in a day. It really doesnt work like that.

I really hope the industry, aided by the insurers and habia gets its act together before it completely loses all credibility in the eyes of the paying public.

Totally agree with everything said here.

For those out there with the correct credentials and training, when it comes to advertising put those credentials on your business cards/flyers or FB/own website. Push the fact that you are highly trained and skilled at what you do. Use the letters after your name if it is appropriate.

I also joined professional bodies and am active in my field, I continue to educate myself every month and my clients know I am probably the best in the area and they don't go anywhere else. There will also be clients I don't get because they want cheap but I am not wasting my blood sweat and tears on them unless they pay my rates, I am happy for them to go elsewhere as I am not working for peanuts on them that is for sure!

I couldn`t of said it better my self I totally agree with you :) x

one of my clients works at my local college in enrolment and last week they had the opening day for short xmas courses which one of them was `cater for your own nails` or something like that `it is basically a course for everyone to attend so they can learn to groom their own nails` anyway this woman turned up to enrol and said to her that she wanted to set up a business doing foil nails on toes `only`, my client then asked her have you got a manicure and pedicure qualification or any beauty qualification? she said No. But wanted to know if at the end of this course she could charge people for doing foils, nails etc.. she was told that after the course she would not receive a qualification `3 days only` , after this the lady responded oh well not like anyone will ask anyway :eek:. My client out of curiosity asked her what she did now and she responded oh i do nails, hair etc... and charges. She told her to do a beauty course or something equivilant and she responded oh no that will take too long. Seriously what the hell is going on???

I think one of the biggest problems is undercutting other businesses. Its all very well charging less if your nearest competitor is a high end spa and uses high end products but its therapists that set up in direct competition and drastically cut their prices to entice clients from another business. They are usually the ones that then moan about hobby techs undercutting them.

Another problem is therapists that have never really taken their career anywhere and just do friends/family and so on in the kitchen charging rock bottom prices. I know people from college that have done this and charge £10 for pedicures, back massage, manicures etc I had a friend of a friend ask if I could fit her in for a massage as her usual kitchen mafia therapist was on holiday and she actually questioned my prices as they were 50% more :eek: not the sort of client I want !

i have seen a lot of girls advertising on facebook around my area charging £3 for a manicure, £5 a pedicure nail extensions £15 roughly and some are still at college and yes i agree with you the clients they get are not the sort of clients i want nether.

I think one of the biggest problems is undercutting other businesses. Its all very well charging less if your nearest competitor is a high end spa and uses high end products but its therapists that set up in direct competition and drastically cut their prices to entice clients from another business. They are usually the ones that then moan about hobby techs undercutting them.

Another problem is therapists that have never really taken their career anywhere and just do friends/family and so on in the kitchen charging rock bottom prices. I know people from college that have done this and charge £10 for pedicures, back massage, manicures etc I had a friend of a friend ask if I could fit her in for a massage as her usual kitchen mafia therapist was on holiday and she actually questioned my prices as they were 50% more :eek: not the sort of client I want !

Last edited:
I think what you have said is a bit unfair to people working at home. You could easily do it too? People working from home doesn't make then any less professional. For some people it's that fact they have children, or just have a spare room. Sorry if you didn't mean it like this but it's a bit offensive for home salon owners. :)

I'm sorry I didn't mean it to sound offensive. I no a lot of therapists who have worked there buts off and set up at home. But I also no a lot more who go on these one day courses an set up in there home. They charge pennies for the treatments because in ur home u haven't got the worry of covering high overheads(not being offensive, just realistic) I cant compete with those prices I would have to pack up! There are lots around me starting to do it, and it justs downgrades our professions.
There has even been these one day beauty courses advertised on group on for £30!! Sorry if I caused offense I was just concentrating on all the non pro's around me making me mad! Xx

I agree entirely. I know nothing about the beauty industry/training, but the same has happened in massage and complementary therapies. Years ago I was approached to set up short courses for hairdressers to learn a head, neck and shoulder massage for clients. I didn't follow it through as I did not feel it was ethical. OK - could have cashed in on it as others certainly have, but if people are paying around £50 an hour for a treatment they deserve far more than a therapist who has been on a one/two day training course. It's a con IMO and does not benefit our industry or the public's opinion of the benefits of massage.
Massage standards in the UK have been dumbed down. I know beauty massage is different, but like you mention - one day courses were for CPD/further learning, not diploma courses. Now you can do sports massage in one day! What! I have an email sitting in my inbox somewhere where it is all but admitted by one of the main examining boards that the new level 4 sports massage is the same syllabus as the old level 3. Level 3 is just a basic massage course with a few sports massage techniques thrown in.:mad: Unfortunately, level 3 sports massage isn't worth the paper it's written on now, and as for the 1 / 2 day courses! Same with aromatherapy and I could go on, but it doesn't do our industry any good. Yes, good training is expensive but it is the same in other areas. It is an investment, not a get a diploma and earn money quickly solution. Sadly none of these short courses and many of the longer courses VCTC etc. meet the national occupational standards. What does that say?

