Would this solution work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louie6

Reaction score
My mothers nails aren't in the best of condition, but slowly I've been training her to look after them lol The problem that she seems to have is that her free edge grows a tiny amount and then breaks off, and on her actual nail, just below the smile line, it seems that the nail is flaking and splitting away, hard to explain, but it's like the top layer of the nail flakes and breaks away from the below layers, if that makes any sense lol Their not sore, red or inflamed in any way, nor is the surrounding tissue. So we have been giving her regular manicures and she applys almond oil twice a day, the flakiness was originally right down the nail and as we have been doing the regular care and filing her free edge rather than clipping it's now only at the end of her nail and the rest of the nail is good and healthy, so I was wondering, if I do a nno overlay in clear L+P with a small sculpted free edge, will this help to protect her weak nails and help grow out the rest of her nail so that the small amount of dry, flaky nail will grow out with the free edge until eventually it is grown out completely? She can then polish over the clear nno with any colour polish that she chooses and remove with non acetone remover on a weekly or fortnightly basis without worrying of damaging the nail beneath and I can give her regualr infills and manicures until the nail has grown out beneath? :biggrin: I just wanted to check with brill geeks before I go ahead, as I'm down there tomorrow and thought if this would work then mum can get the confidence to have nice nails that she has always wanted:biggrin: Thanks everyone, any advice will be very much appreciated:biggrin:

No-one?:rolleyes: Any advice would be great please:biggrin:

Probably not the best person to answer as I don't do L&P but will add two pennies as no one has answered yet.

My understanding is that any overlay is going to give strength to weak nails but as they dont change the structure of the nail she will end up with the same problems of breakage, if cuticle oil is not applied and her nails are structurally weak in their nature, when they are removed.

If she wants healthy looking nails but isn't worried about the length or has patience to wait then just keep treating them with the oil until all the flakiness is grown out, then consider enhancements when you can judge the condition of her nails at their best.

If she wants length now and can't wait or is desperate for colour, you can can give her an overlay with a short sculpted edge (anything long with weak nails could snap/bend off causing more damage) with the understanding the added strength will not remain after removal. Either way it will not treat the flakiness and it would in my opinion give better results if her nails are in optimum condition before any enhancements are applied as flakiness may result in lifting. But obviously this depends on the severity if the flakiness and the extent of it which only you can judge.

Hopefully someone with more experience in this area can give you better advise.

Last edited:
Thank you weezie, your opinion is very much valued:biggrin: I was wondering whether it may be better to keep doing as we are doing, regular manicures, and twice daily almond oil, I'm thinking I may get her to step up on the oil:biggrin: We have been filing the nails rather than cutting so as not to spilt any more layers, and like I said previously this was orginally the full length of her nail and is now only just behind her natural smile line, so it is obviously working, as the nails are growing out so is the flakiness and not re-appearing, which is great. When I go tomorrow I'll giver her a luxury manicure, with oil and buff to finish:biggrin: She may want a french polish but I will tell her that she needs to be oiling at least 3 times a day and that I will come back to remove the polish and re-manicure, I know she won't mind waiting, she's just pleased to be seeing improvement slowly but surely:biggrin: Thankyou again

Hiya,

Could you (if you use it) use either Shellac or Gelish? It would give her lovely nails without damaging the nail underneath, and of course it is long lasting so no need to worry about overexposure to acetone as its only used once a fortnight/three weeks.

Xx

Hi there, I would love to use shellac,but I'm still currently training, I've passed my nail technician, but I'm waiting to do my ezflow conversion in july before I start up, so currently haven't got shellac as yet:sad: Can't wait until I have:biggrin: But I think her nails will still need to be in better condition even for shellac (?) like I said they are getting there and fingers crossed it won't be too much longer and then by that time I should have shellac in and she will be my first candidate, and mum is so excited about it:biggrin: She can't wait to give it a go, bless her, I think we will continue with the manicures,oil and filing at least we will know they are progressing. Thank guys for your advice and help, really appreciate it:Love:

Latest posts

Back