Wording for Gelish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsTwosh

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

Just after a bit of advice. I've recently started doing gelish after going on a generic UV soak off polish course and was unsure if I could call it on my website and price list a gelish manicure/pedicure rather than just gelish polish? When doing the nails I trim/file/shape and do cuticle work but i haven't done a mani or pedi course yet, so I'm unsure if it can be called this. Also places I've been locally and feedback from clients is they get gel polish applied and that's it! So I want clients to know they will get more of a treatment coming to me 😊. Hope this makes sense xxx

Hi Hun,

You can't actually offer a gel polish service to paying client's without a Manicure Certificate as far as I am aware! x

Hi I have a certificate to provide UV gel polishes and they said gelish was ok to use? Bit confused now :/ xxx

I think what she means is that a therapist must be trained in manicures prior to doing a gel course. I dont think insurance will cover someone who hasnt done this first. Not saying thats what youve done. Just that it sounded that way perhaps because of how the question started.
In my opinion its best to offer gel as its own treatment rather than the whole manicure procedure as soaking the nails and apply cream etc can cause gel to lift

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think what she means is that a therapist must be trained in manicures prior to doing a gel course. I dont think insurance will cover someone who hasnt done this first. Not saying thats what youve done. Just that it sounded that way perhaps because of how the question started.
In my opinion its best to offer gel as its own treatment rather than the whole manicure procedure as soaking the nails and apply cream etc can cause gel to lift

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I haven't done a manicure course as there was no prerequisite to the gel polish course :/ guess I shouldn't have done a generic course but thought this was best as wasn't sure which system I wanted to use xxx

I haven't done a manicure course as there was no prerequisite to the gel polish course :/ guess I shouldn't have done a generic course but thought this was best as wasn't sure which system I wanted to use xxx

Check with your insurer, what you need may have been covered in your course.

So the supplier of Gelish allowed you to purchase without proof of a manicure certificate or any proof of qualification?? tut tut.

So the supplier of Gelish allowed you to purchase without proof of a manicure certificate or any proof of qualification?? tut tut.

Salon services did not had any issue with my certificate/qualification

Well I was always told that you couldn't purchase Gelish without a manicure certificate and that to do a Gelish Course you also needed a Manicure Certificate.

Harmony also do a Course that includes Manicure and this is obviously more expensive!

It amazes me really that people can just go on a one or two day course, when I had to spend 2 years at college to learn about all the bones in the hands, the contraindications etc to get my CIBTAC Diploma, which I know would take longer as it included hair and beauty, but still, how can you recognize nail conditions when you have just done a short course :Scared:

If I were you, I would do a Manicure and Pedicure course aswell to be sure you can offer the best service and make sure you understand the structure of the nails etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at you but it really irks me that there are places offering sub standard training and then you are left to try and work it out for yourself, did they cover contraindications and how to spot nail infections? x

Hi Geeks

Just after a bit of advice. I've recently started doing gelish after going on a generic UV soak off polish course and was unsure if I could call it on my website and price list a gelish manicure/pedicure rather than just gelish polish? When doing the nails I trim/file/shape and do cuticle work but i haven't done a mani or pedi course yet, so I'm unsure if it can be called this. Also places I've been locally and feedback from clients is they get gel polish applied and that's it! So I want clients to know they will get more of a treatment coming to me 😊. Hope this makes sense xxx

So what did this gel course actually cover?

We do supply Sally's Salon Services with Gelish, and our own educators teach there. BUT we have strict guidelines that people should hold the minimum of a manicure certificate to be able to attend.

I'd like to know which store this was please so I can address this issue?

Monkeystails I have bought stacks of Gelish plus my 18g from Hairways in Colchester. Half of Colchester shops there and I know plenty of unqualified people who buy it there to use on each other/friends etc. I have never been asked for certificates (although I also did months and months of main and pedi). It is a joke.

My sis in law did a three hour generic uv polish course which includes some skim of mani and pedi voila can purchase anything and charge the same as a full and specific qualification. Perhaps the op did similar? And to be fair this only highlights how this industry needs something more like licensing or a register of quality does it not?

