Why are some clients so insensitive?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lady Murasaki

Reaction score
I was doing a wedding this am and the mother of bride started to make small talk, how long have you been doing makeup etc, then the subject turned to children as she had her 2 year old granddaughter on her lap.

She ask me if I had children and I said no. She then went on to say, more women like me are waiting to have children later and that I would regret being an older mother it did I not like them?

I said it's wasn't a case of wanting to leave so long it's was the case that I can't have children, and then tried to change the subject.

She then went on to say, well, if you are going to leave it until your late 30s that's what happens, and your unfit (overweight) it was your choice, my daughter was sensible enough to have the early and is fit.

I was mortified and upset, yes I am bit overweight, but not being able to have children is a medical issue and not linked to my weight.

I thought really she would shut the F**k up then, but no. She kept saying well if that's what you've been told, but all women have choices.

Well I don't.

It was really awkward throughout the makeup application and I couldn't wait to leave!

Do any geeks have similar experiences with clients being insesative about things like this? And if so do you handle it?

I haven't had an experience like this but I wouldn't worry I had my first at 19 and a lot of people said I was far to young then if someone is older thats wrong !! I'm naturally slim and get people asking me if I eat so it's also wrong to be slim and wrong to be a bigger Sometimes people need to shut their mouths when it doesn't concern them [emoji36][emoji36][emoji36]

I often think people feel they can say to us what they want because we can't say anything back...
I've been called fat by a few of my clients so I know how you feel. It's horrible.
I don't think there's any way to handle it really. Everyone's got different opinions. Some people try and laugh it off, some get upset, some say kill them with kindness and some people say give as good as you get.
But it's hard in this profession!
Don't let it get to you too much, some people are just awful.

This is sad that the mother of the bride has no consideration nor respect for you as a person that is providing as service to her daughter. I'm also surprised that the daughter didn't have the Bulls to tell her mum that what she was saying is absolute rude. In your line of work and myself we learn to become thick skinned and though this is abysmal what she's said to you I always think this will condition you for future hard line clients. Don't take it to heart my lovely I find people who criticise others are usually unhappy in there own lives. Stay strong, be happy, and treat it like water off a ducks back. My little secret when I'm criticised is in keep smiling at them and tell them what you have got rather than them telling you what you haven't got xxxx

Awful I've had this in the past but I just shrug it off, I find a lot of elderly clients tend to have no filter, I've learned to be thick skinned now who cares what they think we are there to earn money, I just walk away and forget them!

Standard reply said with a withering look... 'Did you mean to be so rude?'

It's not clients per se, it's just some people in general who are incredibly rude.

Sorry she upset you but some people are unbelievably tactless. Just think of her as socially incompetent and don't let her nonsense affect you.

Imagine what kind of mother-in-law she must be and be thankful she's not yours. :eek:;)

What a horrible woman. As AcidPerm said, tactless. My husbands nan is like this and I actually just start laughing when she is being rude now and more often than not she says "am I doing it again?!" to which I smile and say "yep!" I am sorry that you have to deal with people telling you are will regret your choice when it's not your choice…and not their business. I often have friends with children telling that "you will want them one day…" and I don't know how many different ways I can tell them that their lifestyle is not my cup of tea…I guess one of these days my reply will offend one of them and then they will know how we feel on the other end of it all the time!
Try and forget your horrible morning and enjoy your Friday evening!

I am absolutely livid for you! I had been trying to conceive since the age of 25 to discover at 28 I am unable to have children naturally. I'm not overweight and classed as young. Infertility affects anyone no matter what the personal circumstances, nobody has a choice as she so rudely and insensitively put it. What a disgrace she is. I have had clients ask me about my plans for children not knowing my situation, and find myself changing the subject too. If they carry on, I just nip it in the bud with 'well some people can't have children can they' and that usually shuts them up. Then swiftly change topic. I genuinely find it a very personal thing to bring up. Bravo to you Lady Murasaki for keeping your cool, I don't know you but I'm Proud of you. I would have really struggled xxxx

Wow some people are just rude! Anyone who feels they have the right to be that hurtful and offensive to another, doesn't deserve to be listened to. Be happy that you will never, ever have to see her again :)

Shame that was so heartless!
I have had loads of older or "aunties" saying to me why are you not married what wrong with you?
Quite frankly my private life has nothing to do with my professional life. So I don't , unless they personal friends divulge any info. It takes practice to get the balance or skill right in not actually answering their questions. !

I'm sorry you had a crappy morning and also that you had the choice of conceiving taken away from you.

People can be so bloody rude and then they go about their business and you're left feeling rubbish all day.

I'm way too nice and just try and keep my cool until they've gone but I often wish I would be stronger and comment on their rudeness.

I hope you can put her out of your mind and forget about her x

How rude!

As @AcidPerm said. Some people just have no social skills whatsoever, I have a friend exactly the same because she didn't go to school for most of her life and doesn't go out much so now she doesn't know how to interact with people.

Some people just end up like that, they have no filter and no care for how the person they're asking will feel.

Clients have asked me in detail
What it's like to be so fat and how I plan on losing weight [emoji52]
I've also been told repeatedly I seem to smart to be doing this job and don't I want something more from my life..
Rude and ignorant.

Clients have asked me in detail
What it's like to be so fat and how I plan on losing weight [emoji52]
I've also been told repeatedly I seem to smart to be doing this job and don't I want something more from my life..
Rude and ignorant.
Wow....

Latest posts

Back