Wrong decision over massage course

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunflowerfi

Reaction score
I have completed my level 2 diploma in Beauty Therapy via a training agency -just awaiting for my work to be externally verified before I gain my qualification. I really enjoyed doing Level 2 and decided I would like to work on a mobile basis offering makeup, (as I completed a separate qualification in makeup), manicures and pedicures, NSI gel polish facials and eyebrow treatments. I am awaiting my qualification being awarded before I launch properly but have been doing bits mobile and charging just for fuel and materials in order to gain experience (I'm fully insured to do this).
Anyway to get to the point, I decided to enroll on level 3 evening course massage route thinking I would offer massage treatments too as there doesn't seem to be any mobile therapists offering this round our way.
However, a few months into my course I am filled with doubt over whether I should have gone down the nails route instead and that I am wasting a year and 24 plus loan.
Do you think there is much call for massage treatments mobile? A few friends have said to me that all I will end up getting interest from is dirty old men as people wanting a massage would either go to a spa or a sports therapist who can diagnose and treat.
I would welcome your opinions please...Although the course is hard two evenings a week, I am enjoying it and seem to be doing well

I've been doing mobile massage for around four years and I really enjoy it. You DO however get 'those' calls from dodgy men, especially when you start off. Be very careful about how you advertise - make sure it's clear you are offering a holistic massage (and avoid words like 'relief'!), say the bodies you are accredited with, and so on. I do not give full body massage to ANY men without an referral from a client, friend or relative. It might seem sexist or an overreaction but at the end of the day you have to protect yourself and your business. Having said that, I now have several regular male clients, they are good repeat business. It's a real shame that some people spoil it for the genuine ones!

Absolutely agree with Miss Sparkle. The massage route is a good one particularly if you're enjoying the course. I'm home based which, like mobile, brings its disadvantages and dodgy calls. You'll have to start developing your gut feeling when you take calls. No matter how polite the person on the phone sounds, go with your gut, and be careful with advertising.

I've got experience in nails and massage and the income is as sporadic or as stable with either depending what you make of it.

I don't think there's harm at all in offering massage. I have quite a few clients that want massage at home and what's great is that, assuming you already have your couch, all you need is some oil. It's great as an add on treatment and if you're building a clientele for facials at home I imagine they are the kind of people that will want massage at home as well. Enjoy your course!

Massage is a foundation treatment - it is a skill that you can use on so many other treatments such as manicure, pedicure, facial and even waxing.

I agree - I'm level 2 beauty trained and am now enrolled on level 3 complementary therapies (my beauty massage course was not working out at all!)

My clients always ask for massage so I know there will be demand for it. I have a home salon but also offer mobile services.

Good luck for your all your decide. x

You can specify on any advertising that your treatments are for ladies only and if you get funny phone calls you politely say they're for ladies only.

I love massage and actually had a client I hadn't seen for about 6 years come back to me as I had moved premises and lost touch. She said she just melts onto my couch and has booked weekly massages until the new year.

I am yet to find anyone to do me the sort of massage I like. I want to have what I do!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Don't worry about not getting clients, if you advertise properly you'll get plenty. I'm mobile and I only go to ladies who call. I would never go to a strange mans house.
However, I have several male clients who are husbands/boyfriends of my female clients and they are great.
Why do your friends think you will have problems? Are they therapists who have had bad experiences? I'm guessing they don't know what they're taking about. Xxx

Just coming back to this old post! I decided to stick with the course and am pleased to say I have passed my Swedish massage unit and am really enjoying massage. Definitely going to stick with it x

Latest posts

Back