Working from home but im sooo confused?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmeraldBeauty

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I love this site so really hope someone can help. I want to start slowly building my own business from home.

I already have a few clients (friends and friends of freinds) So only roughly 3-4 people a week and mainly only for eyelash extensions. But i want to start offering more and building my clients up.

I want to start advertising myself and want everything to be above board.

I have filled in a registration form incl NI number online and recieved an email saying they will get back to me within 2-4 weeks if they need more info. Im hopeing this is how il get my business number so i can apply for a santander account.

I have my own insurance through salon gold. I have also informed our home insurance and emailed our morgage company so they know aswell.

I have spoken to the council who are now saying that i may need to pay a one off fee of £350?? Im not really sure why? I am not making any structural changes to our home? There is still a fouton in the room so will still be used as a domestic room aswell?We have a driveway that will fit 5 cars so no clients will need to park on the road? Does this sound right to anyone?

Can anyone think of anything else i need to do so im totally above board?

Also how does everyone go about keeping track of everything? Do i need to buy a reciept book? or can i just have an appointment book i will write everything in? Do i need to write down exactly how long the treatment took me and how much product i used and how much i charged so i can give it to an accountant at the end of the year? I also work part time in the evenings in a salon at the moment because i have a one year old son, i dont earn enough to be taxed but i do pay NI, will this all change?

It all just so confusing any advice from those experienced in working from home would be much apreciated.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back