Yep another new beginner!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sugarglo

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Im totally new to this site and totally new to the industry. Just trained with tantrick for spray tanning (Gemma was my trainer and she was brilliant)!! She doesnt mind me txtin her or ringing with stupid questions! lol. Im really really nervous about starting as ive only sprayed 2 people!!!
I wanted to ask any of you, how long after you did you're training did you pluck up the courage to get out there and spray youre 1st paying customer? I feel like I need to practice loads b4 I dare try... Also any hints and tips would be very much appreciated. This site is amazing by the way and I feel like Ive learned sooo much just from reading all of youre posts.

Thankyou
Angie :)

Hi chick, sorry I cant help you with any of your questions, just wanted to welcome you to the site, have fun. Im sure someone will be along soon to answer you ..xxx

Hello and welcome to the site :)

Sorry I havent done spray tanning yet, will do it when I go back to college in September.

I suppose its like everything else get in plenty of practice first on family and friends and once you are confident you can do paying clients

Hello and welcome,
I sprayed freinds and family until I felt confident that they weren't waking up in the morning looking like zebras or patchwork quilts!:lol: Then I advertised at a discount. Say half price for the first 10 paying clients or for a set period of time. Explain to your paying clients that you've not been in the industry long (hence the discount) and to contact you first thing if they are not happy with anything (respray as necisary). It does mean you won't make any profit to begin with, but you will be building a good solid client base, with people who will be happy to recommend you.
The other thing is to come across as confident, even if you're shaking like a leaf! When you are practising on freinds/family, treat them as if they were a paying client and go through everything with them before and after the tan, this will help build your confidence and hopefully they will give you some feedback.
Hope that helps
k

Hey everyone,
Im totally new to this site and totally new to the industry. Just trained with tantrick for spray tanning (Gemma was my trainer and she was brilliant)!! She doesnt mind me txtin her or ringing with stupid questions! lol. Im really really nervous about starting as ive only sprayed 2 people!!!
I wanted to ask any of you, how long after you did you're training did you pluck up the courage to get out there and spray youre 1st paying customer? I feel like I need to practice loads b4 I dare try... Also any hints and tips would be very much appreciated. This site is amazing by the way and I feel like Ive learned sooo much just from reading all of youre posts.

Thankyou

Hi Angie,

I am new to this site. But I have been tanning now for two and half years and trained with spray tan cubicle who I cannot fault. I sprayed loads of people. I would honestly say about thirty before I asked for any money. Always make sure you spray how you were trained stick with the solution that you trained with if you are happy with it. It is great to hear that you trainer is there for you. I sprayed loyal friends and would always ask for feedback through the two week period, fade off, colour and eveness etc and if they would have paid for it. You will find that clients are all different, small, big, big boobs, bigger legs, nothing is the same. Different skin tone and colour. Also alot of the this is how the client prepares thier body for a tan, always re-iterate to the client prep is everything. Keep practising, and then start advertising maybe in a local school for the mums and offer a reduced rate to start with, but don't forget you were tained and you know how to do it, be confident and knock em dead.

Dawn x

Welcome to the site Angie... (loving the name... Sugarglo)

I think i done about 10 tans for a reduced price on family and friends just to cover my costs and to get my skills and speed up before it went loose on the paying public.

but see if you can get a few to come on Thurs as you might just only need them few to get your conference up, as you picked up the skill very quickly, you done fab on your training day!!

xx

Hi Angie,
welcome to geek from another Durham-geek.

I wouldnt tell your clients that you are new to the biz, you are inviting them to pick holes in every treatment you do, and will not take you seriously even after a year of spraying them

Get 10 friends/family and spray-spray-spray!

then put on a special offer for a month, and then hopefully you will be competant.

I think you are acting very responsiblily by recognising that you need practise, so start ringing friends and family up now, get your diary out and start getting a few in at the same time and same venue so you are not constantly setting up and clearing up.

good luck, and ask Gemma for support, she's a wonderful trainer and will look after you.

Hi hun, I did my training with Gemma not so long ago aswell and can't fault her-a proper canny lass as we'd say lol! I, like you was really nervous and so worried incase I spoiled anyones tan but I did my models on the day who turned out gorgeous and also managed to rope my granny into a free tan ha ha the poor thing but she looked so much healthier with a bit colour and was well pleased!
Maybe people might say I should have done a few more but as soon as I knew the few Id done were all fine I thought 'right,just do it!' and did my first clients at half price-a tan party-four ladies, different solutions etc and was fine.
I decided that as long as I came across as confident then they would have confidence in me. They all turned out fine and said they'd recommend me to their friends and family. Dying to do another one now!
Hope it takes off for you hun and go for it! xx :)

Hey everyone,

Thankyou

Thanks everyone!!!
I really appreciate all of youre support n words of wisdom, its helped alot
:hug: xxx

Hi hun, I did my training with Gemma not so long ago aswell and can't fault her-a proper canny lass as we'd say lol! I, like you was really nervous and so worried incase I spoiled anyones tan but I did my models on the day who turned out gorgeous and also managed to rope my granny into a free tan ha ha the poor thing but she looked so much healthier with a bit colour and was well pleased!
Maybe people might say I should have done a few more but as soon as I knew the few Id done were all fine I thought 'right,just do it!' and did my first clients at half price-a tan party-four ladies, different solutions etc and was fine.
I decided that as long as I came across as confident then they would have confidence in me. They all turned out fine and said they'd recommend me to their friends and family. Dying to do another one now!
Hope it takes off for you hun and go for it! xx :)

Let us know how things go for you hun... you'll be fine xx

I will hun, thanks for that. I'll be askin plenty of questions in the next few months a reckon, lol. Love this site man!!!!
:) xxx

i did 6 freebies and asked for feedback, and actually saw each one after their shower
after that i went for it!!!

good luck you will be fine xxx

Organise a spray tan party at your home or salon and invite all your friends, give them all there prep advise and spray each one at your party,
after this you will feel much more confident as you will have done one after the other and with each one you spray your technique will improve and your confidence will grow,
good luck, have loads of fun and get the confidence to go out there and earn some money,
Gemma will always look after you, she is a great girl :hug:

Thanks for all the advice. Top girls!!! Im hoping to spray some more victims on thurs lol!! Im just not confident with my technique cos no matter how much I try to remember my training and I look at my quick guide card I cant remember where I'm meant to go next??? Lol!! Also if Im spraying too close or too far away! I suppose its like what everyone says its practice, practice and more practice! Yikes! Am I the most nervous person or what!!
xxxxx

once you do it a few times in sucession, it becomes like anything, a routine
once youve got your routine you cant go wrong
you will be fine mate xx
keep us updated xx

Thanks for all the advice. Top girls!!! Im hoping to spray some more victims on thurs lol!! Im just not confident with my technique cos no matter how much I try to remember my training and I look at my quick guide card I cant remember where I'm meant to go next??? Lol!! Also if Im spraying too close or too far away! I suppose its like what everyone says its practice, practice and more practice! Yikes! Am I the most nervous person or what!!
xxxxx
As a guide for the distance, you need to be about a hands span distance away, if at this distance it looks like too much solution is going onto the skin you need to move the gun quicker so that you can see the colour guide going on nicely without any drips or beading on the skin,
so at that distance you can move your gun quicker or turn down the amount of solution you have coming through the gun,
hth and makes sense :lol:
how about writing your technique down step by step in your own words so that you will know exactly where to spray next :hug:

Thanx alot, I will!!
xxx

Latest posts

Back