working in salon whilst training...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleL

Reaction score
Hi All,

Im currently undertaking (part-time) training to complete my VTCT beauty level 2 (so far i've done my manicure and facial skincare course), im also currently halfway through doing a Level 2 in Nail technology (nail extensions) at my local college on a part-time basis...

As well as doing these part-time courses, im also working fulltime (mon-fri 9-5pm) for my dad (book-keeping for his company)

Basically i just wondered if it's possible to get work in a salon whilst not actually being qualifed as yet? I would very much like to work in a salon at the weekend to help me gain some 'hands-on' experience and i wondered if salon's would take me on or whether there are restrictsons which prevent un-qualifed therapists working in a salon?

As i mentioned, im only looking for weekend work and it's definiteley much more about the experience than the money..

Do you think it would be worth contacting a few of my local salons or not?

Laura X

When people have contacted me for work experience while still studying i always ask if they are looking for payed work or voluntary work to gain experience,
sorry to say this but if they say payed work i refuse to take them on as they are more interested in the money than the experience,
if they say they don't mind and would be willing to do voluntary work to gain the experience then i invite them along to meet up and see what we can do for each other,
when someone says they are willing to do voluntary work, you know they have a genuine interest in the industry and purely want the experience in order to better themselves and to help them find paid work when qualified, which is great,
as a salon owner it does cost us to take on trainees, we have insurance to pay for, for that person to be in the work place,
it costs us in time as we try to show you as much as we possibly can and further aid your training hopefully,
it can be a risk with our regular clients, some can be funny and just don't like to see a different face in the salon,
some will refuse to be treated by a trainee even under supervision,
both of which is understandable if you look at things from their point of view,
these are just some things for you to consider but yes definitely contact some of your local salons, there are some of us out there that are willing to help others hth

thank you for your reply.

I completely understand what you have said and to be honest, a little bit of money would be nice however as mentioned, im looking for weekend work for the 'hands-on' experience and to give me a chance to see how a day-to-day running of a salon works and to gain confidence working on clients and along side other therpists, so im willing to work as volentry for sure...

I do have my own insurance in place so assuming the salon wouldn't need to get any more insurance for me? (unless they need it for there purpose?)

Laura

The salon would still need insurance for you to be there, it is to cover themselves in case of any slips trips falls etc..
but it is good that you have your own too then you can practise outside of work,
usually when people work voluntary,
if they have been useful and helped out most people will give them a good will payment to thank them for their effort i know i have in the past,
also if you really get on well they may employ you when you are fully qualified,
you sound like you have the right attitude so go for it hun, you have nothing to lose :hug:

How about trying to get weekend reception work in a small salon that way you get to see what it's all about and to chat to the therapists about treatments and see how they handle the clients. You also gain product knowledge and I'm sure if you ask they will give you some demos/tips. :hug:

Latest posts

Back