The SEO Help Thread

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, latest "Penguin" update has caused many people's rankings to nose dive.

Looking at your site Lisa, I can see you that the page titles and the bottom of the page is keyword stuffed. Unfortunately this doesn't work anymore, and you will get heavily penalised by the search engines for implementing this dated tactic.

Get rid of the keywords, rewrite your page titles so they are no more than 70 characters and read well (you can still include your most relevant keywords.

Great to hear you are seeing improvements Lovebeauty14.
Thankyou!
It must have worked in my favour...
I've also improved content words and outside links. :)

Yup, latest "Penguin" update has caused many people's rankings to nose dive.

Looking at your site Lisa, I can see you that the page titles and the bottom of the page is keyword stuffed. Unfortunately this doesn't work anymore, and you will get heavily penalised by the search engines for implementing this dated tactic.

Get rid of the keywords, rewrite your page titles so they are no more than 70 characters and read well (you can still include your most relevant keywords.

Great to hear you are seeing improvements Lovebeauty14.
Hi SEO - thank you for your post I really appreciate you taking a look at my site. I have changed my titles so they all read better and do not contain as much information. If I remove the areas that I cover at the bottom of my page how is the best way to come up on local searches e.g. hornchurch wedding hair and makeup (without doing google ads)?

Also, do you know once all the correct changes have been made to my site (which I'm hoping is done, as have taken off lots of links and deleted some links into my site, plus changing titles etc) how long it takes for google to recognise and stop keeping my site off searches? I have had a reply from google to say that I do not need to submit my site as a reconsideration. I have also done the fetch as googlebot thing if that helps!?!

Thanks again

Hello

Since reading your thread when it was first posted we have been working HARD on SEO!! Still not there yet though? Even with the vistaprint seo tool which I'm starting to think is a money making racket? If you have time could you offer any advice? Thank you so much

www.kennairaesthetics.co.uk

I just wanted to say thank you SEO for all the wonderful information in this thread. I've changed my titles and listed myself on some directories and have moved up 2 pages. Still got a while till I get to page 1 though lol

Thanks for helping Eyelash extensions, waxing & nails in Brighton | Lash N Load :biggrin:

Hi - another suggestion i have been given is to change my links to nofollow - do you agree? Thanks again

This has helped me so much already!
Can you have a look to see if I'm on the right tracks though?
www.bellebeautyfife.co.uk
Thank you!

I am in the process of building my free website with Weebly. So far I have done a Home page and a page for Shellac, but am planning on a page per treatment.

I have read this thread from start to finish and am still confused by what I should be doing. I have read the links you have posted SEO and still don't understand which phrase links to which bit on my website, titles, meta things etc. Sorry to sound thick, but the more I don't get it, the more anxiety prevents me to understand.

I have even looked at all the websites posted on here that have been changed according to your advice and I don't see any locations being added into titles.

Is it possible to link what I have done so far on my unpublished page and send it via PM to you please?

Edit...Or, can someone post a link that shows a website that is fully optimised, as an example to follow on each page etc and explain why it is correct?
I'm slowly going out of my mind.

Hi

I have done some work to my website recently and changing the page titles has really helped.

I have a question though about individual pages. I have a page for bio sculpture gel nails. When I type this in for Burton on Trent I get a good page position, but the link is to my home page not the actual gel nail page.

Can this be changed? or improved?

My website is Topaz Nails and Beauty - Home - Beauty Salon in Burton

Thanks for any help that anyone can offer.
Claire x

I have a question though about individual pages. I have a page for bio sculpture gel nails. When I type this in for Burton on Trent I get a good page position, but the link is to my home page not the actual gel nail page.

Hi Claire

When did you change the page, google has not indexed it since the 8th September, if you have changed the page after this then your position will not change for that page.

If you have changed it before this date then google finds your home page more relevant for the search, and if you are wondering why then looking at the page you are close to keyword stuffing "Bio Sculpture Gel"

ie
In your meta Description you have
Bio Sculpture Gel Natural Nail Overlays Bio Sculpture Gel so in the first 9 words you have written your "long tail keywords" twice, not a good start

Both your Page Title and h1 tag have "Bio Sculpture Gel"
Then two links on that page "Bio Sculpture Gel"

Your opening sentence is "Bio Sculpture Gel" then you go on to mention Bio Sculpture Gel 3 more times.

You are not writing naturally, you are writing for the search engine and google will spot this.

You may get lucky if google has not yet indexed the page, but if your home page still outranks then you need to cut back on some "Bio Sculpture Gel"

Hi Jack Shaw,

Thanks for that. I actually have the same problem for most of my pages with the exception of the home page.

I thought that the content needs to include the key words or phrases. But it looks like I have gone into over kill. So do I just need to re write the pages using these phrases less? How long will it take for google to check back again?

I do not have to submit each page separately do I?

Thanks
Claire
x

I thought that the content needs to include the key words or phrases.

Not really no, look at all your pages like a newspaper article, so you have a page title, a headline, an article, when you read any article do you keep seeing "the same words", we know what the article is about by the headline so tell me about the pro's, con's, price, etc etc dont keep repeating it, it isnt natural writing nor is it natural reading. Lets say I did an article tomorrow about a "Holiday in Barbados"

If I wrote
Headline "Come to Barbados for a Holiday"

Article:- Next time you book a holiday why not book a holiday in Barbados the weather is great in Barbados and we have sandy beaches and Barbados is probably the best place on the planet, so dont delay book a holiday in Barbados today.

