Would you give some clients a discount?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fifi La Fume

Reaction score
I do a lot of holistic treatments, reflexology in particular. I work with people with genuine problems, last night I worked on a client who could really benefit from weekly treatments for the next 4-5 weeks, but I knew she couldn't afford it so I suggested that she could come to me at a time when I know I'm not busy and I would only charge her half price. Do you think it's a good idea to do this?

I just said to her 'please don't feel you have to come, but I would personally like to see how much you could benefit from regular treatments'. She seemed happy enough to do this, do you think I may have put her on the spot a bit?

The lady I rent my room from suggested concession prices for off peak times like Wednesday day etc???

I think you would need to be careful as she may tell lots of people that you gave her half price treatments and be inundated with people that "cant afford it".

If you are going to offer a discount on a particular day then this may not be a problem but you need to make sure you cover costs, maybe offer half price or a discount off a treatment with the purchase of a retail item.

I had a similar things with my chiropractor, i needed the treatment, ke knew he could help, I couldn't afford it so he offered half price sessions until I was sorted. Luckily for him, I only took 2 half price treatments as I was in too much pain to go back for more.

As for me offering a discount, I used to all the time. Now I have special offers that I display on my postcards, everyone gets the same and there are no exceptions unless it is a very very regular client who wants that nail art soooo bad but didnt bring enough money with them.

At the end of the day, it better for me to do it for them, they enjoy it, I enjoy it and they tell more people about me. I always look at it as a bit of advertising, if they even tell 2-3 people and one of them books then I gain.

HTH

Rachel

To me it doesn't seem as though you wer putting pressure on the client- I'm sure she was grateful that you cared enough to work something out to fit her circumstances.

I think it's a really good idea to offer concessionary rates or run special offers at off-peak times- it opens up your services to a whole new client base and it will encourage clients who would possibly view your services as an unaffordable luxury a chance to give themselves (or their loved ones) a treat.

its hard when you know you can help someone but its just money thats stopping them from getting this help.....

cant doctors refer people to reflexoligy on the nhs..??

I once spoke to a guy who was a hypnotherapist....he said he does freebies for when he knows that he can definitely cure/help people that want to be cured/helped but cant afford it.....he uses his own discretion and allows so many free jobs per year.

I would feel terrible if i knew i could make a massive difference to someones quality life but didn't cos of money.

If you can help her and your happy to do so at whatever rate you agree then I'd say do it...but ask her to keep it quiet.

Its nice to see that people still care about people and that its not all just about money...good for you. xxx

Latest posts

Back