Why doesn't CND offer an LED lamp for Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's called "marketing". CND doesn't make an LED lamp so they tell you you can't use one. This article refutes that, as can I: Pure Spa Direct Blog: Will my Gelish LED Light Cure CND Shellac Polish?

Skincare and haircare regimens suggest the same process. Use all components of one line or the products won't work. Do you all use one line for all your needs? Silly! My ahampoo and my hairspray are different brands! Gasp! You use what works.

So sick of all the rudeness of the CND people. Two lamps have simply stopped working. Overpriced. I've begun using an LED lamp and am THRILLED with the results and the saving of time, as are my clients. If you want to fall for marketing bs, feel free but don't rage on those of us who actually TRIED different methods and are happy. I can pretty much guarantee that CND will come out with an LED lamp eventually. They've been behind the industry on the whole process even though they have the most money. I don't get it.

I use a variety products in my manicures, pedicures, gels and acrylics. Tried and true after 20+ years in this business. I use what works for me, not what a mega million dollar company tells me to use.

Please be respectful of my different e of opinion as I am of yours. Go for it if it works for you! Gees! Some of these posts are simply an embarrassment to those in our profession.

It's called "marketing". CND doesn't make an LED lamp so they tell you you can't use one. This article refutes that, as can I: Pure Spa Direct Blog: Will my Gelish LED Light Cure CND Shellac Polish?

Skincare and haircare regimens suggest the same process. Use all components of one line or the products won't work. Do you all use one line for all your needs? Silly! My ahampoo and my hairspray are different brands! Gasp! You use what works.

So sick of all the rudeness of the CND people. Two lamps have simply stopped working. Overpriced. I've begun using an LED lamp and am THRILLED with the results and the saving of time, as are my clients. If you want to fall for marketing bs, feel free but don't rage on those of us who actually TRIED different methods and are happy. I can pretty much guarantee that CND will come out with an LED lamp eventually. They've been behind the industry on the whole process even though they have the most money. I don't get it.

I use a variety products in my manicures, pedicures, gels and acrylics. Tried and true after 20+ years in this business. I use what works for me, not what a mega million dollar company tells me to use.

Please be respectful of my different e of opinion as I am of yours. Go for it if it works for you! Gees! Some of these posts are simply an embarrassment to those in our profession.

Your ignorant post is the biggest embarrassment to the profession here in this thread ! Obviously your 20 year old education needs updating and pronto but of course you know better than all the experts. :D. Yea, right! We should listen to you but not Doug Schoon nor Paul from OPI nor those who designed their systems to work in synergy.:rolleyes:

I can put all the ingredients for a cake together in a bowl without measuring too, but the cake I bake isn't as good as when I follow the recipe and use the nicest ingredients. Duh!

So because some man in a blog says that you can cure shellac by led then we all should believe it.

How silly, CND have an amazing product. Yes it may seem fine but can you tell whether it has cured properly????

I for one use the CND lamp & Brisa lamp as I will use the one for my system. If CND decide to bring out a LED to go with that system then I will buy it but until then I will stick to my lamps that are MADE for Shellac.

If you don't want to buy the shellac lamp then don't use shellac with another lamp as it will create service breakdown and give shellac a bad name.

"Opinions" aside... a study of 1 is irrelevant. Some people smoke, just because 1 person doesn't get lung cancer, it does not mean that smoking does not increase the risk of getting lung cancer... a lot. How irresponsible would it be if one person that smoked didn't die and someone was like "See, they smoked and they didn't die from it! Everybody, smoke all you like!"... Same principle, albeit more life-threatening.

As hundreds of posts have stated, you cannot 'see' under curing, you cannot 'see' the over exposure you may be subjecting your trusting clients too. So what works 'fine' for you, may not work 'fine' for a newbie who has bought a cheap LED lamp off eBay. It may not even be 'fine' for you.

As i'm sure you know, it's all about the wavelengths and their power, how do you measure yours to ensure it's correct for Shellac? Do you have a device that measures your lamps UV index and it's range? Then do you do the calculations that you can cure it in 30 seconds?