Looks crap dont you think, I know its extreme but you get the idea

If I wrote

Headline "Barbados a life time of memories"

With white sandy beaches, clear calm waters and a relaxing atmosphere, you will be able to enjoy watching the sun set with the most beautiful red skys, whilst enjoying a refreshing white rum, you will have no doubt that there is no other place to be on earth.

For a chance to visit this tranquil island then "click here"
Or For a chance to visit Barbados then "click here"

Never mentioned "Holiday in Barbados" once, but we all got it from the headline and sold it with all the niceness around it
(Not a holiday writer but you get the idea)

But it looks like I have gone into over kill. So do I just need to re write the pages using these phrases less?

Dont worry its the biggest mistake most people make

How long will it take for google to check back again?
How long is a piece of string, give it 10-14 days, keep checking google cache to see when the bot last visited

I do not have to submit each page separately do I?

No the bot will be back.

Thanks again for the advice, will get back to writing copy for my pages tomorrow.

This maybe a stupid question but how do I check the google cache?

Claire

This maybe a stupid question but how do I check the google cache?

Claire

Write the page your optimising in the google search box, the page should come up no1 then float your mouse over the right of the description a little arrow should pop up, click on the "cached" link, you will get all the details there, if you are struggling give us an address of the page and I will check for you.

Ok! So that has opened a whole can of worms! The only page showing a Cache date seems to be the home page. The others show a snapshot, but some are really old from before I changed the page design and content several months ago. Not sure what to do about that.

I know that I need to do some work on the key words as a priority though, thanks again Jack Shaw :D

Maybe you could have another look at my site when I have made some changes tomorrow, when you are not busy of course.

Thanks x

Maybe you could have another look at my site when I have made some changes tomorrow, when you are not busy of course.

Whats the address, I am up for a bit yet

Sorry I have found some dates for other pages, but the screen shots show really old pictures. These look at bit strange!

Website is Topaz Nails and Beauty - Home - Beauty Salon in Burton

Any help you can offer is great! People on here are so helpful!

Right OK

I do not know how much free run that Mr site gives you with your meta tags, and before anyone jumps on my back Google takes note of your geo tag but does not ignore it, so if you can add meta tags add this to start

<meta name="geo.region" content="GB" />
<meta name="geo.position" content="52.807792; -1.647135" />
<meta name="ICBM" content="52.807792; -1.647135" />

This Longitude and Latitude pin point you to BOT

You have mentioned "Burton" far to many times, remove this, again Page Title, Address, Geo Target, will sort out where you are, if you have a google places account with a web address then google can confirm you have the Geo Targeting correct so will use it, to a degree, it wont harm you.

Your text is to small and to grey, "Accessibility issues, google fully understands the hex code of colours due to people trying to hide keywords, make it clearer. Black bigger text on white

Yep you are trying to hard with keywords, let it flow naturally.

Laymans terms

Do you like being patronised, well you are patronising google and it doesnt like it.

Like I have mentioned in a few posts google do around 400 checks of your website to the users search query, 200 are for relevancy, you have to remember that it is a computer program and all computer program's can answer at the end of the day is one of two words "Yes" or "No"

So all the 400 checks it does do is Yes or No answers, so googlebot question No 179 "Is the "Keyword/s" mentioned too many times" - "Yes" this site is either spamming or making the website for me the googlebot not the reader, drop that one a few places. If that makes sense

Now for the harsh parts of your site

You blog its not up to date, pointless and will not help, you dont need a blog for a local salon, time consuming pointless exercise

Online Booking, Goes to a login page, clicked straight off it

Links. Again no point

Contact: Got an error message, which is googles not your own 404 page

Share, Have a link to your facebook business page not a share button, have a share button for products, unique content, tutorials, advice, not a website.

Contact number, A mobile number, you have a salon, search the net for 0844 or 0845 numbers diverted to your mobile or land line, if you get the right company then you make money off people calling you on a 0844/0845 looks much more professional than a 07 number

Gallery: Image 1 Shabby Chic feel to the salon if this is the look you like reflect it in the website so customers see a connection.

And my fav, Calls to action you have none on your home page, you need to draw me in as a viewer and spit me out as a customer.

Hope this helps and sorry if I have offended you, it wasn't intended, just hope it gives you some pointers.

Thanks and you have not offended me at all. Mr site is actually quite flexible, but I am still finding my way around it. I am sure that I can do what you have suggested but it may take me a little while.

Do you mind if I message you when I have made some changes to see what you think?

Do you think that the style of the website is wrong for the style of the salon? Is it too modern? Not sure what else I could do to make it more in keeping.

The phone number I know is a problem, but I currently only work at the salon part time, and have another job so mobile gives me flexibility, but I will look into the points you have suggested.

The text colour is something I have been trying out, have tried various other colours. Thought black might look too harsh and bold but I will give it a go.

Thanks again, for using your spare time checking for me!

Claire
x:)

Latest posts

Back