Whick l&p product is the least stinkies??????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~bec~

Reaction score
I currently use gel but would like to do an acrylic course but my only problem is that the smell makes me queezzzzzyyy. Wich of the acrylic products is the less stinky???

~bec~ said:
I currently use gel but would like to do an acrylic course but my only problem is that the smell makes me queezzzzzyyy. Wich of the acrylic products is the less stinky???

Hiya Bec!

I honestly think that Creative Retention+ is the least stinky monomer I've used, my blokey can't stand the smell of monomer but he never complains after I have used that monomer so.... let Chris's nose be your guide!!

J xx

I can't remember which catalogue it was, but they suggested burning essential oils in the salon (probably best with an aroma stone or other electric burner asI don't think a candle and l&p would mix well!:) ).
Would this, coupled with a good extractor, help mask or remove the smell?
Am training in acrylic in October, but I'm not much looking forward to the smell either - I seem to have a very strong sense of smell, so could be less-than-fun!

Lol x

bimbogeri said:
I can't remember which catalogue it was, but they suggested burning essential oils in the salon (probably best with an aroma stone or other electric burner asI don't think a candle and l&p would mix well!:) ).
Am training in acrylic in October, but I'm not much looking forward to the smell either - I seem to have a very strong sense of smell, so could be less-than-fun!

Lol x

Thats a good idea Bimbogeri, I think it was Nailorder Catalogue that suggested it and they sell some of the oils too, definitely worth a try! J xx

thanks guys, i will look into the creative Retention+ stuff. And i love oils.

A hairdresser i know said her other half cant stand the smell either!! what is it with men?? Arent they supposed to be tough??

Ah, you're right, it was Nail Order. Also, was on the Essentially Oils page this morning (www.essentiallyoils.com) after reading the post about dropper bottles (unfortunately the 3ml ones are only in amber glass :( ) and saw that their AromaStone was £5 less than Ellisons, so will def give that a try, but for now it has to go on my wishlist heading under 'If I open a home salon'... I have four headings 'Training', 'Equipment I need', 'Equipment I want' and 'Salon' - the most expensive things are under 'Salon', and that comes bottom of the list cos it's not relevant until I've trained and know where I'll be living.

I digress, anyway! I have a friend who sells soap making equipment and will ask him if his fragrance oils are suitable for burning as he has some of the loveliest (sp?? why does that look wrong?) scents!

x

I just don't smell it anymore - guess it must run through the blood now!!! ;)

Same for me! I don't smell it which winds Chris up as when he makes a song and dance about it I just laugh at him usually! Goes down realllly well! :D J xx

The least odor---well that would be Radical, Retention+ and Moxie for me...

At this point, I LOVE the smell......the first client of the day, when I pour a bit into my dappen dish..... its the BEST odor........ :D

however, throughout the middle to the end of my day.. can't smell it anymore.. I'm like Mrs. Geek--it's in my veins..........

occasionally the thought runs through my mind.. when I first smell the monomer........... SMELLS LIKE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

MissNailPro said:
The least odor---well that would be Radical, Retention+ and Moxie for me...

At this point, I LOVE the smell......the first client of the day, when I pour a bit into my dappen dish..... its the BEST odor........ :D

however, throughout the middle to the end of my day.. can't smell it anymore.. I'm like Mrs. Geek--it's in my veins..........

occasionally the thought runs through my mind.. when I first smell the monomer........... SMELLS LIKE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Hi Melissa!!!!

You know folks it was Melissa who first got me into Creative, about 14 months ago I sent her an email asking how she created such beautiful thin enhancements and she replied with simply 'Retention +'!! And darn it if she wasn't right! Thanks Melissa I still owe ya! J xx

Jo Jo said:
Hi Melissa!!!!

You know folks it was Melissa who first got me into Creative, about 14 months ago I sent her an email asking how she created such beautiful thin enhancements and she replied with simply 'Retention +'!! And darn it if she wasn't right! Thanks Melissa I still owe ya! J xx

Hi Jo!

Wow- was it really 14 months ago? Already?? Whew time files..um I mean flies! ;)

Well I am glad to hear that you are loving Retention+ as I do :D "My blood runneth Retention" :biggrin:

Great to hear from you Jo... hope all is well with you & yours.......

Stay Creative!

I trained with Star Nails VF21 Lyte - a UV cured l&p - it doesn't smell at all ! I don't think the end result is as good as other brands tho - sorry, useless input, i know - but if you really can't stand that smell, it might be worth a go?

