Yell .com CON Beware

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a very pushy Yell salesman on the phone on Friday (yes, when you are busy!) He phoned me back later (when I was at home) I listened to his sales pitch about tracking and monitoring how well my ad was doing, but although I am signed up for this tracking, I still cannot see it on my account. This is supposed to illustrate to me how well my ad is performing.
Anyway told the guy I didn't want to spend any more with Yell and I am going to reduce advertising next year as other methods are cheaper and Far more effective and he told me " Personally I think you are mad!" How many customers would I have if I spoke to them like that?!
I did say that I had been in business for 20 years and with all due respect he hadn't, but he was having none of it! So there you go ~ I'm mad!

Hi All,
Recent news on this, eventually did see a business manager........took 12 days.
He said he will request the funds back from Yell.com, BUT they can re request them.
He also said that they did not have to see a Direct Debit mandate for them to allow funds out of your account. As you know I have not signed a new one.
So all be very careful, dierect debit details can be taken over the phone, and then you can be stuck with a company taking money as and when they wish.
Always go with a standing order, YOU are in charge of that.
Not all companies are like this, I am quite happy to DD with my mortage etc.
But never again for anything like advertising.
We received a letter this morning from my bank, in the envelope was nothing from the bank, it contained a Yell.com statement for advertising in Yellow pages for my husband's business, but with my business name on the top....with the banks address.
This is a company who is supposed to be advertising my hubby's business ???? Wrong business name, totally wrong address ???
But the best of it ...YES they think they are taking the money out of my account later this month!!! WRONG closing the account, just spoke to my accountants, they said you can close it - it is your account.
It is not my beauty account this is my Chocolate Fountain business.
Thank you to those who gave me banking terminology, I printed your replies and used them in the bank when speaking to the manager. He agreed with all that you had written and said all my advice was correct.
Lotsa luv xx :hug: :hug: :hug: xx

I am stunned that your bank manager can't guarantee you that they won't stop them taking any further paymenets without your consent!:eek: Utterly amazed. I think they (Both the bank & yell) have left you with no other option that to take your business away from them.

I would also be inclined to complain to the banking ombudsman about it too.

Hi All,
Well I got the money back yesterday that Yell.com took without my permission, and the Bank refunded the £30 for me being over drawn, which would not of happened if they had not paid Yell.com. :mad:
So when temporary business manager called to say funds were back in my account, I hot footed down to the bank, got a mini statement, yes all there, and swiftly drew it all out. :lol:
Then went to main reception to close my account, my usual business manager has been on sick leave, if she had been in none of this would of happened. I spoke with her today, she said she will have the sign off papers for me in the bank monday to fully close the account.
She has also promised to check hubby's account every day for a month to check they don't try anything with his account.
So now money safely away in envelope in my safe, as accountants will want to see end of business funds, so if I need to pay anything out I know it is there waiting.
Hope this is the end of it. :eek:
Thanks for all the brill advice you all gave me.
Lotsa luv x x x :hug: :hug: :hug: x x x

I have to say, I've never heard such a load of old cods wollop from a bank in my life:eek:
Not only does the amount have to be authorized but the date also and as already stated 10 days ahead of time and the only lee way in that is if they put, on or near ... date. Your temp bank manager was being completely lazy.
When you go into a bank and cancel a dd the bank then tells who ever the dd was with that it has been canceled and will not be honored. To say they just need to alter the details slightly is like saying well they only added a 0 to the cheque amount, its fraud!!!
Years ago it used to be down to the customer to close a dd at both ends but this is no longer the case.
Sadly pay at point is not covered by this. It is against the law for anyone to keep your credit or debit card details on file but there is not actually a penalty for doing so and the only way to stop someone from taking funds from your account via a card is to cancel the card.
I am so glad you got your money back, but in your shoes I would defiantly be reporting this temp managers lack of action to the highest levels of his bank.

Latest posts

Back