Where is the beauty industry heading?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautyathome

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else has been thinking about this but kind of worries me that everyone lately seems to be qualifying as beauty therapists, nail technician, tanning etc... Where i live a lot of people are setting up and the worst thing about it is some are charging very little :eek:. Some of my clients have bought products such as minx etc off ebay and doing it on them selves to save money and now set up doing it for friends and family.
Girls are doing a one day course then setting up doing spray tans for only £5 some £10 :eek: i used to be really busy with spray tans and even though people say my tans are really good im never busy with them, but people charging them prices are. Im really thinking about training into something else what is it going to be like 10 years from now :Scared: lol?
What are thoughts on this? should only qualified beauty therapists be allowed to train in one day courses? :)

I have to agree with you beautyathome everybody is at it at the moment! I can't actually believe you are allowed to qualify to do facials and massage in ONE DAY. Maybe I should have MUG tattooed across my forehead for actually paying a fortune and spending a lot of time qualifying in my CIBTAC Beauty Aesthetics and Body Therapy, followed by ITEC Reflexology, VTCT Hot Stones and Indian Head Massage......the list goes on!

People always think I am a little crazy for spending on advertising but in this day and age with all the competition it seems you have to initially. As I always say there are so many doing this now that qualify after a day you have to let people know you are out there!

I totally agree with you slot of people I know have been ebaying and getting cheep products and doing there own nails and these 1day courses to become qualified I'm not a beauty therapist and I did do an intensive course for nails but it was slot longer than 1day and I sturdied for months.I think the prices people charge do make a difference because people think there getting a bargain wen actualy there not getting a propa treatment there getting a half arsed treatment.we take pride in our work but it does make it harder for us.there is a lot of Chinese nail bars in my town 7 in total and they charge cheep prices which makes it hard for me all we can do is keep going and hope that people c that were true to our work xx

I think about this all the time haha!!! From SG I hear of so many opening up from home. And soon whats the point in us paying £15k -£20k+ for a lease plus rates and rent when everyones being able to doge this by setting up at home! All the local schools are putting salons in them which is encouraging all girls to choose hair & beauty.
I love my job but I even tell all my regulars I don't think I'll be doing it in 10yrs, coz every qualified beauty therapist will be workin from home and they'll be a few salons on every street! Hahah!
It is worrying! x

I don't think working from home is a bad thing I work from home coz I have a lil gal I think wot is bad if your just a regular person no qualifications doing nails from home :evil: especially when we have all worked hard to get where we are :biggrin:

Thank you for your fast reply OBIC :biggrin: im glad you agree as i thought it was just me being unfair. I have spent thousands of pounds on training and still training today to improve my skills. It really angers me that these days no one is interested in the amount of years someone has been qualified or the amount of training we have had but most seem to be bothered about the pricing of treatments. Do insurance companies actually insure people that have qualified after just a one day course? :biggrin: I keep busy and i get a lot of word of mouth but im a little scared as i mentioned already before i used to be really busy with tans and now im not, what will it be like in a few years from now will people go for the pricing of treatments or the quality?? x

Honestly yes there are clients who always wants the cheapest deal but are these the clients we ultimately want? We want to deal with people who enjoy our services and cones back because of more than just a pricetag?!! It is sad it has become this way but not much anyone can do about it until it is regulated and rules are changes. I believe it is unfair however to slate everyone who does these courses, there are those who even though they have not done NVQ level are passionate and seek knowledge beyond that one day course and go learn more techniques and research and really commit beyond that day! It's hard because I see where you are coming from but at the same time there are many on here who really worked hard to get where they are even if it all began with that 1 say course that spiked their interest! What I would say is as there is not much we can do about it we have to try to see the positive, maybe this can be a way for the others to shine, go above and beyond, show their professionalism and how things are really supposed to be done!! We need to move away from costing and not so much focus on cheap and cheaper bit rather BETTER! We need to move away the focus on price and focus on quality, service level, professionalism and above all results. That is why people will chose you and not the others and the business's that think like this are the businesses that will ride through any recession. Quality over quantity. Work on just being the best you can be in every aspect from your website, branding to your attention to detail. If you focus on that price is no longer as important.

www.theextensionist.com

I think there will be people who want to "have a go" in every industry. I have been to interviews with salon managers who have no beauty experience/training whatsoever. It shows, trust me.

