Who would like to be a kept woman?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

I blame the celebrity culture.
Is it just me, or can you not see that there is no merit in living off someone else?
Don't you want to create your own wealth? Don't you want to look at your business/career/life and think I did that, with my own hard work, brains, blood, sweat and tears?
Don't you want to flop into bed at night knackered from hard work?

I'll let you into a secret.
No doubt you will have heard of Rowntrees - the makers of After Eights, Black Magic, and the Yorkie bar?

My great grandfather founded that company. When my father got to the age where he could inherit some of that not inconsiderable wealth he turned it down.
"I make my own way in this world" he said, "and if have any sense at all, my girl, you will too"
Be dependent upon nobody but yourself, and take pride in your achievements.
Where is the pride in being a parasite?

I blame the celebrity culture.
Is it just me, or can you not see that there is no merit in living off someone else?
Don't you want to create your own wealth? Don't you want to look at your business/career/life and think I did that, with my own hard work, brains, blood, sweat and tears?
Don't you want to flop into bed at night knackered from hard work?

I'll let you into a secret.
No doubt you will have heard of Rowntrees - the makers of After Eights, Black Magic, and the Yorkie bar?

My great grandfather founded that company. When my father got to the age where he could inherit some of that not inconsiderable wealth he turned it down.
"I make my own way in this world" he said, "and if have any sense at all, my girl, you will too"
Be dependent upon nobody but yourself, and take pride in your achievements.
Where is the pride in being a parasite?

Wow. This question was simply a conversation started and mini social experiment. I have no desire to be a kept woman, in any way whatsoever, and doubt that in reality any self respecting woman would. It was simply a light hearted convo starter :)

I think the thought of it appeals to a lot of us...but I'm pretty sure everyone who has commented on this thread really couldn't live like that if we actually thought about it...we're all hard workers and love our jobs,bet no one on here generally means that they could sit and slob around all day living off someone else and have people do everything for you,even if they have replied on this thread saying that yeah they could xx

Essential Bliss Beauty Therapy

I wouldn't mind being a kept woman at all! so long as there's mutual respect and I didn't get bored I think I'd get used to it very quickly, yes I'm sure I could and I'm defiantly not a parasite ! I also like to be wined and dined have the door held open, and for him to pay the bill ! Burn the bra, no thanks ! Just to add I admire the suffragettes and all the modern thinking women in this world I'm just not one of them ! Oh and I have been single and had to keep a house, do all the DIY cut the grass put the oil in the car, put up fences, knock down walls dig the garden and all that jazz !

I think for me, after years of bringing up my two children with no financial help from their father and working for every penny that came into our household I'm quite precious about supporting myself and my children. My two children both know if you want something you have to work for it. I'm not in anyway saying that staying at home and running a home is wrong it's just not for me.
My partner could possibly support us so I didn't have to work but I like to know that the money I spend, I've earnt!

I earn my own money and therefore spend it on what the heck I like. Everyone respects that in this house and that's the way I like it.

So no, I wouldn't.

However, a month off sailing around the med would be very welcome right now. I'm not sure I could handle more than that though!

I think there are a lot of "kept" women whose partners are the financial supporters in the family and that affords them the opportunity of lives of leisure. However that doesn't automatically mean they're useless like the Khardashian clan.

There are many such women who are afforded this very lifestyle who do charity work and have philanthropic interests. They don't just lull about. Being "kept" also doesn't immediately imply that a women is subjugated either.

Many a strong woman has been married to a wealthy man and has gone on to lead rich rewarding lives of their own. Even though she could be termed "kept," I bet no one dared call her that....Eleanor Roosevelt is a prime example.

Last edited:
Actually thinking about it I suppose I am a kept woman! If I was single there is no way I would be able to afford the house I live in, the car I drive or the two beautiful (with no 3 on the way) children! My husband earns well more than I ever could, even if I began working every hour of the week! It's just the trade he's in- my income pays for the nice little extras, like the excessive amount of clothes my boys have, and the football shoes they grow out of every week! And you know what I wouldn't change it for the world! I have the best of both! I have a job I enjoy (but doesn't pay as much as my hubby) and I suppose if I had to I could give it up! and I have security (well as much ad you can when you own a company!!)

Me please.... Well actually I would probably get bored so maybe just work 2 days a week and the rest just shop go for lunch or just relax xxx

I personally wouldn't want to be.I love the beauty industry , I have a passion for business and I love being independent!

I was kept woman for 2 years and it was the worst 2 years of my life.

I hated having to ask for money etc and if we feel out my other half would not let my have any housing keeping for that day or week and I had to provide receipts for everything!!!

Being a kept women is being a controlled woman.

I had always earn my own money and always been able to pay my own way and couldn't wait to go back out to work and have financial freedom!

Actually thinking about it I suppose I am a kept woman! If I was single there is no way I would be able to afford the house I live in, the car I drive or the two beautiful (with no 3 on the way) children! My husband earns well more than I ever could, even if I began working every hour of the week! It's just the trade he's in- my income pays for the nice little extras, like the excessive amount of clothes my boys have, and the football shoes they grow out of every week! And you know what I wouldn't change it for the world! I have the best of both! I have a job I enjoy (but doesn't pay as much as my hubby) and I suppose if I had to I could give it up! and I have security (well as much ad you can when you own a company!!)

My boyfriend lets me live with him rent free... I contribute for petrol and food basically... We aren't well off at all as I'm a student and he's in a low paying job but sometimes I like to think he is 'keeping' me.. Even though I quite an independent feminist(ish) girl! <3

I was like this with my last partner. I have 2 boys, wanted us all to do things as a family. He wasn't interested, he would give me his bank card, "go take the boys out and have a good time" I use to go to my friends and cry! Just wanted him to be a part of their lives, not to buy me or them.

Anyway after a bottle of wine one evening, I told him to leave, he did it with not a second thought!

I have been with my current partner coming up for 2 years, had a baby girl in December just past, am on maternity leave and due to start college in September to do beauty therapy, my partner is a chef. We are not in the slightest "well-off" but we get by. I love him dearly as he has taken us as a whole package.

People say money can't bring you happiness I totally agree!

xxxx

Latest posts

Back