Working Mums with Pre-School Children

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 14 year old and a 3 year old, I have been working from home around 6 months. There are pre schools that take children from the age of 2 so you would not have to wait very long for your youngest. They do seem to be a little cheaper than the private nurs.

Although I do have clients in the evening too and my hubby just like you works long hours and cant guarantee when he will be home. My little one does creep in to see whats going on and most clients love to have a little chat. He is then happy to see I am still around and goes and plays again.

You say your hubby wont help with the cost of childcare, why don't you come to a compromise and say that if he will help pay for 6 months to get you going? If things don't start to pick up you will find a different way.
By that time the little ones will be in pre school anyway and you will have a little time.

Tell him you just need a little help for a short time and the benefits in the longterm will be for the both of you. You will be happier earning your own wage, have something for you.

Good luck, I know how it feels for your family to be so far away, my family live 170 miles away.:hug:

Hi
I have a 18 month old and a 4yr old and i am due to open a salon end of month and already work mobile and also have a party planning business im also finding it difficult to juggle everything and cope with childcare fee's. Because of when my daughters birthday fell she wouldnt of gone to school full time untill this sept on her 5th bday so when she was 2 and 1/2 i put her in private school where she still is today when she turned 3 we were entitled to a government grant which every child is eligible for age 3-4yrs and it really helped that coupled with child tax credits really makes a difference.

When my salon opens the end of month i have no choice but to bite the bullet and put my 18 month old in nursery full time at the moment he's 3 mornings this costs £38 per day but what choice do us mums have its either that or give up on all your hopes and dreams the point im trying to make is that your not alone and it can be done as hard as it is i think you just have to go for it and in a way it will drive you to push your business because you know you got to make them nursery fee's and a bloody wage!! :lol:

One thing i would say though as much as your husband is bringing in a wage i think he needs reminding that you didnt bring your children into the world alone and to say he wont be contributing to childcare is a bit selfish and also in a way holding you back its not easy making the break back into the real world after being at home with your children and i think maybe a bit more support from your husband maybe just what you need ive had this argument with my husband many a time as its always the women that have to arrange everything to do with children!!

Anyway enough of my essay, i cant stop once im started :lol:
Believe in yourself honey get yourself motivated and definately look into any help you may be entitled to with childcare, Good Luck xx

Is your Hubby not liking the idea of you going back to work?

It's tough enough for us Moms to deal with the everyday stuff, and then feel the sting of not contributing to the family finances on top of everything else.

I agree that maybe it just feels like the timing is off a bit. You may be better able to practise and wait, and feel no rush to get the home salon open. Sounds like you have enough on your plate right now.

Have you considered working evenings and hiring a childcare provider to come to your home until your Hubby is home from work? It would probably be cheaper than full time daycare.

Good luck. Keep us posted on what you decide, you can't be the only one dealing with this, and I'm sure many others will benefit from this thread.

Hi JoJo,

I am just setting up a home salon and have three children. I know how you feel with regard to childcare, and I also have a fear of failing as I'm sure most people do when they are about to begin along a new path.

Let me know how you are getting on with things.

Take care

I have been in a very simular situation to you, before my daughter started pre-school, i just kept my skills up, by doing treatments as and when on a handful of friends.
I now have the problem where i have all this extra time on my hands and struggling to get clients in. I keep telling myself "it takes time to build up a clientel", but it just can't happen quick enough for me, after all it has only been 3 months.
I really shouldn't worry it though, after all your babies are only babies for a few precious years, cherish them whilst you can, you have the rest of your life to work.

I have thought about this and I'm not worried about taking the plunge and starting off but I suppose worried aboutgetting things right. My hubby is happy to support me while I'm at home looking after the kids but he will not give any additional financial support if I have to get childcare. In other words, once I start working, if I do not cover childcare costs he wont be paying them.
quote]

My partner is exactly the same, and I do sometimes feel it is because he doesn't want me to go to work. So I understand how you feel. At the moment I work 2 days a week (fri and sat) although I seem to have to have lots of sats off, which isn't going down well. Because of this I am going to set up a home salon so I can arrange clients when I can do them. My children are nearly 4 and 8 months old, and there is no way I can afford childcare for the pair of them, so I will mainly be working evenings. My partner also works long hours so can't always be home to look after the kids, but when he is, he kicks up a bit of a fuss, and says well when can I go out (urm he goes out at least once a week with his friends whereas I don't) its not as if I'm out drinking, I'm out working. Its so frustrating, but at least working from home, hopefully will mean he will stop moaning.

I understand how you are feeling completely, as I feel the same way, but it will happen eventually. I love my time with my children, so am not in a hurry to set up a full time business, just want a few clients just so I can keep my skills up, and earn a little money for myself! Have the same attitude as me and take it as it comes! Good luck xx

Last edited:
Gosh, this is such an old thread, so a little update.

My home salon is now up and running and I'm slowly picking up business working around the girls. Come September I can push it even more as Emily will be at school full time and Sophia will be doing 3 full days.

Thanks everyone for there input and advise.

xxxx

Hi Jo

Gosh sounds like me a few years ago! I qualified in 2000 but go ME, was ill, separated from husband with two young children. Wanted to use my skills but didn't have the support so worked in an Infants School for six years...very rewarding, loved the job but the money was terrible but I got all the holidays and was paid pro rata so it worked out. Now I have resigned, have taken the plunge and set up my own Beauty Room at home. My boys are 10 and 14 so work/life balance is easier. I spent so much time in the past wanting to go back into Beauty but I didn't, I lacked confidence and I was scared it wouldn't work out and I'd be rubbish at it, but now I have been up and running for 5/6 weeks and I'm getting clients rebooking which has really boosted my self-esteem and confidence. I know I can do this, enjoy my job and earn good money but it takes time and you don't expect to have money coming out of your ears immediately. Overheards are small but the initial outlay was approx £700 and I've three quarters recouped that.

You must do what you think is right for you. Like Keeleydee says, enjoy your time with your children as time goes by so quickly and they grow up so fast. As a suggestion, maybe offer to do family and friends to start with, offer them a small discount and build up that way at a time that suits you and....always charge...no matter how small the treatment, unless its a birthday or special occasion. Maybe getting back into it gradually will help you realise what potential there is and by the time your daughter goes to school? Well the worl'ds your Lobster and word of mouth is a wonderful thing (a leaflet drop is good too)!

Loads of luck and best wishes

Sophia x

Emily is 3 and is at pre-school 4 mornings a week but sophia is only 1 (almost 2) and wont be starting for a while. I suppose if I did nails while sophia is at home it would be OK but emily would end up sitting on their lap as she loves watching and tries to paint her own nails. Not a good combination.

She will be going full days to pre-school in sept. for 3 days, so it wont cost me as much in childcare as I will be only paying for sophia. might have to wait until them but the salon job will have gone and it just seems good at the moment as it's just down the road and around the corner from the school.

Hi ive being doin mobile treatments for the last 6 months and have a 4 year old. I tend to do clients whilst he is at nursery or in the evenings, but on loads of occcassions my son has been at home with me and when clients are booking i inform them he is here. Many are absolutely fine with it as they want the treatment regardless. Only had one client that re arranged to the evening when my son was in bed.

i registered with the inland revenue as self employed,
and i am entitled to get 75% child care paid for by them!!!!
and so are all my friends so i dont see why your not!
phone them up, they are very much in favour of people that want to go out and earn, and very helpful xxxx

Latest posts

Back