Why do my acrylics suck?!?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aphrodites

Reaction score
I offer gels to my clients as i do these (i think) particularly well. However, i don't offer acrylics yet as i really suck!!! Take a look.......i know not all tips are same width because my client had really bad nail damage so there was not even a tiny free edge to stick too.

ON MY WEBSITE GALLERY

Where am i going wrong? I seem to struggle getting the correct consistency. When i dip my brush into monomer i wipe and wipe 1/2 again, add my polymer and it beads great but when i apply it's very soft and can sometimes run. Is it my brush?

HELP!!!!!

Sounds like to need to work on your ratio hun

Get a clear nail tip and practice...if you place the bead on the tip and it runs..wrong
if you place the bead on the tip and it don't move...wrong
But if you place the bead and it stays and you lightly press it should bounce up again..correct yayyyy lol :) xx

Sounds like to need to work on your ratio hun

Get a clear nail tip and practice...if you place the bead on the tip and it runs..wrong
if you place the bead on the tip and it don't move...wrong
But if you place the bead and it stays and you lightly press it should bounce up again..correct yayyyy lol :) xx

The beads does move but sometimes more than i would like. This tends to happen most when my brush seems almost too dry as when the monomer meets the polymer it doesnt completely mix and can look powdery still but when i put on the nail it can almost run... does that make sense? I am pressing but still it can spread too far. And i cant see it has spread over the edge until it's too late and has set even though i keep checking, maybe i need glasses. Therefore having to very gently file the sides so the product is off the skin (how terrible!!!!) which will only lead to lifting.. grrrr!!!!

I've even practiced for ages on bead sheets and they are fine, all differnt sizes. I wonder if my brush has anything to do with it. I might try a smaller one.... or maybe switch to another brand!!!

Maybe i should just stick to gel lol

What product are you using?

It sounds as though your trying to pick a bead up on the side you wiped which is why is seems dry and powdery..then once placed on the nail you using the belly of the brush too quick, which is maybe why you have a liquid overload. try using the front of your brush to push and press the product about.

Im not saying this why, but could be :) xx

What product are you using?

It sounds as though your trying to pick a bead up on the side you wiped which is why is seems dry and powdery..then once placed on the nail you using the belly of the brush too quick, which is maybe why you have a liquid overload. try using the front of your brush to push and press the product about.

Im not saying this why, but could be :) xx

Oh my.... i think you've cracked it lol!! That's exactly what i'm doing with my wiping and picking up and placing!! I will give it a go tomorrow on some tips and let you know if you've help solve my problem. Thank you :) xx

Last edited:
Hi, I've ordered gigi's book. Will have a look at the tutorials thank you. How do i find tutorials section? Will stop me wasting others time with my questions! X

Have a read of Geeg's fab tutorials on here, heres the link to one on about brush control http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/8671-brush-control-part-1-getting-grip.html
And another on mix ratio http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/8912-product-control-part-1-mix-ratio.html
If you search through you should also find some more informative tutorials.
Have you got Geeg's Nailclass book if not I can highly recomend you get yourself a copy. We call it the nail techs bible.
Hths
Jen xx

If you go to main forums section and scroll down you will find tutorials there hun.
HTHs
Jen xx

Latest posts

Back