Working from home - what do I need to do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlekate

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Sorry of this has been mentioned before but I did do a search and couldn't really find the answer!
I am moving in to a new house soon and have decided to work from home instead of in the room I currently rent. I have given my notice there and am planning on working from home from end of may. I have contacted the local council but they haven't really been much help really. I asked if I needed any permissions or anything and they didn't seem to know! They told me to contact VOA about business rates but that was it? Do I need to contact a health and safety officer or fire safety etc? Or is it really that I can just set up and hey presto?! Seems a bit relaxed to me and want to make sure I have done everything as don't want to end up being reported or something.

If your room is being used as a therapy room but has another home use e.g. guest bedroom or home office then you do not need to pay business rates if I recall. In fact, over here provided I dont have a seperate entrance to the place of work such as using the garage then the council do not care one bit that I plan to open a home salon.

Hopefully somebody who has done it over in England will be along soon though to confirm their findings :)

Hi guys,
Sorry of this has been mentioned before but I did do a search and couldn't really find the answer!
I am moving in to a new house soon and have decided to work from home instead of in the room I currently rent. I have given my notice there and am planning on working from home from end of may. I have contacted the local council but they haven't really been much help really. I asked if I needed any permissions or anything and they didn't seem to know! They told me to contact VOA about business rates but that was it? Do I need to contact a health and safety officer or fire safety etc? Or is it really that I can just set up and hey presto?! Seems a bit relaxed to me and want to make sure I have done everything as don't want to end up being reported or something.
If you use the part of your home that you plan to use for business in ANY way as also a part of your family home you do not have to pay business rates. You may sometimes, for example use it as a quiet study or reading room

Depending on your council, it really is that easy. If they're so laid back about it, don't go looking for problems. I spoke to my neighbours as a matter of courtesy, and asked them to let me know if there were any problems, but I never had a complaint. The council were fine, so I set up from home. I did a nail course once where I was told I had to register for health and safety, and within 2 days received a call from somebody asking about my risk assessments etc (think I was grassed up) but after a chat with the lady, no I didn't need any more than I had. You are constantly doing your own risk assessments etc, it's only when you put others into the workplace the (potential) problems arise!!!

I am mobile but work from home a couple of days a week, I've never asked for any permissions or business rates, I use my study at home which just has a small desk in the corner and I out my beauty couch up as and when I need it. We have just sold our house and I had the room set up for treatments, nobody seemed to care!! Xx

Ps.. I have jnsurance so am covered for public liability too.. I wouldn't work from home without this xx

Oh you would also need a risk assessment and permit from the council if you use needles of any form for electrolysis, semi perm make up etc. That was the only thing my council and the health and safety exec told me would make a difference in them having an interest in a home salon and not.

Great. Thanks so much for all your help. Seems it is really simple. I already have insurance for the room I'm renting now so I can just change that and I don't use needles for anything so it should be fine. I'm not planning on using the room for anything else as yet but may use it as a spare bedroom when needed.

I work from my converted garage and I do have a letter from the council acknowledging that I work from home. Just makes me feel better to have it. Apparently if anyone complains then I have to do go for full permission to work from home! Also, someone from the council just turned up, looked in my room and then told me I have to pay business rates because the room was obviously being used to work from. However, they have never taken any money from me to cover rates. It's all very confusing and I think different councils do different things.

Hope it goes well.

I work from my converted garage and I do have a letter from the council acknowledging that I work from home. Just makes me feel better to have it. Apparently if anyone complains then I have to do go for full permission to work from home! Also, someone from the council just turned up, looked in my room and then told me I have to pay business rates because the room was obviously being used to work from. However, they have never taken any money from me to cover rates. It's all very confusing and I think different councils do different things.

Hope it goes well.

It is all so very confusing, I have just built a log cabin
But was not aware of all the legal requirements.

I am having parking issues with the neighbours - I work from home in my kitchen (small nail table set to one side).

After reading this I guess business rates don't apply - does anyone know where I stand with the parking on an unadopted street? I don't morally park in 'their' space but clients occasionally do.. Before in future telling them to sod off I just want to know that I'm within my rights?

Glamour Fairy :)

I am having parking issues with the neighbours - I work from home in my kitchen (small nail table set to one side).

After reading this I guess business rates don't apply - does anyone know where I stand with the parking on an unadopted street? I don't morally park in 'their' space but clients occasionally do.. Before in future telling them to sod off I just want to know that I'm within my rights?

Glamour Fairy :)

This is something I would like to know too, If anyone can help. I have tried to google but I have not really had any answers.
Thanks x

Please note that you all need to let your home insurers know that you will be working from home. Even if you have separate liability cover you also need to tell the home insurers otherwise this could invalidate a claim for not declaring you are working from home. Just a bit of advice from a fellow geek/insurance broker! Lol 😉 xxx

I seem to remember a fellow geek having a nightmare with her neighbour over parking issues and the council got involved and tried to close her down so i would tread very carefully, make sure you have informed the council that you are working from home, only having one client at your home at a time etc.
H xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

In a public road you are entitle to park where ever you like. As long as it doesn't obstruct a drive way and you don't park over a dropped kerb then your clients have the right to park along there! Your neighbours don't own the road! Or make the rules! X

In a public road you are entitle to park where ever you like. As long as it doesn't obstruct a drive way and you don't park over a dropped kerb then your clients have the right to park along there! Your neighbours don't own the road! Or make the rules! X

I agree, but these neighbours can potentially close her down if they say that she is bringing extra traffic / parking issues to her street due to her working from home (there are some horrible / nasty ppl out there)
Not fair tho as we all pay Car Tax for a reason, and no one owns a part of the curb ... X

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Surely though if you are doing one set of nails at a time, that would only mean one extra car in the street at any one time? If you had a busy salon in your back garden with 3/4 therapists and back to back appointments all day then I could understand. Some people are so jealous that somebody else might be earning a buck or two more than them. Typical busy bodies! X

Sorry. Commented on wrong post

But if you are running a business from your home and there are enough complaints, certain councils WILL get involved

Latest posts

Back