Would you hire someone who was more amazing than yourself?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cait

CND EA. Essie Spokesperson
Reaction score
I've just been sent a resume from someone who's work is simply amazing.
They are moving to my town from another country, speaks the language and has loads of experience.
I've just checked their work and its well, amazing. It's typically trendy for another country but not for where I'm living. Where I live , its very very classic and conservative. This person's style is mega creative. We offer Gel , they are super talented in L & P. I'm not sure what their experience is with Shellac etc is. But they are also a very experienced Pedicurist another plus!

It's a guy. He's not from this country. He wants a job.

I love that its a guy, I'm not sure my seriously conservative clients will though but I'm sure he'll awe them with his nails.
I'm not from this country either but I've integrated myself , I also hire other people from other countries..so not a problem there.

I need a good nailstylist. He's good.

My fear? I suppose its the unknown, his talent... he has been his own boss before for a long time, maybe he will want to again after wowing my customers. My customers are super loyal and I love them, I know they would never have thought to go to a L& P studio advertising such colourful designs...
BUT... I may make the mistake of letting him slip through my fingers...maybe he could help me build my business, maybe I could make it worth his while to stay? I dont want a business partner right now, but maybe we could make a great team or maybe I could be shooting myself in the foot.
What would your thoughts be on this as an Employer ? How should I approach this?
:hug:

Hi Cait, how are you?

I would give him a shot because you know yourself...if you don't you're going to spend years kicking yourself with the why didnt I and what ifs......sure if things don't work out at least you tried and you can always have a radius clause in his contract to ease your mind that he'll leave you and take clients ....

Best of luck...I bet your gut instinct is to go for it....:)

Hi Rinn!

Have I ever told you I love your name cause its my maiden name (Rynne, but Rinn in Irish! ) ?

I totally forgot about the possibility of a radius clause! Of course!

Gut instinct is to sniff out exactly what his plans are and then make a MASSIVE hoo haw about him coming to our salon. But again Im worried - he may be to 'out there ' for my clients but thats silly isnt it, I mean I can do a trial period of 2 months...
I just think maybe maybe it could be extraordinary for the team - motivating, but like all girls I'm afraid of getting hurt I suppose.
I do good nails but he would bring something extraordinary to the table.
Urrrgh I suppose I can but start with an interview ;)

Where is he from, Cait? Like you say your clients are more classic and conservative so he may attract the more adventurous clientele. Where abouts in Austria are you?

That's it, sure you'll have better idea once you meet him...

Rinn Neimhe ...heavenly bodies as gaeilge

Where is he from, Cait? Like you say your clients are more classic and conservative so he may attract the more adventurous clientele. Where abouts in Austria are you?
He's Hungarian
I'm in salzburg, Austria.
Yes, thats what Im thinking but I'll also need to bring his work more up to date..it'S a little dated , amazingly talented but dated, so perhaps I too could contribute something.

I understand your reservations but this sounds fab. Introducing another artist, someone different, different character sounds good for you and good for your salon <3

We do this in our field aswell, we all work differently, different styles and techniques. You can learn from each other, I love this kind of collaboration!

I agree with the radius clause but I would go for it. x

He's Hungarian
I'm in salzburg, Austria.
Yes, thats what Im thinking but I'll also need to bring his work more up to date..it'S a little dated , amazingly talented but dated, so perhaps I too could contribute something.

It sounds like you would compliment and teach each other. It sounds like you should give it a go. Is he young, will he stay in Salzburg or move on in a few years time? Are you staying there?
I have moved to the UK from Switzerland 3 years ago. The market for nails and beauty is totally different here. There are a lot of expats in Switzerland that were interested in nails, but the locals not so. But, the profession is taken more seriously there if you know what I mean.

Hi skingeek!
Yeah these are the encouraging words I need! :) thanks

@ch-ela No he's not young - he's not old either lol!I need to do an in depth interview as he had mentioned business partner in his covering letter but Im not interested in that right now. I assume he wants to stay as he is moving his with his girlfriend.
Nail Art is kind of frowned upon here, but I have been slowly slowly introducing my clients to more fashion forward looks and it is slowly 'sloooowly' working. But who knows there are not so many nail techs here that could offer what he could offer..worth an interview at least. I'm hesitant to hire someone who has been successfully self employed , perhaps they may find working for someone a little difficult..you know?

I guess I'm asking his motivation of moving to Austria, and if he will stay or if he is moving around to see where would suit him best. Also, the idea of working for someone might be until he can learn all the ins and outs of running a business in Austria. I believe it's not as simple as in the UK, there must be much more paperwork.

I know that things move more slowly there on the continent. In some ways its better. New things are not easily accepted but when they are, they are there to stay.
After being self employed myself, I would struggle to be employed by someone. This seems to be playing on your mind so there could be more behind it than you think. This is where you need to ask the right questions and more importantly, try to get the right answers.
Any contract would be very enforceable so I don't think you need to worry there.
Excuse my english, I hope you know what I mean.

I would say yes, in fact i would make a point of doing it

I think you're thinking too much. You're impressed with his application so invite him for an interview and take it from there :)

Heck yes. I always believe in hiring "above" myself. They have things I can learn. If they came to me for a job... We need each other.

Heck heck yes.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using SalonGeek mobile app

Great advice and motivational words - thanks!
Yep my Gut is yes, yes yes...there something niggling but I think its fear of the unknown
We've starting talking so lets see..
@che-la yes I too would struggle to work for someone else..with someone else would be a different thing though, maybe this is where I need to ask those questions
I do however have those excited butterflies in my tummy too.
Ill keep you updated!:Love:

Good luck. I would jump at the chance of hiring someone better than myself, then maybe I could take a day off without worrying. If he is 'different' in his methods that is a fantastic selling point, that way you both have your usp which will attract the relevant clientele. It sounds like a good opportunity.

Hi :)

I absolutely would hire someone more awesome than me.

First and foremost think about what you could learn from him, you could develop new skills, I think that in itself is a plus if you hired him!!!

You mentioned he's been a boss himself, there must be a reason he isn't doing that anymore, maybe he doesn't like the pressure/responsibility of having his own business. I think I would sit down with him and explore his intentions and outlook for the future and take it from there.

Good luck xxx

Defiantly yes! As this could attract clients who would travel from other areas to go to your salon. Even if something is not the done thing then you can be the first to bring it to your area! You never know you and him together could be massive! You could be the start of something great and even if he has to change his designs if the skill is there it's there. Xxx

I wouldn't do it! Before you know it he'll woo your clients and they'll be his clients and it'll be Auf Wiedersehen! Haben Sie ein nettes Leben.

He's not going to build your business at all if he's already has his own business. Sorry but I'm being honest.

I wouldn't do it! Before you know it he'll woo your clients and they'll be his clients and it'll be Auf Wiedersehen! Haben Sie ein nettes Leben.

He's not going to build your business at all if he's already has his own business. Sorry but I'm being honest.

Kim I thought your comment may be " I'd be hard pushed to find one" ha ha ......OK if you're not going to use it, I will.... (smirk)

I think it would be better having him work in your salon, rather than your competitors!

But I know that sometimes people that have already had their own salons, find it difficult becoming an employee again...

Latest posts

Back