Why do people say hurtful things when you talk about your aspirations?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The way I read that, was that she knows her friends would prefer more experienced therapist, and by experienced this can simply mean 'older'. I know from working in a hair salon, that some clients will simply prefer to have an older stylist doing their hair, and I think the connotation is that they will be more 'experienced'.

Even if she was being bitchy, and up-supportive, on the other hand I think in some situations, peoples family and friends can be overly-positive about their new business ventures, lulling them into a false sense of security. (not meaning to sound negative lol)

This is true...some people prefer to an older therapist because it can be less uncomfortable for them perhaps. I'm a plus sized lady in my mid twenties though so still not convinced that her use of the word "experienced" was meant in the kindest way possible (she's said/implied that I'm not experienced or cut out for this business before).

I totally agree with what you say about the false sense of security. It reminds me of those X Factor auditions where people are like "but my friends and family think I'm great" lol! I think I'm more of a realist in the sense that I don't think I'll make my fortune from self employment. I'm just doing it for the experience and some pocket money to be honest and then if anything more comes of it then that's a bonus :)

As your name states, you are definitely unique. You're very lucky to be supported by such lovely people. I find it very hard to find positive people in my day to day life. Apart from on SG, where are they?

Haha often told I'm one of a kind :)

I am blessed to have my family and I am grateful for them every day.

My friends, I chose. I learnt the hard way when I was a teenager that a small number of reliable friends are all you need in life. And with them I know they are there for me whenever I need them day or night and vice versa, If I get a call at 4am I'll be there. But you'll only find out who your true friends really are when the going gets tough, a lot of people I thought were my friends were nowhere to be seen when I needed them the most, and those that were there I've held on tight to.
My husband is another kettle of fish. He is a worrier. never negative towards me, fully supportive yet we are the total opposite of each other - we keep each other balanced. There isn't an alpha or dominant one in our relationship. We are equals... I make sure of it lol.

You can't let yourself be walked all over. I stand up for myself for my family and friends and for what I believe in. I was brought up like that.

And no matter how tough life is...I remind myself that things must fall apart before new things can begin to fall in to place. So I give myself a shake, stand up straight hold my head high and look forward :) and if I get a day where I don't feel like it (nobody can be positive 24/7) one of my friends or family will be there to do the shaking and lifting for me and give me an almighty kick up the behind to get on with it :)

I was taught growing up that you've got to believe in yourself before others can believe in you.
If you want something, you've got to work your wee butt off to earn it, when all your hard work pays off you'll reap the benefits.

All very deep but true <3

And to the op. Good on you....I agree. Let their negativity spur you on and prove them wrong :) something to aim for xx

My mother in law is the same with everything me and my husband do. I find it highly amusing tbh. She doesn't have a good word to say to us. She's always moaning and picking about our choices from work to how we raise our children to how we decorate our home! However if she's out and about she brags about us- fantastic face painter, fantastic kids, beautiful home etc! Its just the way she is, I just laugh at her now!

I have found that my family have been super supportive, they have helped with promoting my business and really are my biggest fans! The people that annoy me are the ones who ask what you do and when you reply with 'nails/beauty' they say 'well everyone does that you can't make any money'! I usually just respond with well watch me!

I love proving people wrong, use their negative comments and let it drive you then they can shove their negativity up their bums! Saying well I did it and letting then watch you become successful is enough for me!

Ignore her and work hard and I'm sure you will be very successful! X

My father in law has always put my husband down, ever since he can remember. He never gave him any support snd always told him he'd amount to nothing.

And in a way I'm glad because if he hadn't my husband wouldn't have the "prove them wrong" attitude. He is very successful in almost everything he does and has really excelled himself. He put himself through uni and now gets headhunted for top jobs. I won't go on bragging but let's just say we're a lot better off than his father has ever been.

His father won't speak to him now because he is bitter and jealous of my husband's success. If you ask me, he's sick in the head! I'm glad this negative person is no longer in our, or our children's lives to poison it.

Latest posts

Back