There were a lot of people on my beauty courses but not everyone wants to do it as a career. I know people who went on to do all sorts of things after nvq3 nails including a law degree, nurse training and public services to name but a few. What I'm saying is that people will always train to do beauty and some will leave it as a hobby, some will do it on the side and some will make a living from it. I think the industry has always had "have a go at it" people but it's just what it is and I don't find it worrying because a good therapist will be easy to spot in the treatment results :)

I also have spent thousands on courses and my equipment all from genuine companies and let's face it u get wot u pay for:biggrin:I wouldn't dreamof goin on eBay buying my stuff but to others it's cheep and easy plus you don't have to be a professional to buy stuff off there lol just my essential nail stuff plus bits and bobs has cost me £3000 that's without all my special bits and my training to go with it lol bloody eBay :evil::evil::evil:

I think about this all the time haha!!! From SG I hear of so many opening up from home. And soon whats the point in us paying £15k -£20k+ for a lease plus rates and rent when everyones being able to doge this by setting up at home! All the local schools are putting salons in them which is encouraging all girls to choose hair & beauty.
I love my job but I even tell all my regulars I don't think I'll be doing it in 10yrs, coz every qualified beauty therapist will be workin from home and they'll be a few salons on every street! Hahah!
It is worrying! x

I think what you have said is a bit unfair to people working at home. You could easily do it too? People working from home doesn't make then any less professional. For some people it's that fact they have children, or just have a spare room. Sorry if you didn't mean it like this but it's a bit offensive for home salon owners. :)

Honestly yes there are clients who always wants the cheapest deal but are these the clients we ultimately want? We want to deal with people who enjoy our services and cones back because of more than just a pricetag?!! It is sad it has become this way but not much anyone can do about it until it is regulated and rules are changes. I believe it is unfair however to slate everyone who does these courses, there are those who even though they have not done NVQ level are passionate and seek knowledge beyond that one day course and go learn more techniques and research and really commit beyond that day! It's hard because I see where you are coming from but at the same time there are many on here who really worked hard to get where they are even if it all began with that 1 say course that spiked their interest! What I would say is as there is not much we can do about it we have to try to see the positive, maybe this can be a way for the others to shine, go above and beyond, show their professionalism and how things are really supposed to be done!! We need to move away from costin and not so much focus on cheap and cheaper bit rather BETTER! We need to move away the focus on price and focus on quality, service level, professionalism and above all results. That is why people will chose you and not the others and the business's that think like this are the businesses that will ride through any recession. Quality over quantity. Work on just being the best you can be in every aspect from your website, branding to your attention to detail. If you focus on that price is no longer as important.

THE EXTENSIONIST | Mobile Hair Extensions in London
good post I like it I didn't go to college had a bit of training but did spent a good amountof money to do it I havnt got an nvq but my work is good and I practiced for months and months after my corse before I got myself out there so I'm with u on that one :biggrin:

i work from home and i am mobile and to be fair i prefer working from home as i spend most of my time and the chiropractor sorting my back out due to doing all the mobile work lol but hey its got to be done. The big tanning companies, beauty wholesalers etc are to be partially blamed as they are the ones offering the one day courses to none qualified people and yes colleges asking businesses to send their info in so they can advertise the beauty industry to all students `i was asked to do this`

I think what you have said is a bit unfair to people working at home. You could easily do it too? People working from home doesn't make then any less professional. For some people it's that fact they have children, or just have a spare room. Sorry if you didn't mean it like this but it's a bit offensive for home salon owners. :)

Hear hear I said this in my later post I work from home because I have a lil gal and I don't want my own salon YET I'm happy at home and I don't want to pay thousands to have a salon when I'm happy tickling along doing wot I do I have great admiration for people that have a salon as I would love one one day but I'm happy where I am for now:biggrin:

I wasn't qualified when I took my nail corse I don't think this makes me any less deserving than somebody that is a beauty therapist that has taken a corse I am now a qualified nail tech as I have my certificate and my certificate in mani and pedi I worked hard for this and spent months studieing after I was qualified:biggrin:

It is worrying! x

I think that is a little bit of subject.
Op was talking about how easy it is for people who are making money from 1day courses when people like us have trained hard to get where we are.
Working from home or from a salon if we are successful then what's the difference!?
Being mobile is nothing to do with "dodging rates" it means it's more convenient. Everyone's lifestyles are different so we have to accommodate to suit them!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone 4 using SalonGeek

Yeah exactly I feel the same.

