Why do my nails all suddenly start breaking at once?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helbels

Reaction score
Hiya

I've been using Shellac on my nails for over a year now and LOVE IT. I'm an ex biter but my nails have been merrily growing away with the Shellac on, and had gradually got to a nice length (not over long, maybe about 5-6mm of free edge) over the past few months. Then suddenly over the past 2 weeks, 5 nails have broken in turn, right down by the start of the free edge, about half way across the nail bed :rolleyes: A couple of times I did "catch" them on something, but not particularly hard. Is it just that my nails have reached a length that they don't naturally want to grow beyond? I've now trimmed them all down and am starting again, but just curious if there's any reason why they will all suddenly start breaking together like this......

Hiya

I've been using Shellac on my nails for over a year now and LOVE IT. I'm an ex biter but my nails have been merrily growing away with the Shellac on, and had gradually got to a nice length (not over long, maybe about 5-6mm of free edge) over the past few months. Then suddenly over the past 2 weeks, 5 nails have broken in turn, right down by the start of the free edge, about half way across the nail bed :rolleyes: A couple of times I did "catch" them on something, but not particularly hard. Is it just that my nails have reached a length that they don't naturally want to grow beyond? I've now trimmed them all down and am starting again, but just curious if there's any reason why they will all suddenly start breaking together like this......

They have broken probably like most of us you have pushed them too far and yes, beyond the length which they want to be at. If you are catching them, they are too long. At a certain length nails will break right at the free edge so it makes sense to keep them a bit shorter.

I have the same nails, this week I have ripped 4 nails down the nail bed as they have just got too long and have caught as I have been moving items in and out of my salon.

Shellac protects them to a certain length and then they are just too long. I haven't had time to do my nails for 2 weeks but will be sitting down tonight to re-shellac,file down and fix them so they don't catch anymore. X

Latest posts

Back