Will these extension photos be putting people off?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k_lee110788

Reaction score
I'm a L3 hairdresser and qualified in extensions about 6 weeks ago. I have practiced lots on my block head but only have 1 friend who let me practice on her. I fitted her with microbeads 4 weeks ago, and took before and after photos for my fb page. I have had no bookings in these 4 weeks so thinking it might be the photos? My model didn't have much money so she bought cheap hair from ebay, I'm thinking maybe this shows on the photos? I left no gaps between rows and still could only get 140 bonds in as her hair is so fine, any more and you would see the bonds. There is one other girl in my town who does extensions and her pics look so lush and thick compared to mine!
My friend had her maintanance appt yesturday and in 4 weeks has only lost 1 strand. Is this normal? There was no matting and all the sections all still looked neat so I feel confident in my fitting and think that when I use the hair I'm going to use on my paying clients the pics will be much better.
So be honest, would these pics make you think I'm a bad tech? Should I take them off my page and advertise for models who are willing to buy better hair?

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 913
  • straight.jpg
    straight.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 919
  • curly.jpg
    curly.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 919
Just to add, the 1st pic is a before photo

Just my opinion, I'm not yet qualified to do hair extensions so only my opinion from first look. I think you would be better to keep the backgrounds consistent, just one colour back drop, I think a black cape would show up the blonde hair better....maybe the straight one could be combed so that its perfectly even and the same with the curls being perfectly symmetrical....they look great though!!

Great thank you, I totaly agree about the backgrounds, it looks unproffesional

Like I say, its not a criticism, the extensions are fab, just be good to keep the focus on the hair and not the background or clothing....I'm hoping to be as skilled as you soon!! where did you learn?

Hi I agree try and take photos at a plain wall and also use a gown, the extensions definitely look cheap maybe I can only see that as I do extensions and also quite sparse, were they 0.5 grams as they don't look very thick plus they only look a couple of inches longer so they aren't really showing off your work xx.

I trained with belle academy which has lots of bad reviews! I thought they were great tho :)

Not extensions trained or a hair stylist. However thought I'd add a customer point of view!

They look fab!
As other posters have said, focus more on the hair rather than the wider picture.

HTH x

Maybe doing something as simple as taking the photo portrait instead of landscape would keep the focus on the hair. They look good to me though!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

My model bought the hair herself and they looked realy thin so I'm guessing they were 0.5g. I'm doing easy shrinks next week on another model who had shoulder length hair and is getting 22inch so hopefuly ill get better photos! Only worry is, she's also bought her own hair. I offered to get it for her but she insisted on getting it herself. Hopefully its good hair!

Lovely pictures, agree with the other girls comments about the background. Good luck with your new career we are sure you will be very successful, keep at it, and practice, practice, practice.:)

This is the reason I don't fit extensions in people who buy their own hair, they definitely look too thin x

I'm coming from a client point of view so no technical knowledge. Her natural hair photo shows her hair looking shiney and I'm guessing in ok condition? The first picture of the extensions showing them straight, the hair looks dull and dry. It may look different in real life but this is what the picture is showing me.
Also, unless it was made clear when you posted the pic, this is the hair that I would be presuming you work with as a client. If your competition's pics show lovely hair then clients will see this comparison. I gather that extensions are very expensive so I would be researching my a*** off before parting with my money.

I hope you don't think I'm being mean, just wanted to give you my impression as a client. It must be so hard to get your portfolio going when the hair is so expensive. It sounds like you did a fantastic job fitting the hair though.

Hi, thanks nicole, I don't think your been mean, just honest which is helpful! My model bought her own hair cheap from ebay which is why it looks dull. I have researched and decided to use glamorous lengths and angel remy on my paying clients and after everyones responce on here, I'm going to delete these pics and advertise for models, and only use hair from my suppliers. Thanks for the help everyone!

I'm coming from a client point of view so no technical knowledge. Her natural hair photo shows her hair looking shiney and I'm guessing in ok condition? The first picture of the extensions showing them straight, the hair looks dull and dry. It may look different in real life but this is what the picture is showing me.
Also, unless it was made clear when you posted the pic, this is the hair that I would be presuming you work with as a client. If your competition's pics show lovely hair then clients will see this comparison. I gather that extensions are very expensive so I would be researching my a*** off before parting with my money.

I hope you don't think I'm being mean, just wanted to give you my impression as a client. It must be so hard to get your portfolio going when the hair is so expensive. It sounds like you did a fantastic job fitting the hair though.

Very good, helpful advice, Nicole. x

Make a few appointments with professionel models - you make the extensions for free and get professionel photos that you can use.

Again I agree with Mollie, this is the reason I only supply and fit. You can guarantee the quality of the hair therefore being able to guarantee the quality of the after picture. Fitting cheap hair is a false economy

If I was a customer I would assume this is the hair you install and would go for the extensionist whose pictures have thick lush hair!

I'm an extensionist and when I first qualified I advertised for models for my portfolio. I only charged them for the hair, which I sourced so knew it would be good quality and look good. It was a lot of time given up but worth it once I had nice pictures, plus it was also good practise! Also, these models then return for refits so I gained customers out of them.

Don't advertise that your practising, word it that you need models for your portfolio!

I've had nothing to do with hair extension but at first glance I thought they were really good. I see others comments about them being dull, and I see that now.

I suppose being good at extensions is also about choosing a good product and that will reflect on your end product. So I agree, you should source your own hair. It's be like a client bringing their own crappy nail polish in for me to paint their nails, instead of using my expensive professional nail polish. You get what you pay for in the end.

Good luck with building your portfolio up!

Latest posts

Back