Worried about training staff

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In-house trained staff will be insured depending on the treatment.

In level 2 you cover waxing, facials, nails, lashes etc. Therefore just because you aren't trained by the product brand you are still trained to perform the treatments. If you hold a manicure certificate and are in-house trained to use shellac, you are still covered by your insurance as you hold a manicure certificate.

I think brand training is so important though as you learn from the actual company trainers that will be very experienced in the products and sales of products.

Treatments that you don't hold a basic NVQ for though, I doubt will cover you.

As above, I think the distinction with in-house training is :

Is it training to learn an entirely new technique/service such as intimate waxing

Training in a particular brand having already learnt the basic technique with a similar brand -swapping from using Wella to Goldwell colours.

Everything my staff have trained in, I have trained in too. I can then speak confidently about the treatments and how they work, even if I don't practice them. It also means that if a staff member leaves, we are still able to offer the treatment.

I think the training companies aim is to protect their brand. If I trained staff in HD for example, with a kit etc, they could leave and suddenly my salon doesn't offer HD brows, but has all the kit. My staff member sets up on her own offering HD brows possibly using stuff from sallys. She would need a kit and I need HD trained staff. It's a bit of a minefield for all concerned, but at least if I'm HD trained as well, I can continue trading.

As salon owners we can get stitched up sometimes, but reading some threads on here, so can staff!

Vicki x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I am not sure if semi lashes are included in the nvq. I would have thought you would need to hold some sort of qualification/certificate for this.

I am not sure if semi lashes are included in the nvq. I would have thought you would need to hold some sort of qualification/certificate for this.

I'm not lash trained so not really sure how it works tbh. I only did cluster and strip at college and have never done lashes since lol! So may be able to use that but not to sure on the lash front.

Xx

Last edited:
"The only thing worse than training your employees and having them leave is not training them and having them stay." - Henry Ford

That's it! :)

Latest posts

Back