Why doesn't CND offer an LED lamp for Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this really another lamp debate now? :grr:

shock horror, we have cured CND Shellac with our LED Harmony light.... no trouble at all!

Shock horror ! Better think again and watch for product breakdown or worse, signs of overexposure later on down the line! Neither you nor anyone else can see complete cure and without it, you can expect to have problems.

Use the complete Shellac system or expect to fail with Shellac. Your customers deserve better than you are giving them. You are not giving them a genuine Shellac service.

Thanks Geeg...

Sorry this has turned into yet another lamp debate! All I wanted to know was why there is no LED lamp for Shellac.. out of interest.... and curiousity.... and really wanting to understand the reasons why...

But... yet again, a genuine thread has been hijacked by messers lol

Sorry but I must say it- Why some people can't accept the fact that Shelac is a SYSTEM! It took CND 5 years or more to create it for US and they did their best for US to make sure WE provide THE BEST service for our CUSTOMERS!

All the "I used this lamp and it was like this or like that" stuff is hardly an inventive way forward!

I think it's a great question to ask why this lamp and only this lamp and there was plenty of valuable imput here- so please don't get me wrong: I am not having a go at the author of the thread! I actually rally enjoyed reading the treatd and technical answers we got here! So thank you for that!

But.... I just can't understand why some professionals try to be more clever than billion dollars corporations (like CND which is working hard to make us "live long and prosper") by trying to prove some silly points.

Shellac needs Shellac Lamp. And that's the way things are :) Howgh!

I will not try to use other lamps, I will no get convinced to used other lamps and home made experiments does not appeal to me.

Rant over! Sorry guys!

Thanks Geeg...

Sorry this has turned into yet another lamp debate! All I wanted to know was why there is no LED lamp for Shellac.. out of interest.... and curiousity.... and really wanting to understand the reasons why...

Helbels the best advice I can give you if your wanting to find out more about LED, UV and Shellac is to contact Doug Schoon directly he will be more than happy to help.
Here is a link to his facebook Doug Schoon | Facebook

:hug:

Shock horror ! Better think again and watch for product breakdown or worse, signs of overexposure later on down the line! Neither you nor anyone else can see complete cure and without it, you can expect to have problems.

Use the complete Shellac system or expect to fail with Shellac. Your customers deserve better than you are giving them. You are not giving them a genuine Shellac service.

As stated I have both lamps, I have tried Shellac with the LED as 'they' say it can't be done, I have a curious mind!
Having said that on clients I follow the correct protocols!!!!

Thanks Geeg...

To answer your question ... I think the reason why CND is not in any great hurry to offer a lamp that uses LED bulbs, is that Shellac is a service that is pretty darned quick without using a faster cure time and there is just no real particular need for it. Shellac was formulated, as has been said, to work with its own lamp and in a more than reasonable time frame as Shellac is already so efficient to apply.

We Shellackers have it pretty easy when you think about it. Shellac goes on with the same steps as polish. We clean the nail and apply the base coat (no need to buff the nail which takes extra time, and no need to use a primer which takes more time and no need to dry brush sticky excess off the nail surface which takes yet more time) two coats of colour and a top coat! How much quicker do we have to be?

I'm sure at some stage CND will get around to LED for those who think it will make some ginormous great difference to them, but I wouldn't say it is a number one priority in the agenda at the moment.

Thanks Geeg for explaining. I love Shellac, couldn't be happier with it. :)

As stated I have both lamps, I have tried Shellac with the LED as 'they' say it can't be done, I have a curious mind!
Having said that on clients I follow the correct protocols!!!!

From the post of yours that I responded to above, I did not get the sense that you were only trying something on yourself or that you do all correctly with clients. The problem is, neddyteddy, that you made it sound as if the led lamp worked as you say, "no trouble at all" ! Now what you said is not true but others may be influenced by you to use the lamp you mention and think it is OK to use with Shellac ... And it is most definitely NOT!

Salon geek is a teaching site for professionals and aspiring professionals so it is important that we should be responsible in the answers we give and not lead people down the wrong path or give them false and untrue information. We should try to be accountable for the veracity of the posts we write and the information we give.

Last week I watched a video on a link on the Nail Geek where an expert, sorry don't know who but seemed very genuine, simple told us that you can use LED on UV cured lacquers - the next day when I tried to find it I couldn't, but I didn't dream it up, it seemed to be a CND expert I was watching because I wouldn't have watched it otherwise. Did anyone else see this, maybe it was removed because it is a bit controversial??

Do you mean this video?

