Years in the beauty industry - lying

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skindeep72

Reaction score
Hi all, just wanted to ask if there is any law regarding the above. I thought the trade description act but I'm not too sure. I do know of a person, says she has 14 years experience when she hasnt, who's mother helps her out ie pays for all her advertising, holds on to her trade card, is in charge of her fb account, pays for her to training etc. This 'therapist' has no insurance, has a partner who works full time yet she is in receipt of all benefits inc HB, CTB, IS as she says she is a single parent. This is why her mother pays for everything. She is out every day, all day and to be honest I'm getting really sick of it. I do everything by the book, hubby unemployed, really struggling to make ends meet and she is doing this and been doing it for years. Sorry for the rant but I'm having a bad day lol x

I know of a few people who lie about how long they have been in this business. Just ignore it.
If she is claiming benefits then you can always report her and let them sort it out.

You say she has been at this for years...how many years would that be?

I think she meant, how any years has she been wrongfully claiming.
x

I meant that you said you are really struggling to make ends meet and she has been doing 'this' for years - I assume you meant lying about how much experience she has. How many years has she been lying about her experience ;)

She is a hairdresser by trade. 14yrs but her yell ad says 12 her fb says 14. I do know she attended college (evenings) 3 or 4 yrs ago but that was only for a few weeks. It may just have been an introductory beauty course. She hasn't got a certificate in hairdressing as a guy who owned the salon trained her. As for her benefits she has been receiving these for at least 5 yrs. last year her partner said they were thinking about buying their house. Well they will be able to afford this as they haven't spent any money on rent etc. and now she is going to be doing treatments from her house as she's adapted a room. In scotland it's against the law to trade from a council property and knock down walls which she has done also

She is a hairdresser by trade. 14yrs but her yell ad says 12 her fb says 14. I do know she attended college (evenings) 3 or 4 yrs ago but that was only for a few weeks. It may just have been an introductory beauty course. She hasn't got a certificate in hairdressing as a guy who owned the salon trained her. As for her benefits she has been receiving these for at least 5 yrs. last year her partner said they were thinking about buying their house. Well they will be able to afford this as they haven't spent any money on rent etc. and now she is going to be doing treatments from her house as she's adapted a room. In scotland it's against the law to trade from a council property and knock down walls which she has done also

I don't mean to be rude, but lets get to the bottom of it.

Do you think you'd be busier if she was out of business? Is she your only reason that you're struggling?

Do you know all this to be fact?
She could have done a fast track course at college.
She may be on a low income which is why she is claiming benefits.
You can't go round assuming things if you don't know all the facts.
Her yell ad may not have been updated for 2 years.
How do you know she hasn't got any qualification? The guy in the salon may have just trained her to his standard. I'm just wondering what proof you have.

I don't mean to be rude, but lets get to the bottom of it.

Do you think you'd be busier if she was out of business? Is she your only reason that you're struggling?

I didnt say she is the reason I'm struggling. Im struggling as my hubby is unemployed. We are in private accomodation, we get help with our rent but have to pay the rest which is fair enough. Her and her partner are both working, yet according to dwp she is not and is a single parent. What I'm saying is she is claiming benefits she isn't entitled to. I'm saying she is lying about how long she has been qualified for (that's if she is qualified).
All I'm asking is if there's a law regarding anyone advertising years they have been qualified. I don't want anyone attacking me I haven't done anything wrong.
Seems to be everyone who does everything by the book gets punished. Know how to work the system and you'll get away with it. Especially if you have relatives who work for the council

Do you know all this to be fact?
She could have done a fast track course at college.
She may be on a low income which is why she is claiming benefits.
You can't go round assuming things if you don't know all the facts.
Her yell ad may not have been updated for 2 years.
How do you know she hasn't got any qualification? The guy in the salon may have just trained her to his standard. I'm just wondering what proof you have.

I do know this to be a fact as her mother told me and a few other local people. The yell ad was only 2 months old before she put her fb ad on. She is def not on a low income. Here you have to earn £200 or below before you are entitled to benefits. Her partner will be definitely earning that ad he works 7 days a week. She works 6 days and out most if the day from 10 am till 6 or 7 at night. She has a new car, he is always buying cars doing them up and selling. She knocked down walls in the house as she was going to be doing hairdressing from there (this was before she done beauty) her dad bought her a hairdressing sink etc. up here there is modules at college eg wax course which would cover all areas, She only does brow wax/tint and lash tint. You can't do just this at college.

Can I just say...viewing this I would think your user may be similar to your business name, also on every post your full name is visible and where in Scotland you are.
If this girl is in our Industry for however many years it may be, she could just be aware of this site and have a lurk once in a while ;)
She would suss out who you are in an instant !

Please be aware of this when posting.

In all the years I have been in this Industry, a genuine 14 years, I have ever cared what other people are doing but just concentrated on my business and what is new and exciting and can help me build my business.
It works for me ;)

Your worrying far too much about other people and their business. don't worry about them and concentrate on your own.

Hi skindeep72, you can indeed to a single course in eye enhancements at college, as I shall be attending a refresher course at college on this particular subject next month. If you are bothered about her claiming benefits and you think she is not entitled to, then why not report her? Yes it's unfair that people do this, but it's other peoples apathy that allows them to get away with it. x

Latest posts

Back