Alot of the people maybe start of working for home as its not as big as owning a salon. Runnung a salon is a big deal so people may want to try it out at home first to get to grips with the business side of things. I know that's my thinking for the future. And then some people just don't want the drama of having staff and want to fly solo. There is nothing wrong with it. :)

Honestly yes there are clients who always wants the cheapest deal but are these the clients we ultimately want? We want to deal with people who enjoy our services and cones back because of more than just a pricetag?!! It is sad it has become this way but not much anyone can do about it until it is regulated and rules are changes. I believe it is unfair however to slate everyone who does these courses, there are those who even though they have not done NVQ level are passionate and seek knowledge beyond that one day course and go learn more techniques and research and really commit beyond that day! It's hard because I see where you are coming from but at the same time there are many on here who really worked hard to get where they are even if it all began with that 1 say course that spiked their interest! What I would say is as there is not much we can do about it we have to try to see the positive, maybe this can be a way for the others to shine, go above and beyond, show their professionalism and how things are really supposed to be done!! We need to move away from costing and not so much focus on cheap and cheaper bit rather BETTER! We need to move away the focus on price and focus on quality, service level, professionalism and above all results. That is why people will chose you and not the others and the business's that think like this are the businesses that will ride through any recession. Quality over quantity. Work on just being the best you can be in every aspect from your website, branding to your attention to detail. If you focus on that price is no longer as important.

THE EXTENSIONIST | Mobile Hair Extensions in London
I am not slating everyone that does these courses, but i disagree with the fact that anyone can just go there and gain a qualification after just one day `with no experience in the industry` when people like me has spent many years and a lot of money on training `its unfair`. I know there are genuine people that want to pursue this career and the one day course is the only way they can start but surely after just one day what will they learn? in the long run you will need further training to improve your skills, build confidence etc... So what i am saying is make it a little harder for people to start and only the true passionate people will pursue it` When i started my ITEC Beauty course nine years ago i had five jobs to pay for the course and that was because the beauty route was a passion. it is far to easy to become a nail technician, tanning therapist etc.. now a days and due to this people that want to do it for just friends, family, themselves can just go on these courses. Surely in the long run this will effect all of us therapists as most people will be able to do their own treatments or a friend or family member will be able to do it for them. Not against anyone who wants a career in beauty therapy just against quick fix courses.

Last edited:
Kat I completely agree with you!!! Why did I spend 3 years in college working my butt off only for someone that works in tescos to come along and do a one day course and call themselves a 'beauty therapist' it really does wind me up! Then they bodge everyone's treatments up and give our industry a bad name!!!
I can't see myself doing anything other than beauty like ever lol I think you just have to try and win over your clients. They may go somewhere else to the half job bob but they will always come back when they realise you actually pay for what you get!!! Xxx

There is alot of people in my area working from home. One girl is advertising on facebook as fill an appointment on xxx day minx as little as £10, spray tan's £8.00, acrylic nails £15.00. Now she is doing shellac, how she is doing shellac I donm't know because I know she does nail extension's but not manicure's and pedicure's, so she's only doing basic treatment's. She's even doing cluster lashes which she has no beauty experince so how she's doing them and getting insurance. She's round the corner from me. I see it that she maybe competition but she's in a different to me. I'm 10 years qualified in all beauty treatment's, I did 2 years at college and 2 part-time jobs around college. I have worked hard in the 10 years and still work my arse off. In 10 years time I see myself still in the beauty industry and this girl who's doing cheap treatments and no qualification's I give her a year!!!!!

The key is to keep advertising, don't drop your price's. Client's don't have spray tan's every week personally I think it's for specail occasion's. One salon in my area is doing a yearly fee of £50.00 and you get unlimited spray tan's for £12.00 a time.

I'm just about to set up from home but have worked hard to get to this stage. I have spent a fortune on training and equipment over the years and have now just laid out somewhere in the region of £15,000 setting up from home and I'm not finished yet. I fail to see how that's any different to paying rent and rates over a year for a premises on a high street and classes me as unprofessional/not serious just because I'm doing it from home????

In reference to the OP's point, it is annoying that all these one day courses exist but as has been said on here so many times, the quality of their work will NOT get them repeat business. The people offering cheaper services will NOT stay in business for very long, as they will not be able to keep replenishing their stocks and charge such a ridiculous amount to their clients, that they will therefore have to put their prices up at some point and the client who wants it on the cheap will then go somewhere else etc etc.

If I had any doubt or concerns about this, I would absolutely not have just ploughed all this money, time and extra training to enable me to set all this up now. Don't worry :hug:

Latest posts

Back