White gel keeps snapping off of tips! Advice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRL4YOU

Reaction score
Hi ladies!

So I had a new client come in, she had nails done by a previous technician who used gel and only acrylic powder on her white tips.

So she comes to see me for a fill, I do the usual file down as much as I can of the acrylic, then applied white gel on her tips and then applied clear builder gel on her nail.

2 days later she's showing me pictures and only the gel on her tip is snapping off, you can see the previous acrylic white underneath! I buffed and filed her nail prior to applying the white gel and clear, is there a reason why it's not adhereing? Everywhere else on her nail is staying in tact except the tip that was applied on acrylic!

Advice please!

Thanks ladies xxx

You say you buffed and filed the nail... Did you buff the tip?

Xx

Yes I did the entire nail :( I filed it with an electric filer and then buffed afterwards! It's only the right hand that's doing it right now, perhaps I might need bulbs changed?

But if the acrylic has been filed and buffed correctly, the gel should adhere fine right?

Xxx

If you applied white gel over white acrylic I'd say it's a curing problem... That's why we use clear tips or forms when using white gel. It's so pigmented that it needs the UV light to penetrate it from both sides, ensuring a full cure.

Applying over white acrylic means it can only cure from one side and I think that's your problem.

I've only been doing gel for a few weeks so someone may have some better advice for you though!

Also, if her right hand is her dominant hand you will see the worst of the problems on that hand...

Xx

I agree that it is more than likely to be a curing problem due to the white tips not allowing the UV to penetrate. Another thing I was wondering, did you cap the tip ? Sometimes the gel pulls back from the edge and can chip or come off.

I would redo her tips in acrylic rather than gel as the curing will be a problem. I am not sure how to overcome that other than curing for a much longer time. Hopefully a more experienced nail geek than me will pop over with the solution.

Latest posts

Back