I'm sorry I didn't mean it to sound offensive. I no a lot of therapists who have worked there buts off and set up at home. But I also no a lot more who go on these one day courses an set up in there home. They charge pennies for the treatments because in ur home u haven't got the worry of covering high overheads(not being offensive, just realistic) I cant compete with those prices I would have to pack up! There are lots around me starting to do it, and it justs downgrades our professions.
There has even been these one day beauty courses advertised on group on for £30!! Sorry if I caused offense I was just concentrating on all the non pro's around me making me mad! Xx

Oh right, well I do really get what you mean but unfortunately these people are everwhere, not just in home saline. They are working in salons aswell. And it's tough you know, but at the end of the day a client will Susa them out in the end and clients with high standards will want a therapist with the same standards. I know it's annoying but hopefully these people will phase out. Just don't tar all home salons with the same brush. :) x

I have to agree with this

Sent from my GT-S5670 using SalonGeek

I agree that lots of people do nails/beauty as a hobby these days. Lots of them would never dream of doing a proper NVQ course because it takes a long time to qualify. They want it quick and they want it now. So they do a one day course and call themselves qualified nail technician/beautician. This is soo wrong. The only solution would be if insurance companies stopped insuring them. Although I have a suspicion lots of them would be happy to work without insurance.
It's unbelievable where this industry is going. 1 day courses should only be available to fully qualified nail technicians/beauty therapists.

1 day courses should only be available to fully qualified nail technicians/beauty therapists.

Totally agree with this. Refresher/improvement courses for those already qualified. Will it ever happen though?? Doubt it very much :rolleyes:

The only solution would be if insurance companies stopped insuring them.

TOTALLY agree with this statement. One day courses IMO are great for cpd etc, and great as "tasters" into the industry (this was, afterall, how I started on my beauty career). But I do believe that insurers should NOT offer treatment insurance to those that have only undertaken 1 or 2 day courses. From the naive students' perspective, they possibly think that as they can get insurance, then the course they are doing is enough for them to claim they are professional iykwim.

The only solution would be if insurance companies stopped insuring them

But I do believe that insurers should NOT offer treatment insurance to those that have only undertaken 1 or 2 day courses

This is the problem. I think there are those who think being able to get insurance is proof that they are of professional standard, but insurance companies are profit making companyies who base their criteria on risk. Insurance is based on risk not on competance and definately not on quality.

It is only through regulation that things will change and at the moment that regulation is voluntary. I believe it is Habia for beauty, CNHC for massage and complementary therapies and until such time regulation becomes compulsory, these courses that do not meet national minimum standards will continue and the insurance companies will continue to provide insurance.

Last edited:
I agree that lots of people do nails/beauty as a hobby these days. Lots of them would never dream of doing a proper NVQ course because it takes a long time to qualify. They want it quick and they want it now. So they do a one day course and call themselves qualified nail technician/beautician. This is soo wrong. The only solution would be if insurance companies stopped insuring them. Although I have a suspicion lots of them would be happy to work without insurance.
It's unbelievable where this industry is going. 1 day courses should only be available to fully qualified nail technicians/beauty therapists.

WOW I can't believe they can even get insurance?? It makes me mad too. Even one of my actual clients turned friend has done a few one day courses and now offering them to people on facebook. The good news is she is smart enough to know that she needs to do her NVQ's asap!!!

I know everyone will not agree with this but had to make a point!

I did a one day course mani & pedi followed by 3 days at bio sculpture. My sister did an nvq at evening school and when we compared the areas covered it was the same content, just day courses are extremely intense.

I have work at a salon and work alongside therapists that are fully nvq 2 & 3 qualified and clients request that I do there nails and complain if anyone else does them. I also have lots of returning clients that I do mobile. I have insurance and feel I give the same service (if not better than others) that are nvq trained.

I am a great believer that some people have a natural talent and others could train all there life a still be no good especially where nails are concerned. I know some won't agree but the proof is at the salon that I work at with my clients, sorry :/

. The day courses are extremly

I completely agree with this. From I was a little girl, my dream career was to be a beauty therapist. Out of all my graduating college class, only about 4 of us are still in the industry, the rest left as it wasn't a 'proper' career, or their wasn't 'any money in it'.

I think one day courses should be to further your professional qualifucations and skills.

I am also concerned with how the industry is going, I hope we are all still here in 10 years. I think prices have dropped as clients now have so much choice with who, and where to go. So it's become cut throat. I think the best advice is to keep your prices in the medium to high bracket, this in my expereience, attracts better, more loyal clients. Good thread xx

Latest posts

Back