Working 1 month notice, any advice please?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ditzy

Reaction score
You'll see in my blog my current work situation, but what I'm wondering, is do any of you know, if your contract says 1 month notice, what can they do if you don't work that notice, say, you tell them you're leaving in 1 or 2 weeks time?

Also I've been told by a friend that although I've not actually received a contract yet, because I've worked there more than 1 month, I am seen in the eyes of the law as having agreed to their terms and conditions. Can anyone tell me if this is correct or not?

Maybe someone has experience of something similar and can tell me what the law really is. Thanks guys!

To be honest they cant do anything....other than not pay you for your holiday pay, i think. Its always best to leave anywhere on good terms and to work your notice, but this isn't always possible and so i did leave a place once with only 1 days notice and it should have been 4 weeks....they didn't do anything.

I agree, never leave a job on bad terms. You never know when you'll need a reference or something. Your months notice gives the salon owner time to find a replacement, leaving them early will really drop them in it and will do your reputation no good at all.

Definitely try to leave on good terms, you never know when you will bump into your former colleagues again in this Industry!!
Regarding working the full month, you should have accrued some holidays even after 4 months and they may add up to a week off your notice.

Also, sad to say but in a Salon what can happen is that as soon as you put your notice in they tell you to leave immediately and they will pay you your notice anyway. This is to ensure you do not use your last month with them to inform all their clients of your new job/location.

The best people to speak to regarding any employment questions are ACAS.

Last edited:
ACAS should always be a port of call when you have concerns about your employment and employment rights. CAB are also very good and the internet has some very good points of reference.

Try your best to leave on good terms - better for both parties while you work out your notice. You never know where life will bring you and who you will meet again in the future.

Make the most of your time there. At least then you know you did you best and you can leave with you head held high.

I haven't read your blog, but if you speak to the owner, maybe they would be happy for you to work only 2 weeks.

I've given my notice before and been told to just go there and then. Some salons are concerned that you might try to take their clients with you.

How do you know what the contract says if you haven't got one? Did they get you to sign or show you one?

Like the others said, try the ACAS or the CAB. They are really good at helping.

Leave on the best terms you can. You might need them later.

Latest posts

Back