Why do I always get lifting?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missglitz

Reaction score
Hi everyone - just discovered this site and it is brill!
I'm really hoping that someone out there can help me.
Completed several short courses in extensions, manicure and pedicure so far and really enjoying what I've learnt. I trained with The Edge in "tip & dip" and Silk/fibreglass wrap systems so obviously both systems are resin based.
I'm always really pleased with the result at first - they look great and are always nice and strong but after a few days I always get lifting around the edges. I have tried experimenting myself and with a friend who also trained at the same time but we can't seem to find out what we're doing wrong. Is it something we are doing or is it the system we are using? I've booked in to do another course using UV gel and the more traditionla powder & liquid acrylic system in the hope of finding a system that I'm confident to use - will these still present the same problems?
Please help!!
Leean

Hi ya, welcome to the site x

Lifting is a nightmare im still trying to battle it myself, but since i have read the tutorial on here with regards to perfect preparation i seem to have calmed a little are you thorough with your prep?

Also with tip and dip its very easy to let the resin run onto the cuticle i myself often have that problem when i use my backscratchers tip and dip system especially when doing my own nails!, if it touches the cuticle it will lift normally straight away so you need to leave a small gap around the edges.

Just a few things to try and help but others will also guide you x x x

Hi Leean, Welcome to the site!

The lifting could be because of improper prep. Make sure you remove all the shine and cuticle from the nail plate. And also as kelly says, getting product onto the surrounding skin is a good way to encourage lifting :)

If you do a search, (top right of the page, just below the profile and log out buttons) you'll be able to find hundreds of different threads with good advice.

Another thing to look at is the tutorials, they're under premium geek - the second link along at the top left of the page.

And I'm sure other, more experienced geeks will be able to help, too.

Linzi x

Blimey - you guys ar quick!!
Thanks for your comments. I do try and be thorough with my prep but (you may find this shocking!) the training courses that I have done with The Edge have never mentioned using cuticle remover in my prep work. I was taught ti always sanitize, rough up and use acetone to dehydrate the nail and I've been really careful about doing just that and , as you mentioned, avoiding the cuticle when applying the resin. I will definately give the cuticle removal a go and see how I get on!
Thanks so much!!

missglitz said:
Thanks for your comments. I do try and be thorough with my prep but (you may find this shocking!) the training courses that I have done with The Edge have never mentioned using cuticle remover in my prep work. I was taught ti always sanitize, rough up and use acetone to dehydrate the nail and I've been really careful about doing just that and , as you mentioned, avoiding the cuticle when applying the resin. I will definately give the cuticle removal a go and see how I get on!
Thanks so much!!

Hi ya, definately check out the preparation tutorial as mentioned because you will be so surprised how much you didnt realise it would affect the nail, i was never taught to prep correctly at all until i found this site i didnt know to remove the cuticle either, so i printed off the tutorial and even now have to remind myself to do it thoroughly x x x

Ive just started using cuticle remover as i was getting a bit of lifting, and it seems to help. I know what you mean im doing VTCT course and we were taught nothing on prep! Its wrong really, its such a major part of it and it should be made clear to students/people learning.

GOOD LUCK
Keep us posted how you get on Xxx

when using any fibreglass system it's very important to avoid flooding the cuticle area and sidewalls with the resin, especially if you're not using a brush-on resin.
Prep is really important and I totally understand how you weren't taught to use a cuticle remover in your prep as this happened to me when I trained (with a diff company).
Don't get disheartened just yet, keep practising, try out a couple of other brands of fibreglass, many companies do try-me kits at reasonable prices (Designer Nails & EZFlow to name but 2).

missglitz said:
Thanks so much!!

Hiya....your quote above that i have highlighted in red....what do you mean rough up....what are you using to do this...?

Also remember its important to remove the cuticle remover when finished with a wash..i use water and citrusoak (from Creative). wiping alone will not remove the residue from the cuticle remover and cause lifting.

HTH xxxx

Hi - thanks for all replies.
When I said rough up - I meant taking off top gloss of nail lightly with a white sanding block. This was how I was taught so hope it's correct!
Put a set on someone last night and applied all the hints and suggestions that you all suggested - did some really thorough cuticle removing - cleaned off the cuticle remover with acetone afterwards (cos it was the only product I had at the time- hope that was good enough!), and was extra careful to avoid the cuticle with the resin.
They looked great and it didn't take too much longer really - still managed a full set in 1hr 35mins. Just keeping everything crossed now to see how well they wear - it was on a good friend so she'll be honest with me!!

missglitz said:
Hi - thanks for all replies.
When I said rough up - I meant taking off top gloss of nail lightly with a white sanding block. This was how I was taught so hope it's correct!
Put a set on someone last night and applied all the hints and suggestions that you all suggested - did some really thorough cuticle removing - cleaned off the cuticle remover with acetone afterwards (cos it was the only product I had at the time- hope that was good enough!), and was extra careful to avoid the cuticle with the resin.
They looked great and it didn't take too much longer really - still managed a full set in 1hr 35mins. Just keeping everything crossed now to see how well they wear - it was on a good friend so she'll be honest with me!!

hey that sounds great.....your timings are brill....i bet they last just fine and i am pleased you found all the tips helpful....well done you xxx

Fingers crossed!! :D If they are better then it's all down to you guys - this site is just brilliant!
I originally started doing nail course because I was so fed up with paying out quite a lot of money getting my nails done only for them very often to be of poor quality so decided I would learn and just do my own.
I enjoyed doing them so much that I then did further courses and I'm now doing nails for other people.
The trouble is although I really enjoy it I also worry a lot because I would hate someone to be dissapointed in my nails like I have been with others in the past. It's quite a responsibility isn't it?
Doing another course in a fortnight ( L & P and UV Gel) so just trying to learn as much as possible at the moment.
It's a nice feeling,though, to think that there is somewhere that you can get some genuine advice from people who really know what they are talking about!
Thanks everyone!!!:hug:

Latest posts

Back