Your college experience

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockateer

Reaction score
Hi geekies..
So as some of yee know I am in the middle of doing my teacher training course for Beauty/Aesthetics, have been getting good feedback so far etc but as we get further and further in it gets harder...

My question is: what was the best thing yee liked as an adult, learning from another adult while in college? What did you find most beneficial?

Similarly what did you like the least? Were some of the tutors condescending etc?

I personally had one particular tutor who to this day, I still admire..
s
he was informative, strict yet fair, patient and excellent at explaining issues, she had a keen eye so caught all the tiny details that an examiner may twig, very organised so had the class fine tuned etc,you generally just admired her-clearly I did!

My biggest flaw is i talk too fast-in normal life, always have done, went to speech and drama for years as a child ....so when teaching this is clearly a problem :(
I am due to start teacher training in a Further education College in the next few weeks and am TERRIFIED!!!!

Please give me any advice !!!

Oh hun you will be fine you are clearly over panicing. I am a lecturer in higher education my motto is teach them what they need to know ONLY (key facts), keep it to detail ie bullets of main facts i find this is easy to follow with the use of power point. If you feel you are talking too fast take in the reins have a laugh tell your learners if it is going over their heads to tell you it will only improve your teaching skills in the long run. Ensure at the end you evaluate how much knowledge has been swallowed up.

Finally take a deep breath chick everyone has to start somewhere. If i can help you with anything else i will do. If you wanna come and shadow or anything you are welcolme.

Good luck - let me know how u get on x:)

Shell b you are star thanks , shadowing sounds great, may take ye up on it some day, too far away at the minute, may pick yer brain in the future though, thanks,x

Hi - good luck!
From my years of teaching experience (not in beauty) I would say be aware that there are different styles of learning, eg some people learn better by doing, others by listening, others with visual aids etc. (google for more info) Utilise all methods of teaching; most people respond to a mix.
Also students can learn by teaching. Sounds off the wall but it actually works! Eg you could set a task where each learner has to present a key issue in Health and Safety to the rest of the group.
Enjoy the journey! x

Hi

I trained in Beauty much later in life than most, so being a er hem "mature student" I probably learnt a different way to most of the lovely young things on my course, but one particular tutor stood out to me, not because she was my favourite because she actually wasnt but her method of teaching the A & P just sooo worked for me.

For example ( if I can remember this correctly!!) when we were learning about the heart, she brought those bags of long liquorice sweets and these were the aorta etc. she described the ways the valves works as swinging doors that swing one way, the doors open, blood flows through then the doors shut so it can't flow back (she would actually run across the room throwing herself at the door !!)

She got the points across but made it fun and kept our interest. The 7 main hormones in the body were remembered as GOATFLAP!!! odd but it worked!!

Hope I've made sense, and maybe this is the way every tutor is taught to teach but in my Level 2, we had an A & P tutor that droned on for the 3 hours lesson and just made you want to fall asleep.

As I said, each person learns differently but this definately worked for me.

H xx

"She got the points across but made it fun and kept our interest. The 7 main hormones in the body were remembered as GOATFLAP!!! odd but it worked!!"

Going to remember this when I come to this area in my A&P course!! I learn better when I have something to assosiate it with, I tend to rememner it easier, this is simailr to the hair growth cycle where I remembered the word ACT - anagen catagen and telogen

x

I would say the biggest thing was to listen x x
i hated it when my tutor used to ignore any questions or advice we asked her
Good luck hun
x

This is all great thanks guys
:fairysprinkles, I understand what you mean Id rather be told they do not know the answer or it isnt needed on the syllabus BUT....
Thanks for that

Heatherp- Hahah that made me laugh- the visual of her throwing herself at a door, but definitley can see how it will stick in the mind, the liqourice, also great...why was she not your favourite, jesus what did yer fav teacher do???????!!!

Dandelionpoppy, thanks for that, i suppose the above example is definitley a visual learner, kinesthetic etc so will have to keep that in mond as Im afraid ill tend to teach how I best learnwhich obvioul is not everyone, is only ALL my students culd have photographic memories id be laughin, maybe that could be a pre-requistie to my courses ! haha

Hi again all
I am in the middle of training to become a teacher trainer within the beauty industry and need insurance
Unfortunately not many places will cover trainees,you need to be qualified

I am working ina clinic environment and do not need to purchase my own insurance(they advised just buying y own insurance policy..) as this is paid by my empolyer, so paying 800euro for 50 hours observation is madness, however I cannot complete the course without the observations...grrrr
Has anyone any ideas at all please???

Latest posts

Back