Difference with shellac

If so I see a problem with the uv cures CND debate...
Shellac is not a gel and so as the video goes CND is unique in the uv market

Hths

CND could do (and may do) an LED lamp. LED lamps are pretty cool but they give off a much slimer spectrum of UV light and thus are much more challenging to match to systems.

But here is the rub... the #1 challenge for CND, its educators and its distributor network is trying to help people understand the importance of matching the right lamp to your system. The challenge is down to the fact that people don't want to make investments into lamps. They would rather intermix lamps or buy cheap boxes with a blue bulb in them. Irrespective of the facts, the performance or even the health risk to the clients.

Therefore introducing an LED lamp that would be 2-4 times more expensive would make getting people to use the system that much harder and by consequence, fewer would use the system as it is designed.

Well put sam

And for those wanting to understand uv systems, lamps and the importance of matching systems take a read if the link below...

Uv product summary and lamp info

Hths

CND could do (and may do) an LED lamp. LED lamps are pretty cool but they give off a much slimer spectrum of UV light and thus are much more challenging to match to systems.

But here is the rub... the #1 challenge for CND, its educators and its distributor network is trying to help people understand the importance of matching the right lamp to your system. The challenge is down to the fact that people don't want to make investments into lamps. They would rather intermix lamps or buy cheap boxes with a blue bulb in them. Irrespective of the facts, the performance or even the health risk to the clients.

Therefore introducing an LED lamp that would be 2-4 times more expensive would make getting people to use the system that much harder and by consequence, fewer would use the system as it is designed.

Why would introducing an LED make that harder? The UV (both the Brisa and Shellac lamps) would still be an option for those who want to spend less. Introducing an LED would provide options for those willing to spend more to save a little time. There are always going to be those who cut corners - those people already do that with just the UV lamps. Adding an LED does not increase that number. I think the real difficulty with going LED is maintaining Shellac's as hypoallergenic. Going LED would require using more and different photoinitiators which tend to be what triggers sensitivity.

I am sure that CND is not sitting around on their thumbs while everyone else is going LED. I sure that they recognize it as an important feature that they must introduce to stay competitive, as they are losing market share (in a growing market). I am sure that they will eventually go LED and I hope they will do it with a product that is as good as the original Shellac.

I have a question. Why does shellac or Brisa need or want an LED lamp?
I can't paint 4 fingers and a thumb in a nano second ( or what time it takes to cure product that can be with LED) so why? It won't make the service any faster just more expensive.
Vicki xx

I can't paint 4 fingers and a thumb in a nano second ( or what time it takes to cure product that can be with LED) so why? It won't make the service any faster just more expensive.
Vicki xx

The only time an LED lamp would make my life quicker and easier is when I'm doing my own nails...... I hate waiting for each layer to cure without being able to do the other hand!! But for now I have the tv or laptop on when I'm doing my own and just live with it :wink2:

The only time an LED lamp would make my life quicker and easier is when I'm doing my own nails...... I hate waiting for each layer to cure without being able to do the other hand!! But for now I have the tv or laptop on when I'm doing my own and just live with it :wink2:

I think you would also find it makes a massive time difference when doing toes.

I think its difficult to appreciate an LED until you've used one. As I said before, once you've used it you would not want to go back. I suspect that sometime in the future CND will produce an LED lamp and I think then Shellac users will be raving about it. Until then we all just have to use the correct lamps for our systems full stop.

Vicki xx
I Shellaced my nails yesterday and it took me about 25 minutes and I used pigment. Don't think using an LED would have made an into of difference to that. And a normal Shellac service is what I do most of the time. I really can't see what difference it would make for toes at all.

Where I could see a use for it is if I did lots of nail art but I do not. It would also be very useful for me on a demo booth. But in the salon? I would have to justify the expense against the benefits of having one.

Having said that, if CND brought out a lamp that was calibrated for curing Shellac then I would get one just because I would want to LOL! I always want to get everything CND do. So I certainly would. But I would not be buying it because it would speed up my service time because it wouldn't.

Most of those using LED report their service time at usually an hour for soft gels and my appointment times for Shellac are 45 minutes for first time Shellac and 45 for removal and re-Shellac, but the actual application time for Shellac is about 25 minutes ... The rest is consultation, prep for first time Shellackers, coffee making, colour choosing, in other words, the usual! Lol

My comments on this thread? Trust CND? Listen to CND? They transformed the market with shellac? Why do people feel the need to question their knowledge on a system they created? My other rant is? Isn't the customer the most important part of the service? I certainly wudnt want to rush them with a 30 second cure? Building up a relationship is also what brings them back? 30 mins to apply 45 mind to remove & reapply? What more do we want? Shellac is worth every penny?

Latest posts

Back