Working from home, what % of electric/water/heating can I claim back?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebelrebel

Reaction score
Hi, I'll be doing my tax returns soon and it's the first time working from home, I'm wondering what % I I can put down, I work from 1 room.
Thanks in advance

My accountant told me to claim for my beauty room as a percentage of the main rooms in the house. So for me that's 1/8th.
Therefore I put through 1/8th of my bills for:
  • electric
  • heating oil
  • gas
  • telephone
  • water

Anything you've purchased specifically for your business room such as a new heater or chairs, you claim 100% of these. Also claim for client refreshments, magazines, signage, stationery, printer ink etc

You may be able to do a higher percentage for your utilities, but I've always stuck with my original advice.

Thank you both that's very helpful x

Your accountant should sort it for you x

Rd beauty if I had an accountant then I wouldn't be asking the question, I do my own accounts, I have done for the past 29 years but always been mobile and salon based, first time working from a room at home.

I did my tax return last week and was shocked when I discovered you’re meant to pay tax for services in kind or trade swaps! Tips I knew about. Leeches

W
Hi, I'll be doing my tax returns soon and it's the first time working from home, I'm wondering what % I I can put down, I work from 1 room.
Thanks in advance

I’ve actually not yet claimed for it. There is such a grey area like with mobile phones for shared home and work use.

I did however become more aware of my usage and the last 2 years of working from home I’ve spent far less on utilities than before I was here all day!! Last year saved £600 somehow.

I did my tax return last week and was shocked when I discovered you’re meant to pay tax for services in kind or trade swaps! Tips I knew about. Leeches

Maybe 3 things to consider on this:

If a trade swap, you also include the notional cost, so you end up with nil profit on the swap.

For the SIK, include them but then write them off as bad debts.

Apply for the cash basis accounting from HMRC so you only include cash actually received and paid.

I’d consult your accountant before doing any of these as yiu may have certain other aspects to consider.

Latest posts

Back