Working from home - how long between treatment times?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tend to do my timings by client rather than treatment, i.e. - Ones who I know are always late and cause stress, I give an extra 10 mins to, whereas I know it takes Doris 10 mins to get off the couch and 10 mins to take her time drinking her water and telling me about her road kill pheashant she had for dinner, then she needs a wee, so I allow 25 mins for her, whereas others who I know are always on time and leave quick have 15 mins. ......then there's the mother-in-law who insists on telling me about every operation, every neighbour in the street has had and then wants to inspect my flower beds! She gets the last appointment of the day!!!

I don't understand why some clients get up to an extra half hour that's crazy! Your prices include your time. There was a time when a therapist gave herself an extra half hour for a specific client who would have a 30 min file and polish every few weeks and she would book an hour out. The cost of the treatment was 9.50 so really that just covered her wage for that hour, no product cost or overhead cost in that. The therapist was off sick and the same lady booked in with me and left more than happy with the result.. 20 mins I had her on that table!
Xx

I don't understand why some clients get up to an extra half hour that's crazy! Your prices include your time. There was a time when a therapist gave herself an extra half hour for a specific client who would have a 30 min file and polish every few weeks and she would book an hour out. The cost of the treatment was 9.50 so really that just covered her wage for that hour, no product cost or overhead cost in that. The therapist was off sick and the same lady booked in with me and left more than happy with the result.. 20 mins I had her on that table!
Xx
But isn't that the joy of being self employed. We can basically do whatever suits us, especially working from home where your overheads are a fraction of a salon. In the salon I'm a lot more concious of time/money but I still allow a fair bit of time between clients. Never as much as at home, but a lot more than many salons. I never want to be looking over my shoulder or rushing. I'm far too laid back lol

Vic x

I'm going to give myself the extra time to start with, but work as if it's only 15 minutes and see if i can stick to it every time. If i can, then i'll reduce my time.

I have catered for a break gap in my price list. I'm more expensive than the local salons but they are quite cheap. As in, their prices and their products are cheap. I'm going for a more luxurious salon.

I have never let clients get away with being consistently late, so i don't think that will be an issue. I have online booking so all my clients will have to be treated the same time-wise anyway. The computer won't be able to tell that Mrs Smith always needs extra time, for example.

In my previous job i found that quite a few clients would ask to add in a treatment or two, like ebs and lip wax, so the extra time was really helpful.

I'm mindful that i'm working from home, which means residential area and i'm aware that i don't want to cause any parking issues by having more than one car at a time due to my business.

Like Vic, i like to be able to enjoy my work without the stress of running over. I can give the clients that little bit more of my time to make it feel more special than the local salons too...USP maybe :)

I'll let you know how it goes xx

But isn't that the joy of being self employed. We can basically do whatever suits us, especially working from home where your overheads are a fraction of a salon. In the salon I'm a lot more concious of time/money but I still allow a fair bit of time between clients. Never as much as at home, but a lot more than many salons. I never want to be looking over my shoulder or rushing. I'm far too laid back lol

Vic x

I wish I was a little more laid back hahaha! Yes I suppose the overheads of a home salon would be different to a salon but do you charge less being a home salon? If you can leave that much time between clients and still make good money then I'm all for it! I'm sure you will find your own once in the swing of it anyway. All the best.
Xx

I wish I was a little more laid back hahaha! Yes I suppose the overheads of a home salon would be different to a salon but do you charge less being a home salon? If you can leave that much time between clients and still make good money then I'm all for it! I'm sure you will find your own once in the swing of it anyway. All the best.
Xx
I always said that having a home salon was the richest I ever was :)

I work fewer hours, with less stress and make as much profit working from home compared to when I owned my salon and employed staff :)

The way I see it, having a home salon means I can offer something different to a high-street salon environment. I don't like doing back-to-back treatments because sometimes it makes clients feel a little rushed. I do holistic treatments and sometimes it makes clients feel comfortable and want to talk about things that are bothering them. A half hour gap gives time for that. To me, this is part of the service, so half an hour between clients is how I operate. Having a small break between each client also helps me to recharge and then I feel like I'm giving a better treatment.
But each to their own, this is how I work but I'm not suggesting it's the 'best' way.

I usually book in 30min slots for spray tans, brows and tinting (that usually take 15-20mins). 1hour for lash lift, 1.5 hours for lash extensions in case they have dense lashes. This way chances are Im finished and have cleaned up and tidied up the area ready for the next one. This way if im running behind I still have a few mins to clean up before next one arrives and if I need to can finish up prepping with products while the client is filling out their consultation form.

If you are rammed and cant fit any more in, its time to hike your prices up because you are doing great!

Latest posts

Back