It's just totally wrong, it means any one can get their hands on what should be professional only products! I have just found out a friend who is a hairdresser can buy gelish because she has a salon services card, she has no training at all in nails but as she has a card she is eligible to buy any thing! She has just bought a lamp and all what she needs to do her own nails, says she doesn't need to pay me when she can do her own!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

It's just totally wrong, it means any one can get their hands on what should be professional only products! I have just found out a friend who is a hairdresser can buy gelish because she has a salon services card, she has no training at all in nails but as she has a card she is eligible to buy any thing! She has just bought a lamp and all what she needs to do her own nails, says she doesn't need to pay me when she can do her own!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app
One of my ex colleagues in office job, no quals has done the same.

My sis in law did a three hour generic uv polish course which includes some skim of mani and pedi voila can purchase anything and charge the same as a full and specific qualification. Perhaps the op did similar? And to be fair this only highlights how this industry needs something more like licensing or a register of quality does it not?
She can't purchase everything, at least not legally. She certainly can't purchase Shellac from a legitimate supplier. Shellac is legitimately sold to professionals ONLY and not in Chemists and pharmacies etc the way gel polishes are. Seen it in the US and in Australia .... ! It's going to come back and bite them in the bum one day and allot of technicians too!

I'm teaching a leisure class just now, it's meant to be an introduction to nails, I DEMO extensions, gel polishes, wraps manicures and pedicures over 6 weeks...they get to have a "play" with each...the idea is to get them to sign up for the college certificated classes. I am very careful to point out the differences between professional and non professional products and often use the girls own experiences to highlight the dangers of untrained or generic product use.... There is NO certificate issued....they are told week 1 they will not be qualified.

I sat in despair today as 15 women compared their supermarket / eBay bought gel polish kits...and marvelled at how many had full kits from Sally's...interestingly one had been sold surgical spirit along with her star nails acrylic, another a red carpet gel with no base or top coat and the best laugh, a woman proudly displaying her acrylic paint brushes ready to go practise on her sister...the smallest being the size of a facial mask brush 😂

Suffice to say they were put right before they left!

She can't purchase everything, at least not legally. She certainly can't purchase Shellac from a legitimate supplier. Shellac is legitimately sold to professionals ONLY and not in Chemists and pharmacies etc the way gel polishes are. Seen it in the US and in Australia .... ! It's going to come back and bite them in the bum one day and allot of technicians too!

Hmm afraid she has had a sweet squared account for many months! My point was simply there are plenty of generic courses approved by the guild (for example) that would do all that in three hours and off they go. The industry is completely swamped with it now, I'm sure you would agree? I must confess until I started my own long and hard education I didn't fully understand how truly absurd this fact is!

Hmm afraid she has had a sweet squared account for many months! My point was simply there are plenty of generic courses approved by the guild (for example) that would do all that in three hours and off they go. The industry is completely swamped with it now, I'm sure you would agree? I must confess until I started my own long and hard education I didn't fully understand how truly absurd this fact is!

I have to kind of agree. Although yes, I'm qualified nails etc my S2 training consisted of a morning describing the products being used, painting one nail and removal. And I also think the Guild etc are to blame for the questionable courses out there...too quick to approve a well written (or photocopied blatantly from a local college as in one recent handout I was given) but do they actually, physically check what is being taught, to who and by who...I think not, they just take the registration fee of the accredited member and sell insurance to the students and advertising.

If someone comes to S2 with a manicure certificate in hand, we have to assume they took a manicure course. They cannot buy without it. Blame the schools for teaching bad courses ... As for S2 they won't let anyone do a Shellac course unless the person has already got a manicure certificate so naturally on certain Shellac courses S2 do not teach manicuring as it is taken for granted you know how to do it for goodness sakes.

The CND manicuring course is fantastic and one of, if not the best and most complete available. If people take the CND manicuring course, they damned well know what they are doing and how and why. But many decide not to pay for a quality course and go elsewhere for the manicuring and come back for Shellac when they have done it. Can't police every course to see if it meets CND standards because they won't. The industry is what it is and it's not perfect by any means.

Latest posts

Back