Which professional makeup products to use?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jellybelly06

Reaction score
Hiya- I'm currently doing a Cosmetic Makeup Course and wondered which are the best makeup products/ companies to go for. I'm ok with nails but a bit clueless with the makeup. I like the idea of using mineral products after doing a bit of research. Do any of you use mineral makeup and what do you think or should I go for something different?
Thanks for your answers.:hug:

I use TiGi's make-up range. Its not that well know and is great. It really sells well too.

I use Bare Escentuals and like it very much I am about to look at Jane Iredale too which gets rave reviews.

I have posted more info on Geegs thread requesting make up info.
hth's

I use Bare Escentuals and like it very much I am about to look at Jane Iredale too which gets rave reviews.

I have posted more info on Geegs thread requesting make up info.
hth's

Hi Martigirl, I have heard of Bare Escentuals and liked the idea of them. When I looked at the Jane Iredale site their products looked great and they sent me a huge pack of info for my college course. They have also featured in this month's Scratch and in the BABTAC 'Vitality' magazine- big article in there. They were lovely and really helpful, also offering training in their products (like most companies) when you buy from them. The only thing that has initially caused me problems because of only just trying to start out in beauty is that Jane Iredale is quite expensive. They do have wholesale prices but I don't think I am qualified enough yet to buy wholesale from them myself.

Do you have a link to Geeg's thread please? Thanks for your help!

No idea how to do a l thread link sorry.

It's Geegs thread asking for Skin Geeks Help.

Although Mineral makeup is initially expensive because it is so heavily pigmented a little lasts a long long time so it actually works out cheaper in the long run as far as I am concerned
hth's

Thanks Martigirl, I did find Geeg's thread yesterday. I understand what you are saying about the pigment and all the manufacturers are saying a 'little goes a long way'. I have some in the post as we speak so will try it out and see how I get on. Thanks again for your help!

Hiya- I'm currently doing a Cosmetic Makeup Course....

Hi :green:

I wouldn't tie yourself to one brand of makeup, lots of good brand names offer fab makeup artist discounts so choosing the best products from several brands is the way professional makeup artists go.

This is, of course, unless you're planning on retailing products, which I don't do as a makeup artist, so can't help you in that area....

hth

Hi :green:

I wouldn't tie yourself to one brand of makeup, lots of good brand names offer fab makeup artist discounts so choosing the best products from several brands is the way professional makeup artists go.

This is, of course, unless you're planning on retailing products, which I don't do as a makeup artist, so can't help you in that area....

hth
I agree with Amy,far better to get lots of different products with a good variety in colours.

We stock and use Darphin make-up and I have to say that I dont rate their variety very highly.(this in only their make-up,I must say though)

We used to have lots of differnt products from different ranges but not anymore and sometimes I find myself at a loss at the small amount of choice.

Far better not to limit yourself,but dont go for cheap brands.They dont last and the colour quality is quite often not so pronounced as it appears.They can take forever to build the colours up as well which is not cost effective at all.HTH

I wasn't planning on buying cheap brands because I want to offer a professional service. It is interesting to see that you both stock a variety of brands though, not limiting yourselves to one. I was wondering if it would look better to stick with one brand for the sake of presentation but maybe it would just make you look limited and not open to new ideas and products? Or do some of you think it looks better to the client if your loyalties are with one company? I guess this also applies to nail products too.

I wasn't planning on buying cheap brands because I want to offer a professional service. It is interesting to see that you both stock a variety of brands though, not limiting yourselves to one. I was wondering if it would look better to stick with one brand for the sake of presentation but maybe it would just make you look limited and not open to new ideas and products? Or do some of you think it looks better to the client if your loyalties are with one company? I guess this also applies to nail products too.

Presentation wise it looks great having the make-up range all on display with the title of the range on the stand,however,from a personal point of view there is no reason why you couldn't have this and a make up box with lots of extras.

If it were my salon this is what I would do,in fact I am starting my own mobile business shortly and am in the throws of sorting my make-up range out.I can tell you that I am not in the position at the moment to have a particular make-up brand,no point anyway to be honest as I cant carry a stand round with me.

I already have a lot of products from when I was mobile before but I will be investing in lots of different products from differnt ranges,i.e Estee Lauder,mac,Stila,Clinique to name a few.

The only trouble with this is from the retail point of view.

I think bare escensuals or Jane iredale would be a great retail product as it can be used directly after a facial and be great for make-up lessons (as they are so easy to use). Yes its good to have several of your fave products when doing make-ups but its more business like to try & retail products (after all retailing pays for your overheads). Just make sure your business can justify the investment.

I think Jane Iredale do open day events where they send in a pro make-up artist and you book your clients in with them to help boost sales.

Latest posts

Back