Working from home - how long between treatment times?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlawlessBeauty

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I'm setting up a cabin salon, which i'm sure some of you know from previous threads.

How long do those of you who work from home leave yourselves between treatments to take payments, rebook, clean up, and get ready for the next client? I think i will need more time than in a salon because i don't have a waiting area, so i'll have to make sure i'm really running on time, but it can be tough when people turn up late, want a little something extra done or are more awkward than you expect and with other clients turning up early.

I'm thinking 30 minutes between treatments, from the exact time it takes to complete a treatment, but it sounds so long. I'm working in 15 minute increments, but 15 minutes seems like not enough time. I just wanted to get another perspective on it.

Thanks in advance xx

I leave 30 minutes which also allows me to write up client notes, answer emails, phone messages etc. It does seem a long time but I find it's essential as I don't have a waiting area and one of the stipulations of my home insurance is clients have to be with me at all times (so couldn't be in a waiting area anyway).

The bonus is that when you finish with your last client you really have finished work as you've already done all the little jobs that you'd normally have to wait to do at the end of the day.

I leave 30 minutes which also allows me to write up client notes, answer emails, phone messages etc. It does seem a long time but I find it's essential as I don't have a waiting area and one of the stipulations of my home insurance is clients have to be with me at all times (so couldn't be in a waiting area anyway).

The bonus is that when you finish with your last client you really have finished work as you've already done all the little jobs that you'd normally have to wait to do at the end of the day.
I used to leave 30 minutes as well. I still had occasional bumps into each other when one is late and the next is dead early but not often.

Vic x

Thanks very much for your replies. I am investing in an online booking system so this has been really something to think about.

I've decided to go with 30 minutes for the reasons you've said. Also I'm marketing myself as a bit more luxurious than the cheap nearby salons so I don't want to be pushing people out the door :)

Thanks again xx

I leave 30 mins as well enough time for all the necessities and a cup of tea :)

I don't understand why you have to leave anymore time than you would do in a salon. That's a lot of time wasted when all of those 30mins are added up. I would make it clear that they have to be on time and make sure that your treatments don't run over. I clean whilst my client is getting dressed so the next client can walk straight in. If you really do need to leave a gap I would say 10mins max.

I think a good Idea would be to start off at 30 mins and see how you go, experience will give you your answer, some people you can guarantee you'll finish on time or will turn up ten mins early but others are not so predictable, go with 30 and lower it in time :)

I think a good Idea would be to start off at 30 mins and see how you go, experience will give you your answer, some people you can guarantee you'll finish on time or will turn up ten mins early but others are not so predictable, go with 30 and lower it in time :)
I think this is really valid actually. You do get to learn your clients and their little habits, I have one who will arrive anything up to half an hour early, another who is guaranteed to be 15 mins later than booked. There are others who like to spend the first few minutes saying hello to my dog lol and those who turn up exactly on the dot etc To me the luxury of being self employed and working from home is that I can do this, I can have a certain amount of flexibility for myself and clients, and they like it. I've owned a salon and I've worked in one, I've worked back to back with constant clock watching and I now choose to work from home so I can do things differently. However if you want your business to run like a standard salon with back to back appointments then you can, that's the best thing about being self employed - you get to choose :)

Well i'm starting with 30 minutes for most treatments and 15 minutes for waxing because i know i don't take as long as i allow myself for the actual treatment time.

That's what i was thinking Kim, that it was a waste of time that could be earning money, but as i've been thinking about it, i think i would prefer to have too much than too little. At least i can reduce it if i feel like it's way too much. Other treatments can take longer to tidy up from as well. Like massage or facials where the client is a bit sleepy getting themselves up and dressed x

I used to leave 15 minutes. Occasionally someone had to wait so I had a chair in the hall just outside the room. 30 minutes does sound toooooo long

I leave 30 minutes too. I like to ensure I have enough time to provide a buffer in case I over run. Also to refresh my room. Empty the bin, straighten up etc. Xx

Mixed reviews but all opinions help :) xx

Mixed reviews but all opinions help :) xx
Really there is no hard and fast rule and there's no reason why you can't change it in the future.

The most stressy I ever got in this job was running late working from home because there is nowhere for the next client to go. I'd have clients early and/or late. Sadly, when you work from home, clients often think you actually do f all apart from sit around waiting for them so it doesn't matter if they're early or late, they just think you'll be there waiting for them.

I'd always rather have too much time than too little, and at least your overheads are low!

Good luck

Vic x

Great advice. Thanks Vic xx

I try and leave 30mins because a large number of my Clients travel around an hour to me. This allows for a little leeway with traffic.

I try and leave 30mins because a large number of my Clients travel around an hour to me. This allows for a little leeway with traffic.
Lol my worst offenders were usually the ones living on my doorstep x

I leave 15 mins and make it clear to all of my clients that I do not have a waiting room so not to arrive early. In the politest way of course :)

Hannah x

I don't understand why you have to leave anymore time than you would do in a salon. That's a lot of time wasted when all of those 30mins are added up. I would make it clear that they have to be on time and make sure that your treatments don't run over. I clean whilst my client is getting dressed so the next client can walk straight in. If you really do need to leave a gap I would say 10mins max.

I agree with Kim, I am a freak for timings! Salon timings shouldn't be any different, the timings I have set in salon include tidying your station, writing notes taking payment etc. an extra 15 mins on massage and facials I'm happy with so the therapist can spend the extra time making the experience but waxing, nails the rest timings are important for clients too!
Does the 30 mins extra reflect in your pricing?
Xx

I tend to do my timings by client rather than treatment, i.e. - Ones who I know are always late and cause stress, I give an extra 10 mins to, whereas I know it takes Doris 10 mins to get off the couch and 10 mins to take her time drinking her water and telling me about her road kill pheashant she had for dinner, then she needs a wee, so I allow 25 mins for her, whereas others who I know are always on time and leave quick have 15 mins. ......then there's the mother-in-law who insists on telling me about every operation, every neighbour in the street has had and then wants to inspect my flower beds! She gets the last appointment of the day!!!

I work from home and I leave between 15 and 30 minutes between cliients, depending upon the treatment I am carrying out. I do a range of beauty ad holistic treatments so some treatments will take more time than others to clear up and prepare the room for the next. As you get to know your clients you will work out what their 'habits' are and how long you need to ensure that none of them feel rushed and you don't end up feeling stressed.

Latest posts

Back