Parlour-Made Nails said:
I trained with Star Nails VF21 Lyte - a UV cured l&p - it doesn't smell at all ! I don't think the end result is as good as other brands tho - sorry, useless input, i know - but if you really can't stand that smell, it might be worth a go?
Seriously - not useless input and VF21 doesn't smell but yes, it does have it's problems as do various non-smelling products because they simply CANNOT work as well (see Doug Schoon or GMG or Geeg for more in depth explanation of why)! I think (on a personal level) I would prefer to use something that smells and works rather than something that doesn't and doesn't (did that make sense?):confused: I also know that in the long run, clients don't want to have to return every other day due to problems with a system with no smell - I would think that they would be happy to come every 3 weeks for no problems and a system that does!

BTW - what is it with smell - I always think it is part and parcel of what we do and with the amount of EASY things you can do to minimize odour I just don't see the problem - unless we make it one! :biggrin:

Thanks Mrs Geek!
I totaly agree - I couldn't believe the smell when I got my try-me-kit through last week, cos I'm just not used to it! However, the results of using this product were even more impressive, and more importantly, much longer -lasting than any smell!!!
As you said, the smell can be minimised, but the client has to spend the next 2-3wks with the results of the products you use, they'll soon forget about the smell, especially if they have AMAZING nails to show for it:D !!

Mrs Geek said:
I just don't smell it anymore - guess it must run through the blood now!!! ;)
lol.......... i will agree with you there:)

EzFlow Q monomer has 40% less odor than other traditional monomers

i have smelt both EzFlow Q monomer and CND R+ (when i was changing over products) and im sorry all you cnd geeks but Ezflow was less :rolleyes:

Jess
xox

ps- i dont make a habit of smelling the monomer some time ya just notice it...lol;)

I have to agree with Jessica here, I use Retention+ (a very good product might I add), but it IS strong to me. But I think they all have a pretty strong odor. I have used odorless systems too but I don't think they are not as good as systems WITH odor in terms of durability. The main thing is having a good ventilation system. Now if you want to talk about strong odor...nothing tops the cake like good ol' MMA!! Seriously, have any of you ever walked into/or past a NSS that uses MMA?? You get knocked out by the odor as soon as you walk in the door! I hate when they have those salons in the mall too, you can smell it before you even walk past it.

I'ved used Retention + and Q Monomer (EZ Flow) and I think that Q Monomer is not as strong as Retention +. Retention + is a deeper purple in colour than Q .... don't know if this has anything to do with strength of odour though.

As has already been said, they all smell. Some people love it, some people hate it. Personally, I dont really smell it anymore, a bit like your fave perfume, if you wear it every day you can't smell it but everyone else can!!

Provided that we take all measures to keep the vapours down...lid on dappen dish, covered metal bin etc we can try and reduce it to the minimum.

bimbogeri said:
bimbogeri said:
Am training in acrylic in October, but I'm not much looking forward to the smell either - I seem to have a very strong sense of smell, so could be less-than-fun
Everyone has a right to their opinion of course, but I have to genuinely say that having used EZF monomer (and I bet that JoJo would agree having switched from EZF) that Creative monomers have definitely the least strong odour of all monomers .... BUT ..... No monomer needs to be a problem when it comes to odour if the technician uses her brain and her education and learns to minimize the odour by employing a few simple methods of working that are cheap and effective.

Even tho Creative monomer is a low odour monomer, all CND classes teach form the word go some simple 'rules' that will reduce odour to practically nothing!!

1. Never wipe your brush on dry paper when you are working. If you must wipe your brush at all while working, wipe it on a lint free pad that has been dampened with Scrubfresh. This draws any monomer into the pad and the odour is gone. Wiping the brush on paper is the single biggest reason for monomer smell in the salon.

2. Always use a glass dappen dish with a lid and never plastic, or pumps such as Menda pumps. Vapours cannot leak through a glass dish with a lid.

3. Always store all rubbish in a covered metal waste bin. Vapours cannot leak through metal.

Employing these 3 simple rules will drastically reduce any monomer odour and there will be no need for arguments about "whose monomer has the least smell"!!

Hiya,

It's funny because recently alot of new clients that have started to coem to me have noticed that they cannot smell the products and i noted that if you store use and dispose correctly then minimil (spelling not good this morning, cant get my head round that today) odours will occurr!!

How do you think Herman carries on, he works with MMA (as a dental technician) all day then comes to my salon to do jobs, like Samantha said i think it runs in his blood too now!! thats why he looks like he does ;)

Amanda

I use ONS and to be honest, I can barely smell it, tried other products that can actually make you heave. Would'nt change now.

Latest posts

Back