And speaking as a consumer... if I went in to a salon for a genuine shellac service and I was presented with a 3rd party, untested lamp, I would be out of there like a shot. I have done in the past, and I will continue to do so in the future for any system. I think it looks unprofessional and the scientist inside me screams for a large-scale study. I'm worried that of they are willing to put my health at risk through possible over exposure... what else may they do? Clever marketing? Perhaps, but the lack of any testing for other lamps makes me not care if it is or not. No untested system is going near my hands, sorry that's just my opinion. I'm sure there are a lot of people who wouldn't notice, wouldn't understand the difference or just wouldn't care.

X

Don't forget, insurance companies in the UK have confirmed your insurance would be void if you used anything other than a CND lamp as it would not be the full system used.

It's called "marketing". CND doesn't make an LED lamp so they tell you you can't use one. This article refutes that, as can I

This is not an Article...it is a blog.

An Article would be written by someone of standing with the credentials to back up his facts.
A blog can be written by any Tom Dick or Harry, or in this case Doug from Hicksville.
We have had links to his blogs before, and I wasn't impressed then, as I could not find out what his background was, so I am not impressed now.

I am not one for blind allegiance to any product line. I respect the right of any professional to adapt systems for the benefit of their client (i.e., not for our own convenience or profit), but it must always be done within the parameters of safety. You very clearly state that you use unauthorized lamps because it "works for me." That is not the standard by which professionals should make such a decision.

The simple fact is that with any gel polish system there is no means to ascertain whether the product is properly or thoroughly cured - we trust that if we've followed the directions, it has cured properly. CND has a product that cures properly in their lamp - it cannot be certain that it will do so in any other lamp. It is likely that most brand name gel/polishes will cure in most brand name lamps. But likely is not good enough, and so, as a responsible company, they insist that you use what they know works. That's not just marketing, that's basic product safety. I agree that with multiple gel/polish lines out, each requiring its own lamp, the lamp issue has grown out of control. I hope that manufacturers will come together to resolve the issue. Until then however, it is irresponsible not to follow manufacturers' instructions, particularly when it comes to using LED for a non-LED product. CND Shellac will likely come out with an LED curable product - and probably a lamp to match. LeChat did. But it requires a change in formulation not just an announcement.

As for that Pure Direct blog, you might read Doug School commentary on that in which they pretty much admit that they are wrong - About UV and UV LED's and the differences scientifically. [Archive] - Salon Geek

Last edited:

Jeezuz, people like you give our profession a bad name.

Please let me know where your salon is in California because if I ever visit and would like a nail service, I certainly don't want to end up with someone like you who thinks it's no problem cutting corners.

I want a nail professional...not a nail tech.

So because some man in a blog says that you can cure shellac by led then we all should believe it.

Right?

Reminds me of when that idiot Dr. Oz said UV lamps used for curing Shellac and gel polishes emitted dangerous levels of UV. Some folks believe anything.

Not everything is a conspiracy. There's science behind the product. Research it...Learn it.

If you just want to be a cheap nail tech, okay...own it. If you want to be a nail professional, be one.

Last edited:
I think CND may well bring out an LED lamp in the future. Some people will buy it and some will stick with their UV one.
Gelish has an LED lamp but not all gelish techs have one.
It's down to personal choice.
With LED the lamp will last for ages so some people would rather spend the extra money and not have to buy replacement bulbs.
Some people will not have that money to spare so will stick with their UV lamp and just buy replacement bulbs as and when needed.
I have 2 shellac lamps so I probably wouldn't want to buy 2 LED lamps.
As for the cost, my 2 shellac lamps together were cheaper than my one IBD lamp and that doesn't cure 5 fingers!

As previously stated by other posters, I don't know that I'd invest in an LED for the faster curing time. I can only polish so fast. I'm usually finishing up one hand when the timer is going off on the other hand.

As long as I've been doing nails...this is the speed I polish. I'm not trying to be a speed polisher. I'm cool with the current curing time.

I'm sure it's Izzidol that has a Gelish LED lamp but doesn't use it for her Gelish treatments. I'm sure she uses 2 CND 5 finger lamps.

