Which purple-what to do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuzyG

Reaction score
Hi Geeks. I'll try my best to Inc all info needed! Here goes....
I have a client which is naturally about a 7 base with about 20% grey and she currently has a full head of 2bleach foils to 1 8.73 koleston foil. And now wants to go purple with a dark root stretch. I'll post a pic of what she wants. Now as she is already very light I was thinking maybe I don't need to pre lighten as it might be quite nice the purple having a few different tones to it. So was thinking of doing a small root stretch first using something like 5.7 with a touch of 5.0, wash and blast then put the purple all over. What do you think? I've not used a colour like this before so a bit unsure if that method is correct so hoping for some advice from someone who has dabbled with purple before! Thanks for reading xxx

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-11-11-15-43-10.png
    Screenshot_2017-11-11-15-43-10.png
    684.8 KB · Views: 68
I asked a very similar question yesterday and received no replies as yet. The purple I want is a darker version. Today I did two test samples of my clients hair using inoa 5.20 and 4.20 dia colour both looked good. Was on a simular base to your clients. To make lighter I would mix clear in. Half and half. If it was me id do root stretch then purple straight after no washing off.
I may glaze my clients colour after with a clear gloss to aid coverage and to male it look extra shiney. Hope this helps.

I asked a very similar question yesterday and received no replies as yet. The purple I want is a darker version. Today I did two test samples of my clients hair using inoa 5.20 and 4.20 dia colour both looked good. Was on a simular base to your clients. To make lighter I would mix clear in. Half and half. If it was me id do root stretch then purple straight after no washing off.
I may glaze my clients colour after with a clear gloss to aid coverage and to male it look extra shiney. Hope this helps.
Thanks for that! Yes I saw your post after I'd pots mine. Km nit familiar with inoa so I'll look into that! The only reason I wanted to do the root stretch first is because I worry about the join on the colours. I'd die if there was some blonde I'd missed on the join! I know it's more time consuming but I think I'd worry too much that its not thorough.
I'm not sure what a clear gloss is, Is that something by inoa? Xx

Dia colour do a clear. Otherwise you may need to double process your purple so it holds. Iv seen some manic panic colours similar to the one you want but im not experienced in those and Iv been reading up and people commenting they fade green.

A
Dia colour do a clear. Otherwise you may need to double process your purple so it holds. Iv seen some manic panic colours similar to the one you want but im not experienced in those and Iv been reading up and people commenting they fade green.
gree

Some direct dyes such as crazy colour do but Manic panic doesn't fade out green.

Some direct dyes such as crazy colour do but Manic panic doesn't fade out green.
Oh lovely thanks for your reply. I was going to recommenx a purple depositing conditioner too. Do u have experience with any?

I used to have purple hair (pre-lightened base) and I found Pravana Vivids and Ultra Indigo we’re the best colours that would fade to a pink shade rather than green but you’d need to pastel them and your client will need a conditioner with colour to refresh as it’s hard to keep,like platinum.

Thank you. Do you half and half with the pastel?

It varies,with direct dyes you can see the colour darken as you add purple to the pasteliser/conditioner to get the desired colour. You can get ready mixed lilacs but do stay away from Crazy Color as AcidPerm said,they do fade to a turquoise/green.

That's good to know about that fading green, I had no idea! I was in salons direct today so I asked them what there best sellers where for these types of colours and they pointed me in the direction of crazy colour which I didn't buy because I felt it was a bit unprofessional. I want something to develop really.
When you say 'pastel them' are you talking about the pastel developer from wella?
This is the first time I'm looking into this type of colour so I'm clueless xx

Crazy Color do have their place and I’ve used Cyclamen to refresh mahogany ,they are also at trade shows.
When you need to lift to a level 9/10 blonde-and then tone to get the ash base,it is hard to get the pastel lilac to hold.
I would use conditioner to dilute a direct dye (like Manic Panic,Ion or Directions for example) rather than buying pasteliser- Pravana do a pasteliser but I think it is an extra expense. Personally I would do several test strands to test colours before hand. The client needs to be aware that pastels do fade quite quickly-Olaplex would also help with the porosity.

Have you tried # colourfulhair by loreal u can add the deep bright purple but also cancel down to a blush shade if needs be it' fabulous xx

I really have no idea what I'm going to do! She's booked in for Tuesday night and I'm really non the wiser. I thought I'd managed yo dodge the 'fashion colour' craze! Oh Christ! X

You will do great I'm sure go with what your comfortable with we all use different colours/ brands distributors eg so we can't actually tell you what to do what do you actually use and preferred brand xx

Your so right Jendan.
I have a clear plan in mind now! I'm going to start with a clean palate by doing a very gentle bleach wash before hand, do my root stretch then I'm going to use crazy colour lavender but with the odd lavander mixed with conditioner scattered in a slice throughout.
Ahh, I feel better now. Wish me luck for Tuesday night ladies xxx

I did it.
I used Crazy colour lavender.
I did pre lighten the hair before hand which I'm pleased i did because it still didn't pick up the lavender in parts despite how light she was to start with.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-11-22-10-30-56.png
    Screenshot_2017-11-22-10-30-56.png
    494.2 KB · Views: 26

Latest posts

Back