"Work experience", what are your views?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's good to know. My tutor keeps telling us about the "pacific" things we need to know and that for our exams, they will ask us (enter whatever) which is why she is going to "learn" us the correct termination. Had to bite my tongue everytime she said she would learn us something, is she our teacher or learner?
Drives me mad!!

I might have thought twice about employing her 😁

And yet salons wont take apprentices over the age of 18...

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek mobile app

16-23 for apprentiships 😄

Why are students who are clearly lacking in any real understanding or skill even being allowed to pass the courses?!

Because the colleges get a better pass rate and more funding from the government. So sad.

Laura xx

16-23 for apprentiships 😄

Yeah but they hardly take them on over 18 as they don't get as much government help and funding. That's all it's about these days.

Laura xx

The salon i rent my nail desk from has a work experience girl there and she is lovely, well presented and well spoken! However her training is terrible!

It took her (Brace yourselves waxers) 4 hours to do a full leg wax, and that was when the salon owner (A good friend of mine) asked me to go help as i was done with my own clients and was about to head home and she was back to back all day.

There was wax left all over the leg, stray hairs everywhere, she'd only managed to do the front of one leg and the bottom front half of the other. She went through 2 full packs of wax strips, 3 packs of cotton pads and half a bottle of cleanser! I was shocked at the state she had the client in!

The client had been told that it was a work experience girl and she would get a 15% discount off her treatment to give the girl experience as it might take longer but i dont think she was expecting that long!

As an experienced waxer, it took me 45mins to get all the dried wax off her legs and finish the leg wax, which meant the woman had been there for nearly five hours!

(Bonus for me, the salon owner got me a bottle of rose for helping her out and a box of chocs! :wink2: )

Was she qualified ?! I wouldn't let a work experience to any waxing at any price !

Yeah but they hardly take them on over 18 as they don't get as much government help and funding. That's all it's about these days.

Laura xx

It's exactly the same but would you want to work for £72 a week !

Iv had an exact replica of the one you are talking about here. They must be twins. Can't do with attitude.
I had a newly qualified level 2 therapist on a trial period in the summer. Her attitude was shocking, her polishing skills... well lets just say my 10 year old daughter could do a much better job with her eyes closed. It was the worst French polish I had ever seen. How she got passed off for that is beyond me. Disgraceful

TRIPLETS.......I had the other one.

Is it? I thought it was different :S oops.
Ha and no would I Eckers! Lol.

Laura xx

And yet salons wont take apprentices over the age of 18...

That's because the government will only allow you to pay apprentice minimum wage up to the age of 19 this can be difficult for small businesses as then they have to find national minimum wage for someone who isn't making the business any money or albeit a small amount. We have recently been looking for an apprentice but some of the cvs are shocking applying with text speak:/

Yeah I would, its far better then paying 2.5k for 1/2 day a week at college to be told college education is non employable; only apprentice trained required :eek:

What I mean is salons can't complain if theyre part of the problem

& I fully agree higher education is lead by monitary values to the detriment of education in many cases.

Was she qualified ?! I wouldn't let a work experience to any waxing at any price !

She was meant to be on her level three in beauty, which meant she was fully qualified in waxing as she did it in her level two. Worst this is the college was telling us she's one of the best they have!

I agree with you ... I wouldn't.... But I get it in the neck when I post on threads the amount of salons that take apprentices for no pay as they need work experience...exploitation in my eyes and i will stick with my opinion.. My little 17 year old apprentice gets £5 per hour...how can anyone be motivated with the Government guidelines of pay. It's disgusting.

I think it's such a shame that people have had such bad experiences with work experience students and apprentices. It makes it almost impossible for those of us who are super motivated (and know how to act in a professional manner) to get a break. I've been looking for an apprenticeship or work experience for nearly 3 years and have got no where. People don't want the unmotivated younger students but don't want to pay for the older learners. What are we to do? :(

I think it's such a shame that people have had such bad experiences with work experience students and apprentices. It makes it almost impossible for those of us who are super motivated (and know how to act in a professional manner) to get a break. I've been looking for an apprenticeship or work experience for nearly 3 years and have got no where. People don't want the unmotivated younger students but don't want to pay for the older learners. What are we to do? :(

I paid for an older learner...I made reference to it on the first page, not everyone is bad and it's not always the younger ones.. I think their appearance is rather shocking sometimes but that's probably because I'm old..lol

I totally believe that their are stand out trainees at all ages. I was just trying to say that from my experience that young trainees tend to get branded as lazy or lacking in customer service skills and the older ones are thought of as too expensive to take on. I think I have a slightly bitter view on this as an older student who just can't get a break. XD

I totally believe that their are stand out trainees at all ages. I was just trying to say that from my experience that young trainees tend to get branded as lazy or lacking in customer service skills and the older ones are thought of as too expensive to take on. I think I have a slightly bitter view on this as an older student who just can't get a break. XD

Yes I agree. Such a shame you don't live down south. I would help you...providing you passed the trade tests that is..ha ha ...I could do with a mature apprentice/student on a Thursday and Saturday TBH.

There are two issues here: attitude and lack of knowledge through poor practical teaching at college.

A good attitude can get you somewhere even if the teaching at your college wasn't all that. I worked hard to get my skills up after college and I'd like to think that a good attitude helped me a lot here.

If you've got a bad attitude that's not necessarily the fault of the college. You could have had the best possible teaching there is and still lack the necessary people skills to support that.

Good attitude is a necessary starting point basically.

There are two issues here: attitude and lack of knowledge through poor practical teaching at college.

A good attitude can get you somewhere even if the teaching at your college wasn't all that. I worked hard to get my skills up after college and I'd like to think that a good attitude helped me a lot here.

If you've got a bad attitude that's not necessarily the fault of the college. You could have had the best possible teaching there is and still lack the necessary people skills to support that.

Good attitude is a necessary starting point basically.

Closely followed by common sense. ..Yes, yes, I know it's not that common. ..!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Because the colleges get a better pass rate and more funding from the government. So sad.

Therein lies the rub.
Perhaps it's time for the government to rethink their funding strategy, and plough more money into parenting, attitude and life skills.
With this stupidly low barrier to entry the profession is struggling beyond words.
It's about time it was professionalised and that can only happen when the calibre of students is improved.
Nobody wants these people in the industry; not the colleges, not the industry, not the consumers, not the manufacturers, not the salon owners, yet they are allowed to pollute it, diluting the quality and demeaning the profession.

That's good to know. My tutor keeps telling us about the "pacific" things we need to know and that for our exams, they will ask us (enter whatever) which is why she is going to "learn" us the correct terms. Had to bite my tongue everytime she said she would learn us something, is she our teacher or learner?
Drives me mad!!

That's insane:eek:

Latest posts

Back