Would like to do nails, but so confused!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwickham

Reaction score
I am new to the beauty industry, just trained in spray tanning earlier this year. It was gone so well that I am thinking about adding something else. I am thinking nails, but have no idea where to start!

I have been reading a lot on here and a feeling a bit confused. There are so many names being mentioned: gel, gellish, bio scuplture, shellac. I know acrylics, but that's about it. What is the difference on them all?

I know I have to do a manic/pedi course first, or is a course that takes beginners ok, or best avoided?

I expect this has been answered many times, but I can't seem to find any answers!

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using SalonGeek

This post would take a month of typing to answer.

There is a tonne of info here on the site. There is a system comparison that explains the different systems in the articles and tutorials section. Start there and then keep reading ... it soon becomes apparent which brands have the reputation for best training, best products, best customer service etc. Stick with known and recommended brands and reputation and you cannot go far wrong.

Doing nails is not a quick or easy option, just to let you know. It is a LONG learning curve and a profession all on its own ... not really an add on service to others that you can learn quickly to add to other simple short treatments ... and it is a heavy investment in time and money.

Hi I a hairdresser and recently started doing nails ,mani, pedi ,a bit of nail art ,gelish and wraps,i have worked along side the beauty and nail industry for 14 year and have learned alot in that time so I knew what direction I wanted to go in ,but no its not easy u will have to work out what u like and what u would want to do on nails and yes defiantly start with a good mani pedi qualification :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

And if what to know about costs for all the things I mentioned doin courses and buying stock iv probably spent about 2k this year on nails :-D

I am new to the beauty industry, just trained in spray tanning earlier this year. It was gone so well that I am thinking about adding something else. I am thinking nails, but have no idea where to start!

I have been reading a lot on here and a feeling a bit confused. There are so many names being mentioned: gel, gellish, bio scuplture, shellac. I know acrylics, but that's about it. What is the difference on them all?

I know I have to do a manic/pedi course first, or is a course that takes beginners ok, or best avoided?

I expect this has been answered many times, but I can't seem to find any answers!

Thank you in advance.

You should do a complete nail course, just do a search on Google for nail technician course. I found these people that look pretty good:- Nail Courses | Nails and Beauty Academy and also ITEC UK Beauty Qualifications

Hope this helps

Thank you. I tend to usually use the app on my phone and i don't think you can access tutorials from there??

I am not looking for a quick add on, I am looking to move forward. But its good to see it in black and white that its not easy!!

Nails take a major investment of time, money and energy so I would advise you find a computer to do your research on and not to rely on doing it all through your phone. Your going to need a spreadsheet to work out costs for a start. As Geeg said there is a vast amount of info on here and you'll need more than your phone to get the best out of it.
@lynn, I wish I'd only spent 2 k :)

Hey dwickham! They are right nails is a long learning curve and very frustrating at times if your looking for an add on why not do a course in brow and lash treatments! Would be a great add on with your spray tans as most people get a spray tan for a special occasion or night out so eyelash extensions would finish their look? The course is relatively cheap too I paid £95 for mine and it covered tinting and brows too! Definitely do nails but don't expect to make a quick buck with them as it takes lots of practise and money to pay for course and kit
Hope this help :)

That just for my mani pedi and gelish so far :-D

Latest posts

Back