Why were my fingers and nails burning?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajshard

Reaction score
I had some gel extensions done today. The same tech did one of my hands on sunday whilst I was a model for her and I experienced no pain, today I went into the salon to have the other hand done and I was in agony, my fingertips were burning under the lamp, she didnt seem to know why, it was pretty unbearable and would put me off of having them done again.

Can anyone explain what may have happened?

Thankyou:cry:

You've had what's known as exothermic reaction (aka heat spike), this can happen for a few reasons but the most common ones are:
Overly thick gel application
Thinned nail plate (usually caused by over-filing)
Using the wrong UV lamp to cure the gel

Judging by what you've said I would go with the first one, a thicker gel application, especially considering that you didn't get this when she did your other hand.

hth's a bit :hug:

No wonder the nail tech didnt know what was wrong , heat spike is likely down to her fault,but didnt want to admit .

Thankyou. She did use a different lamp on sunday, that was an OPI lamp the one today was a small white one so maybe it could be the lamp?? The gel was running alot so could be that too I guess.

My teacher told me it hurt when the gel went into the nail..you take out your finger from the lamp and press the tip down very hard on the table for a few seconds and then put it back in under the lamp again and the pain should be gone.

My teacher told me it hurt when the gel went into the nail..you take out your finger from the lamp and press the tip down very hard on the table for a few seconds and then put it back in under the lamp again and the pain should be gone.
:eek:

PAIN should not be part of a nail service ... if it is you're using the wrong product or you're using the product WRONG.

Fancy a teacher telling you that instead of teaching you how to avoid it.:eek::eek:

You've had what's known as exothermic reaction (aka heat spike), this can happen for a few reasons but the most common ones are:
Overly thick gel application
Thinned nail plate (usually caused by over-filing)
Using the wrong UV lamp to cure the gel

J

I think that it also depends on the amount of photo initiators in a product. I know of a few gels that get extremely hot when exposed to a uv light source even when they are applied ever so thinly.

I think that it also depends on the amount of photo initiators in a product. I know of a few gels that get extremely hot when exposed to a uv light source even when they are applied ever so thinly.

Even a gel with very few photo initiators can produce an uncomfortable heat sensation if piled on too thick. And as you say there are products with many PI's that produce heat even when thin.
But they all can be handled without pain if used correctly. Learn about your system and use it accordingly.

It might have been her application, but since she did them one day no problem and the next day there was, could be new bulbs?? However, if they were running that could be some of the problem. Did she use a different product?

There is no need to press on a nail to get it to keep from burning. Just remove your hand from the light til it quits, then you can place your hand just outside the light and inch your way in.

There are some gel lines out there that require flash curing and even at that they still have a tremendous heat spike to them. I won't use those, but it does happen even if the nail tech only applies a thin layer. So it's not always the techs fault.

I went to a very well known and established nail salon around 2y ago and had gel nails applied.
The young girl who done my nails told me my fingers would burn and to press the tips of my fingers on to the nail desk. My she was not wrong the pain was horrendous. I knew it shouldn't of happened as i had gels applied before without any problems.
It put me of gels and i only have acrylic now

I went to a very well known and established nail salon around 2y ago and had gel nails applied.
The young girl who done my nails told me my fingers would burn and to press the tips of my fingers on to the nail desk. My she was not wrong the pain was horrendous. I knew it shouldn't of happened as i had gels applied before without any problems.
It put me of gels and i only have acrylic now

Well it shouldn't put you off gels, because not all gels behave in the same way. For instance, Brisa gel from CND is a gel that does not spike. Most clients never feel anything but a mild warmth, nothing uncomfortable. If they feel anything it is either too much gel or damaged nails.

Well it shouldn't put you off gels, because not all gels behave in the same way. For instance, Brisa gel from CND is a gel that does not spike. Most clients never feel anything but a mild warmth, nothing uncomfortable. If they feel anything it is either too much gel or damaged nails.

The tech who used to do my nails moved away (my nails or fingers never hurt) hence I went to the 'established' nail salon. Unsure if I can say on here what products the salon used.
I now only have acrylics as its difficult to to find a good gel nail tech. Also I just finished my CND foundation in acrylics so I am doing my own nails. (not good but practise makes perfect,lol) nail trainer and anyone who will allow my to practise,lol
Once I have perfected acrylics and gone on a couple more courses I'm going to do Brisa gel. :)

Latest posts

Back