Sharpie & Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Help!

I did these yesterday, second ever set of Gelish and I was quite proud of them. Until I went for a shower and wherever the marker was, the Gelish started bubbling! I thought maybe I didn't cure it properly, so I redid some bits. But later when I did the washing up the same happened!
What did I do wrong? I used the Pilot Gold Marker.
Thanks in advance for the help :)

Attachments

• P1010809.jpg
    P1010809.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,235
  • IMAG0822.jpg
    IMAG0822.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,265
Help!

I did these yesterday, second ever set of Gelish and I was quite proud of them. Until I went for a shower and wherever the marker was, the Gelish started bubbling! I thought maybe I didn't cure it properly, so I redid some bits. But later when I did the washing up the same happened!

Done my friend last night overly onyx and silver sharpie tip....she's just texted to say it's not worked gutted :evil:

Help!

It could be that you've taken the colour to the free edge of the nail and it hasn't sealed properly. This is the same with acrylic paints, it'll bubble if you paint it on the edge of the nail so it's best to only use the sharpie for small delicate designs. Hope that made sense :) xx

I think the pens must only be used for small detailing only. Larger designs you should probably do with acrylic paint or nail art pens, the surface area was perhaps too large hence the reaction with the polish

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Thanks for replies....after seeing my friends nails today to sort out I came to the same conclusion fine detail not for French tips :cool:

Done my friend last night overly onyx and silver sharpie tip....she's just texted to say it's not worked gutted :evil:

I used silver sharpie to do fairly thick stripes on my shellac and have had them on two weeks with no problems. On one hand I used the marker over the colour coat before top coating and on the other hand I topcoated, buffed, used sharpie then top coated again and both have been fine - I found it easier over the colour coat though.

x

It could be that you've taken the colour to the free edge of the nail and it hasn't sealed properly. This is the same with acrylic paints, it'll bubble if you paint it on the edge of the nail so it's best to only use the sharpie for small delicate designs. Hope that made sense :) xx

Totally agree
Your Design was to thick and on free edge. Try a detail work like a swirls, stripes, flowers insted of full block of color. x

I'm definitely going to try these!! I bought the Models Own nail art pens last week and thought they were fab as they're so fine to do small details with, but they take a while to dry :-( xx

I'm definitely going to try these!! I bought the Models Own nail art pens last week and thought they were fab as they're so fine to do small details with, but they take a while to dry :-( xx

Where did you buy these from if you don't mind me asking? X

Seen this photo & it reminded me of this thread haha!

Ooh Crap! That freaked me out for a minute when I looked at that then:Scared:

Where did you buy these from if you don't mind me asking? X

Boots :) They had an offer on, 2 for £9. You can use it like a pen, or unscrew it and use it like a striper brush xx

Totally agree
Your Design was to thick and on free edge. Try a detail work like a swirls, stripes, flowers insted of full block of color. x

It also happened with bits in the middle of the nail and with stripes rather than big blocks of color.
I think I will try again next time, maybe let the pen dry a bit longer. Or else nail art pens it will be!
Thanks guys :)

Now this is something I have to try! Because my CND additives, eyeshadow palettes (2 x 60), 50+ glitters, 20 foils, konad plates are not freakin ENOUGH! Now I gotta get sharpies! Lol

I am seriously ill ' :)

We should start a 12 step program for nail geeks

I've been having a little play with sharpies!! I brought ultra fine ones & found they are too fine & don't give enough colour. My black fine pen I already had was perfect tho! Think I try & apply TIO too soon as a couple smudged so need to leave to dry longer me thinks.
Here's my couple of practises anyway, be kind lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 1,146
Now this is something I have to try! Because my CND additives, eyeshadow palettes (2 x 60), 50+ glitters, 20 foils, konad plates are not freakin ENOUGH! Now I gotta get sharpies! Lol

I am seriously ill ' :)

Hey iv just done my nail tech and cnd course how do u incorporate eyeshadow into them please I'd love to know :)

Hey iv just done my nail tech and cnd course how do u incorporate eyeshadow into them please I'd love to know :)

I use a sponge to apply it over a sticky layer of gel polish. You do get a nice skin snake or stone efect if you do apply no cleanse top seal before that.

I use a round eyeshadow brush and dab/scrub into the tacky layer. The same as the additives.

I'm looking at the raft store and they have oil based pens and water based pens. Anyone know which to buy?

Oil based ones I think (they the ones I got anyway!)

Latest posts

Back