Wipe or not wipe?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snuggles

Reaction score
Was chatting with an old nail buddy of mine who recently had some refresher training with a former nsi educator.
Now I was always taught to wipe my brush before dipping back into my monomer, I don't often wipe my brush fusing application as intend to get ratio right I just wipe any slight residue off so not to contaminate my brush.
My nail buddy said you don't do this no more, it's the old school way.

I do try and go on as many courses as possible to keep my skills up to date, I work clean so keep odour to a minimum but never been taught this before, I always been taught to wipe brush before going back into monomer.

I just want to know if any of you have been taught not to wipe or is it just me?

I wipe my brush. Using a new patch on the paper each time :) best that way :)

Surrey Girl through and through x

Does your friend that told you this also use NSI ?

Different brands have different ways of working, and I haven't used NSI, but I thought it was pretty universal that you wipe your brush before you go back into your monomer. This ensures your brush is free of product that will contaminate your liquid.

Some systems require that you also wipe your brush after placing your bead and before you start to press it out, but CND training tells you not to do this as the liquid in the belly of your brush is required to keep your bead workable.
Maybe if your friend is CND trained that is the wipe she is talking about. ;)

No I believe she originally trained with nsi so was shocked when she was told it was the old school way and you don't have to wipe your brush anymore.
I always dip in monomer, drain excess off brush on side of dapper dish, pick up bead (wipe if I need to) press bead, wipe and back in monomer.
But this nsi ed said you shouldn't have to wipe atall if your ratio is right.

Just found this a little odd to be honest which is why I was curious to find out what everyone else was taught.
I have trained with various companies, from the different salons I worked in in the past and none of them taught me this so was intrigued to see if I'm old school :)

It certainly is not an old school way of doing things and you certainly would gently wipe your brush to clear it of any polymer before re-dipping in monomer ... For the reasons izzy said. ... And we certainly do this at CND as standard.

I would never wipe my brush on paper but on a dampened gauze pad (you can use alcohol or nail sanitiser and just barely damp) dedicated just for wiping the brush. This accomplishes 3 things.

For 1 it will draw the monomer into the pad and reduce the odour in your working area by about 80% which will certainly make a more pleasant working environment. Like an ink blot on a tissue, wiping you brush on paper, spreads the monomer over a much larger surface area and increases odour significantly.

2. Using the damp gauze pad will eliminate the risk of overexposure from you wiping your brush on the paper towel and then leaning on the paper where you have wiped it. No one wants to become allergic to their product and leaning on the paper to work Is one of the most common ways to expose your self.

Work safe and keep your monomer clean.

Thank you geeg. The wet gauze is what I do and have done for a few years now. I'm glad I'm not doing anything wrong was starting to doubt my technique and the training I had been on.

But this nsi ed said you shouldn't have to wipe at all if your ratio is right.

)

What beginner ever gets their ratio right without a lot of practise? Even now some of us old school techs can pick up a bead that's a bit off.
Who among us can say every single bead in every set of nails is always bang on.... on a good day I'll be about 99% :wink2:
I shall continue to wipe on my damp pad and have nice clear monomer right up until my last bead.

Me to izzidoll! It's put my mind to rest now we were having a huge debate about it sat and it got me questioning my technique! Not any more! :)

Latest posts

Back