Sharpie & Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am itching to order some of these and just want to make sure I get the right ones (to put with the rest of the pile of nail art stuff I never use :lol:)

Hehehe...me too xx:lol:

Hi Geeks, I just bought a set of 12 sharpies from Ryman, half price £4.99:lol: bargain.

Do people use the coloured ones much? I have black and was thinking about gold and silver but not sure about colours?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Do people use the coloured ones much? I have black and was thinking about gold and silver but not sure about colours?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I enjoy the paint pens so much. All of the metallics are gorgeous. Just b sure to not leave the tops open even for a second and buy water based not oil based colors. ::hug::

I enjoy the paint pens so much. All of the metallics are gorgeous. Just b sure to not leave the tops open even for a second and buy water based not oil based colors. ::hug::

Ahha! Water based? There has been some conflicting advice on here about water v oil based, so thank you for clarifying! I noticed a CND demo on sharpie design, where the manicure was competed and the design put over cured, wiped top coat, but if you did this, wouldn't you need to use oil based? Would water based wash off? X

Ahha! Water based? There has been some conflicting advice on here about water v oil based, so thank you for clarifying! I noticed a CND demo on sharpie design, where the manicure was competed and the design put over cured, wiped top coat, but if you did this, wouldn't you need to use oil based? Would water based wash off? X

I do all my art this way. Just make sure it's completely dry then top coat again...voilà :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I do all my art this way. Just make sure it's completely dry then top coat again...voilà :)

Thanks Planky. The thing is, the example on the CND blog (further up this thread) doesn't mention doing another top coat. I usually do a second top coat over my nail art, but this example confused me? :-/

Thanks Planky. The thing is, the example on the CND blog (further up this thread) doesn't mention doing another top coat. I usually do a second top coat over my nail art, but this example confused me? :-/

I haven't looked at it but any artwork we do whether it be stamping, acrylic paint or pens, it will always need sealing in with a top coat. Perhaps they just assume techs will know to do that so didn't show it. Will take a look ;)

I haven't looked at it but any artwork we do whether it be stamping, acrylic paint or pens, it will always need sealing in with a top coat. Perhaps they just assume techs will know to do that so didn't show it. Will take a look ;)

Yes maybe. Just that the explanation was very clear, and yet this final stage was missed out. Let me know what you think when you see it! Have you had much call for sharpie art? X

Yes maybe. Just that the explanation was very clear, and yet this final stage was missed out. Let me know what you think when you see it! Have you had much call for sharpie art? X

Having watched the video the nails were pre-designed prior to the show then applied to the models nails before they went on stage. So is probably why they weren't top coated again because it was just for the show.

But for clients we want to set the design in so that it has longevity, so in order for it to stay on the nail it needs to be sealed in with a top coat and water based products are mostly non toxic which is what we want to be using.

I've used sharpies a few times but I mainly use acrylic paint and a very fine detail brush. Sharpies are good for quick and very detailed designs you might be adding that perhaps can't be achieved using paints or polish. I had a client who wanted cats on her nails and the sharpie was perfect for the tiny face detail that I just couldn't do with a brush because it was too small. I wouldn't do a design and use a sharpie for a vast area as this can cause problems with the Shellac bubbling/peeling.

Hope that helps :)

Oh my gosh! What a fab thread! Off I go on amazon in search of my new best friends- Sharpies :)

Hi

I am a complete newbie but have been following this thread and went out today to buy myself some Sharpies. I bought a pack today of the fine tip ones from Rymans but after trying them on my EzFlow TruGel I found they smudged when I put the top coat on...any advice? Also I found that the nibs weren't fine enough to do detailed work as I had hoped. I'm now totally confused and not sure whether I should give up on this idea or get some ultra fine ones or what?! Help please!!

Also I would like to get a white pen can someone recommend the best one to get?

xx

Hi

I am a complete newbie but have been following this thread and went out today to buy myself some Sharpies. I bought a pack today of the fine tip ones from Rymans but after trying them on my EzFlow TruGel I found they smudged when I put the top coat on...any advice? Also I found that the nibs weren't fine enough to do detailed work as I had hoped. I'm now totally confused and not sure whether I should give up on this idea or get some ultra fine ones or what?! Help please!!

xx

Mine smudged to. You have to wait quite a while for the marker to dry and then top coat. Float your top coat so it doesn't drag.

Can't remember what mine are called don't think they are ultra fine but I can manage small detail with mine takes a bit of practice! X

Hi

xx

I had trouble finding a white sharpie so I bought a white art pen at an art supply store.

Latest posts

Back