Why doesn't CND offer an LED lamp for Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helbels

Reaction score
Hi

This isn't a whinge or a moan - just a question as I'm genuinely curious!

Is there a reason why CND don't offer a LED lamp for Shellac? Is it that Shellac won't cure with an LED lamp due to the nature of the product? Or just that CND haven't got round to it yet?:)

Does anyone know?

Helen x

I believe Shellac can only be UV cured......:)

Shellac needs a specific UV lamp that CND took a long time to develop.

I definatley don't think it's a case of them 'just not getting around to it yet'.

They spent a lot of time money and effort to invent a totally unique product and lamp to cure that product to perfection.

Led is also uv. But led won't cure shellac. Yet.

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

Even If Shellac could be cured by LED I would find it unnecessary cos I can't paint the other hand in less than two minutes anyway lol :lol:

Even If Shellac could be cured by LED I would find it unnecessary cos I can't paint the other hand in less than two minutes anyway lol :lol:

Exactly! Never understood the obsession with LED UV lamps. I'm sure eventually we will see a CND LED lamp at some point ... But that is in the instant future as that is how lighting is moving.

Mat

Exactly! Never understood the obsession with LED UV lamps. I'm sure eventually we will see a CND LED lamp at some point ... But that is in the instant future as that is how lighting is moving.

This has all been said before, but I'll explain it again:

LED is not some miracle new type of curing.
It is simply a different type of bulb that uses less energy to light up...
UV gel needs the right amount UV output precisely to cure and unless you match this perfectly to the level of photo initiators in your UV gel product you won't get full polymerisation

CND may well produce an LED lamp one day - but bear in mind it took Doug Schoon years of exhaustive testing to produce the perfect UV output combination and reflection chamber....

For CND to look at changing to LED is not as simple as changing the bulb - it means completely re-engineering the entire lamp to ensure correct and full UV exposure at precisely the levels needed...

hth's

Although for all reasons stated I doubt they will make an led for some time if at all, doesn't an led bulb last a lot longer than a uv one? Just curious x

Although for all reasons stated I doubt they will make an led for some time if at all, doesn't an led bulb last a lot longer than a uv one? Just curious x

the LED bulbs do last longer - at least as far as visible light... but UV output is VERY difficult to keep at peak levels and I'm yet to see convincing (illumination industry) studies that it actually keeps this output longer than traditional UV bulbs..

I'm sure if you've had a normal UV bulb that even when the timer says it needs replacing it still glows strongly like the day it was bought... Yep thats because visible light is so much easier to produce even though it's no longer producing enought Ultra violet (which of course we can't see)

hth's

the LED bulbs do last longer - at least as far as visible light... but UV output is VERY difficult to keep at peak levels and I'm yet to see convincing (illumination industry) studies that it actually keeps this output longer than traditional UV bulbs..

I think it is unlikely that companies like Harmony would be able to say things like "LED 18G lamp has consistent power and performance from the first second out of the box through the 50,000thhour" if they hadn't actually tested it.

I know a lot of people are sceptical about LED lamps (and obviously if your product will not cure with it there is no point even thinking about it), and they are still expensive, but once you have used one you will never go back to a traditional UV lamp.

My post should have said distant future.

There are many sites talking about LED UV technology. I have for example found quotes from Fujifilm directors talking about them, and one advantage is there is 'little or no uv drop off' in UV output over the life of the bulb.

This technology (UV curing) is used in many industries, printing being one. So a lot of research is being done into it.

One interesting comment was that LED UV emits a different wavelength to Mercury Halide UV bulbs. So te point is that Shellac could be designed to cure under the X wavelength UV that LED bulbs do not yet generate.

Something to remember here is that Shellac isn't a gel polish ... It is a new formulation that CND developed through extensive research. Not how
So many of the new products are described as 'gel.....' or a Gel Polish.

Mat

I think it is unlikely that companies like Harmony would be able to say things like "LED 18G lamp has consistent power and performance from the first second out of the box through the 50,000thhour" if they hadn't actually tested it.
I would sincerely hope you are right - and my comment was not aimed at any specific LED supplier

It's more a commentary on LED information & effeciency reports within the lighting & illumination industry. The only reports I have read through are related to LED UV steralisers, rather than controlled UV curing for polymers..

shock horror, we have cured CND Shellac with our LED Harmony light.... no trouble at all!

shock horror, we have cured CND Shellac with our LED Harmony light.... no trouble at all!

You cannot SEE undercuring. You may be overexposing your clients. Please use the CND lamp. Just saying...x

Oh dear oh dear!!!

an insurance nightmare me thinks, you cannot feel uncuring or see uncuring this happens at a molecular level, lack of understanding the process does not make it ok to use an led lamp to cure all gel systems or shellac, but hay ho can't stop a messer from messing!

And your insurance won't cover you.

CND created Shellac and also have a lamp that works in harmony with this system.

Why would you think that anything less will work?? :sad:

You think you have cured Shellac with an LED (I've done it too, on myself), but you really don't know. Truth is, you don't know if you've cured any gel polish with any lamp - we're taking the manufacturer's word for it that if you followed the directions, it has cured. Service breakdown is the only way we can tell if it hasn't cured. CND says Shellac isn't formulated to cure under LED. Given that there's no incentive for them to mislead on this point, I'm inclined to believe them. And if something goes wrong with a client because you used LED - you're out there on that limb by yourself. For every person who says they've cured Shellac with LED, I know one who says it didn't, especially the deep colours like Fedora. All we can say at this point is that curing Shellac with an LED is inconsistent, at best.

Last edited:
You cannot SEE undercuring. You may be overexposing your clients. Please use the CND lamp. Just saying...x

Just saying I have the Gelish 6G LED and the CND UV :)

Latest posts

Back