Will I be seen as less of a professional?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lana-Jayne

Reaction score
Hi all,
So i have nearly completed my nail technician course but as it is distance learning i get no practical training. So after watching lots of training videos and reading tutorials i decided to start practicing. Ive only ever done extensions on myself, my mum and my sister.
Anyway so i bought some tips from ebay (please dont shout at me i know i shouldnt but they were just for practice) they weren't particulary cheap so i gave them a go. For the life of me i can not blend tips!!It takes me well over an hour, i end up catching the nail plate,and ive tried tip blender (wont be bothering again!!).The last time i tried to do them i actually burst into tears halfway through because i was so frustrated with myself!!Its taking me nearly 4 hours to complete a full set and thats just ridiculous!!I really want to suceed with my nails, i love doing them, im constantly reading and watching tutorials to help me and the passion is there!!I just cant blend tips effectively!!
So.....i have been and ordered the pro-impressions advanced well less tips. Will i be seen as less of a professional for using these?Is it classed as lazy or cheating?I just needed to try something different to make it easier for myself because i really dont want to give up!!
Sorry for the long post i am just so frustrated with myself for not being able to do it i know its a basic skill every technician should be able to do!!:cry:

You'll get there in the end. Just keep practising. Have you got a nail trainer? If not it maybe an idea to invest in one. It'll stop you catching peoples nail plates while you're perfecting you blending technique.

I hated blending tips too! I used to take 4 hours when I started out too! You'll get your timings down with practise. Honestly!

Tracy x

Hun firstly, take a step back from it and relax :D

Take a look at Geeg's tutorials in the tutorial section for blending - they are invaluable.

I also did a distance learning course, I rarely blend tips as there are so many well less tips available and only blend when I need to. I obviously still take some bulk from the tip when it applied etc

Don't ever feel less of a tech because of little problems that can, with patience and support, be easily soled :hug: xxx

In my experience cheap tips aren't easy to blend - if you get better quality tips from a professional supplier I imagine you will cut your blending time right down!

Have you checked out the tutorials on Salon Geek? Geeg wrote a fab tutorial on blending - give it a read and you're guaranteed to improve xx

Hun firstly, take a step back from it and relax :D

Take a look at Geeg's tutorials in the tutorial section for blending - they are invaluable.

I also did a distance learning course, I rarely blend tips as there are so many well less tips available and only blend when I need to. I obviously still take some bulk from the tip when it applied etc

Don't ever feel less of a tech because of little problems that can, with patience and support, be easily soled :hug: xxx

Beat me again ha :D

Thank you both for your replies!!i have got a nail trainer but it was only a cheap one so dont think it will be any good!!
Im glad im not the only one who hates blending!thank you both for your kind replies i feel better already xxx

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

I have read gegg's tutorial and i have got her book i just cant do it!!obviously the cheap tips are causing me problems so hopefully my new ones will be better!!i just didnt want to look like a cheat and a lazy technician for using well less tips x

If you buy good quality tips they tend to be easier to blend and make life less stressfull even though they cost more the time and stress they save is well worth the extra money spent on them (even if they are just used for practicing on).

It is not a cheat to use well-less tips or to do anything possible to minimise the amount you want to blend but I would recommend you persivere with blending as you will need to blend when you come to do infills.

Blending is a bit of an art, and I can tell you from experience that one day a light bulb just goes off and you GET IT. Please don't give up. It's a worthwhile skill to have.

My first sets of nails took me almost 5 hours!!! Blending tips will get easier I promise, once you have gotten yourself into a routine:) Just try to get as many friends and family as you can to practice on and in no time it will get better:)

I love my well less tips with the extreme smile line. Makes my fingernails look longer, and NO Blending! :) slowly converting most of my clients. I have three who are die hard traditional smile line fanatics. :)

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

Have you tried not using tips at all and sculpting them. I am also doing a home study course but instead of tips, i sculpt (my own choice). A set can now take me 1 hour 15 mins. X

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

My course doesnt teach me how to sculpt. I have forms so may have to look into that option and see if i can learn sculpting. Thanks x x

My course didn't teach me either, I did myself by watching videos on nail angel x

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

I tried those eBay ones when I started training, took forever to blend :(. I now use CND tips (can't remember the name right now) and they blend like butter :D xx

I bought tips from eBay for my nail art board, They Definitely do take longer to blend.
I use the Proimpressions tip, advance natural smile, and professional half well. I find I mostly use the 1/2 well and they need a little blending but if you practice with these tips I'm sure you'll find it easier :hug:

Last edited:
Thank you very much girls you may have just restored my faith that i can be a great nail technician x x

Thank you very much girls you may have just restored my faith that i can be a great nail technician x x

Course you can. Don't you doubt it.

All the great nail technicians in the world started off swearing at tips.x

Using well-less tips does not class me lazy or cheating!

It classes me as a professional who doesn't have time for blending (in most cases).

I use them as they are quick to apply, I am a business woman at the end of the day and wanting to make money, so whilst your blending I'm on to the next set.

Latest posts

Back