Well I though this was a "forum". I guess we are only allowed to post ideas that are in agreement with you. Your condescension and eye rolls and "duhs" and head banging are pure bullying. You can disagree in a respectful manner. I am happy with what I do. My clients are happy. I guess this mean girl "forum" is not a place for any of us who are open to different ideas. It's too bad you find me an embarrassment since you don't even know me or my talents or my education which you bash. I'm done with this place which began as a wonderful place to exchange ideas and opinions with our peers. Look what it has become. It's a shame.

Sorry you feel that way. I have no problem being loyal to a product if there is valid science behind the product as well as top of the line quality.

A nail professional takes the time to know the science behind the products/systems she's using. That's what makes us professionals. We don't take what we read in a blog and run with it. That's akin to taking Wikipedia as fact. Anyone can contribute and make up their own reality.

If you're happy and your clients are as well, I wish you the best. However, there is a science to our craft. Don't look down on us for following the science.

But we will always look down on those of you who don't because SCIENCE IS FACT.

I have cured successfully both CND Shellad and Gelish with LED lamps, both 12W and 45W. I asked at a London Beauty fair CND seller why they did not have an LED lamp? The answer was that at the moment they have billions of lamps in stock and they need to get rid of them before offering an LED one. The changing and replacing of the UV bulbs drives me mad.

I think it is unlikely that companies like Harmony would be able to say things like "LED 18G lamp has consistent power and performance from the first second out of the box through the 50,000thhour" if they hadn't actually tested it.

I know a lot of people are sceptical about LED lamps (and obviously if your product will not cure with it there is no point even thinking about it), and they are still expensive, but once you have used one you will never go back to a traditional UV lamp.

Totally agree. I couldn't cope with using my IV lamp now.

I have cured successfully both CND Shellad and Gelish with LED lamps, both 12W and 45W. I asked at a London Beauty fair CND seller why they did not have an LED lamp? The answer was that at the moment they have billions of lamps in stock and they need to get rid of them before offering an LED one. The changing and replacing of the UV bulbs drives me mad.

How do you know it's cured successfully? Seriously I'm not trying to be akward, but if you don't follow manufacturers guidelines then you cannot be sure of your system and neither can your insurance company . And sorry but CND have developed this lamp for the long term. There are two other timer buttons in there designed for future innovations. Don't get me wrong I used to use led with geleration and made no difference. Lamp went off, I was still painting for another minute and a half. Seriously don't get what all this LED fuss is!!

Its about not having to worry about changing your UV bulbs all the time:p

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using SalonGeek

How do you know it's cured successfully? Seriously I'm not trying to be akward, but if you don't follow manufacturers guidelines then you cannot be sure of your system and neither can your insurance company . And sorry but CND have developed this lamp for the long term. There are two other timer buttons in there designed for future innovations. Don't get me wrong I used to use led with geleration and made no difference. Lamp went off, I was still painting for another minute and a half. Seriously don't get what all this LED fuss is!!

I do a full Gelish removal and re-application in 45-50 minutes. You would struggle to do this with UV. I paint the first hand and prep the other while the lamp is on and keep switching. By the time I have finished the first hand the second is fully prepped and ready for painting. I only have to wait while the second hand is curing, which in total for all layers is under 2 minutes. There is never a time when the lamp beeps and I'm not ready.

Also when doing toes, LED comes into its own and is much quicker.

People need to use the appropriate lamp for their systems but once you've used LED, and changed the way you work to accommodate its speed, you will never go back. I am sure most companies will bring out an LED in the future.

I have a cnd uv lamp that i use with shellac and a opi led lamp i use with opi gelcolour.. I also have a bio sculpture uv lamp that i use with bio sculpture gel.. Not once have i tried using the different products with anything other than the correct lamp in the system.. I dont really understand why people cut corners, why invest in a system and not have the correct lamp to cure it how it should be cured!!

I use my opi led lamp and shellac lamp all the time and have to say there is not much of a difference in my treatment times, i cant actually paint 4 fingers and a thumb in 30 secs :) i like all 3 systems for different reasons and i like the cnd lamp and led lamp for different reasons!!

Latest posts

Back