Why would wax stick to the leg and not the strip?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jo's Nails

Reaction score
Hi
What am I doing wrong the wax will not stick to the wax strip and goes all clumpy.
I'm using honey wax
The room is warm

Using pot and spatula
The heat is between 4 and 5
I'm finding the wax won't spread properly and I have to do small sections then the wax won't come off it like the wax goes all funny and hardens on the leg and won't stick to the strip. It's taking me ages to do a full leg.
Any ideas?

Dry or cold skin xxxx

It sounds like your wax is too cold. Wax pots can be very variable, even the same brand, so go by the feel of the wax not necessarily the numbers on the dial. Be aware that when your wax isn't warm enough not only does it make your job difficult but it will make it very painful for your client.

Even with the dial turned up to no 6 the highest setting this was happening, my client said that it didn't feel warm. The wax was thin and hot by the time it gets to the leg it doesn't spread properly and goes sticky. On smaller areas it seems fine. I have no pre cleanse lotion so I am either cleansing down with a bit of water or afterwax (it's hard to get any thing ordered from my boss) lotion yesterday I didn't use anything as my client came fresh from the shower and had nothing on her legs.
I told my boss I was having problems and she turned it back down. Later when I did a brow wax the wax was stringy and would not come away clean. She said she had used it and it was fine so I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Even with the dial turned up to no 6 the highest setting this was happening, my client said that it didn't feel warm. The wax was thin and hot by the time it gets to the leg it doesn't spread properly and goes sticky. On smaller areas it seems fine. I have no pre cleanse lotion so I am either cleansing down with a bit of water or afterwax (it's hard to get any thing ordered from my boss) lotion yesterday I didn't use anything as my client came fresh from the shower and had nothing on her legs.
I told my boss I was having problems and she turned it back down. Later when I did a brow wax the wax was stringy and would not come away clean. She said she had used it and it was fine so I don't know what I am doing wrong.
Ok if the wax isn't feeling warm even on the highest setting then your thermostat has gone and you need a new heater. It happens, they don't last forever. Sounds like you've got a problem with your boss though. Is the boss qualified?

Ah yes I mentioned this to my boss and she was adamant it was not the heater it's was only a year old she had used it with no problem and she knows all about waxing. There's another heater that's not being used so I will swap them over this morning and see if there is a difference, hope it should sort problem out.

Another thing guys do you all use plastic covers on your couches when you wax?
WIe have a qhute have made three accidental spills

Sorry not sure what happened to my last post.
Basically over the last 6 weeks I have made 3 accidental little dribbles with the wax on the fleesy blanket and my boss spoke to me about it today and she is not happy that it now needs to be dry cleaned. I have asked for a plastic cover to wipe down between clients but according to her I shouldn't have dribbles the wax at all.
Is this right? I mean surly the most experienced of waxers have accidents?? I've it myself on another waxing course next week because I am having so many problems.

Ok if the wax isn't feeling warm even on the highest setting then your thermostat has gone and you need a new heater. It happens, they don't last forever. Sounds like you've got a problem with your boss though. Is the boss qualified?
Apparently yes she " knows all about waxing and doesn't have any problems"

Firstly why is she getting upset ? Doesn't your boss use a NEW towel or blanket per client?

That is disgusting hygiene if she doesn't I would report her and resign you can't work for someone who tries to save money by compromise hygiene . Sis !!!

On smaller areas it seems fine. I have no pre cleanse lotion so I am either cleansing down with a bit of water or afterwax (it's hard to get any thing ordered from my boss) lotion yesterday I didn't use anything as my client came fresh from the shower and had nothing on her legs.

I wouldn't cleanse with afterwax Hun you don't want any kind of lotion/oil on the legs or the wax won't stick x

I use new bed roll every time but it does get stuck to clients. Even if they sweat it gets stuck to them as they move around so if I have dripped wax I really can't help it and it's an accident. I would rather a wipeable cover so I can sanitize between clients. Do you guys have the odd accident and dribble wax or is it just me?

Everyone has the odd dribble of wax here and there. Don't worry about that.

Make sure the whole couch is covered with couch roll and if it moves with your client, just ask them to lift that body part so you can pull it back.

If you see wax on the couch roll, cover it with a bit more or a wax strip so your client doesn't stick to it x

If the wax is sticking to the skin rather than the strip and temperature is not the issue then it will be that the wax has been heated up too many times and no longer any good to use.
It's a bit like when you over heat sugar when making toffee!
Start with a completely fresh pot of wax.

I always use a plastic cover on the couch for waxing.
The plastic table covers in dunelm are great and come in lots of different patterns to fit in with your salon decor. They last for years even with all the wiping down they get.

If wax doesn't stick to strip at beginning of treatment - paint a little wax on the strip. it should grab the wax on the leg and hey presto! :)

Hi
What am I doing wrong the wax will not stick to the wax strip and goes all clumpy.
I'm using honey wax
The room is warm

Using pot and spatula
The heat is between 4 and 5
I'm finding the wax won't spread properly and I have to do small sections then the wax won't come off it like the wax goes all funny and hardens on the leg and won't stick to the strip. It's taking me ages to do a full leg.
Any ideas?
I use new bed roll every time but it does get stuck to clients. Even if they sweat it gets stuck to them as they move around so if I have dripped wax I really can't help it and it's an accident. I would rather a wipeable cover so I can sanitize between clients. Do you guys have the odd accident and dribble wax or is it just me?

I have found that when using warm wax, make sure the clients legs are dry, if you put the pre-wax cleanser on then make sure you put a small amount on and then either dry with tissue or leave to air dry for a minute or so. Make sure the wax is the right temperature and put some on your arm with a seperate spatula and wax off of course! The other thing is I use Muslin wax strips as I find they get the hair off better, and the hair doesn't break. I was trained that way in a salon and works best for me. Other than that, use a cream wax, like Australian Tea Tree or one of the cream wax from the wholesalers.
Sometimes when waxing large areas, or long legs, just aply the cream wax in two lengths first, so the wax doesnt have time to get too dry, until you feel more confident. Press the wax strip down firmly, and should be ok. I remember all this happening to me, you will be ok it's all a bit trial and error until you find what is best, although I suppose you have to use the honey wax because of your boss.

Latest posts

Back