1 day courses-do they annoy therapists?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well apparently you don't even need to complete the course you're doing

...."have you any qualifications."

..."I didnt complete the course , but I know how to do it"

...;)

Right, so!

I don't really care what other people do. I don't feel threatened by the 'one-day-therapists' as they might have a certificate but they don't have the 8 years experience that I do :biggrin:

If their training is rubbish, they won't succeed.

Yes one day courses upset me a lot.
I agree it's a balance of passion of the individual and her natural skills however the longer or full courses do cover a lot of info and science behind the actual technics or sequence.

For ex a lot of chain salons offer in house training I think this is to boost the implementation of previously disadvantaged individuals so I think that's great. Except I have had facials by these salons and their therapists who are really sweet and give a lovely form massage are in the end un able to give me long term or in depth answer for any my questions they have been taught certain answers and to sell dermalogica (sorry to salons who love them but I don't) and basically I leave un happy.

But then go to a therapist who is or has done 3 year dip and she is able to explain why my skin is doing this that and next and asks correct questions to find out the cause and also advise and products that work. Able to also give me a quick or details explanation to how ur skin works etc...

When I go to health hydro and chain spas you can tell immediately someone who is knowledgable and it shows.

I had so many compliments from guests at hotel I work from who say wow how do you know this or that no one else has ever explained this wow id that possible!! Yes it is!

Beauty at your finger tips!

Companies make a lot of money from one day and short courses, plus of course they get a captive audience for product sales as the people who do these courses don't have enough knowledge, or the required qualifications to shop for supplies elsewhere.

Probably not a nice thing to read if you're on the 'one day courses are enough' side of the fence.
My opinion? They don't even realise they're getting fleeced for supplies. Let em all get on with it.

Well known 'reputable' brands offer one day courses in beauty with no pre requisites required.
They may not have the knowledge but they have a mind of their own to choose. Not everyone is underhand about pricing and selling supplies.

Its wholesalers who charge a lot for stuff very often, as people are paying for convenience/ warehousing/staff as well as them making a profit and I KNOW how much profit they make on some items, and many don't offer much help or advise in the product purchased either.

I don't mind one day courses as long as the practice is put in after. Everyone raves on this site about Kim Lawless but her courses are one day ones so I think it's down to the trainers too xx

Jumping on the back of an old thread again (Sorry!) - what about girls/guys doing their one day courses but also doing a&p courses, health and safety etc as well? What about all the practice they put in after? What about people who have successful busineses and happy clients off the back of these short courses? I don't just mean the 'therapists' that pass a 1 day course and charge the public the next day, I mean the ones that actually want to do this but can't do it any other way - they do a course, and practice until they're proficient enough to work on the paying public - surely they have to be given some credit? Especially considering some of the people that come out of the NVQ courses with no knowledge or good skills?

I'm not one of these myself (currently researching ways to get into the industry!), but I am interested to know what the generral consensus is from the people that do this for a living :)

Sorry if I've annoyed/offended! Wasn't intended x

Haha well shoot me down I have come into this industry doing the short courses. I started with studying a&p once I had passed that I did a Swedish body massage course. I chose this route as have always been interested in massage (not so much beauty) and thought it will be a good way to see if it is something I want to do in the future. I had to do coursework before my practical day and 8 case studies after it. I had one to one for 7 hours and took a model with me. I made loads of notes and it was amazing and exhausting. I chose my case studies carefully using different people with different problems. Any questions I had I spoke to my mentor about them.

Sorry I hadn't finished ;-) it took me 6 months to complete it and I will only offer basic Swedish body massage. I practiced on people for months after too. I now want to do the deep tissue massage course and pregnancy massage course. It will take me a lot longer to do all the courses I want to do rather than going to college and learning it in total. But I am interested willing to pay for each course separately and make sure I am the best I can be at each treatment I offer. Although saying all that I do understand why people who have gone to college etc for training do get annoyed. But I just wanted to prove that the 1 day course people do care about what they have learnt and I think most understand that they still have a lot of learning to do xx

I worry about annoying people on here. I learned a lot in college before my health became bad so I done a week intensive class and two, two day courses as well. So I went over stuff I had learned in college days in the two days and then again in the week long nail tech course. I'm always asking questions, watching videos and practising. But I do worry about being seen as lacking! But I do try and put in effor every day to learn! And I would love for a salon to take me on!

That's just my view though lol.

I think a lot of the problem stems from the time factor! Loads of women want to do beauty but for some reason either finances or kids family etc they just can't afford take year off and study.
So short courses are there to fill the void or gap.

However it is upto that newbie to make it her goal to improve her own knowledge and skills. Learning doesn't stop one you leave college ... It's on going and this applies to every aspect of our lives!

I employ a nail tech who learnt through private courses (not one day but 10 evenings... Close enough) and a beauty therapist who did two years at college. My nail tech is by far the most confident, passionate and technically proficient.

My beauty therapist came out nervous about waxing having had only one hour of it a fortnight and said she basically just did massage and facials all day as none of the girls wanted to learn.

Fortunately she is very hard working and keen to learn and I have put her on a few courses eg kim lawless, lashes etc but I would never discount someone now who had learnt through private/one day courses.

I did a privately paid course with both NSI and Create. I paid privately for my massage course, though I spent a full year doing Clinical Reflexology. I think you can do short courses, it depends on the individual. I've known some therapists who are absolutely useless after a 2 year college course, and others who are mostly self taught after doing short courses who are excellent. Passing your driving test doesn't make you a good driver or even a safe one. What makes you a good driver is practice and years of experience in the field.

I went to college to do NVQ 2 & NVQ 3 and the people that were training and some of the tutors were ridiculous!

I feared for clients with the standard of some peoples waxing skills in level 2 and level 3 left a LOT to be desired in regards to the teaching ability of some of my tutors.

I don't know why but I can't help but think, at least on short courses the people WANT to be there, they've HAD to pay to be there and so I wonder if that means the tutors may be more focused because they have only a few days to teach something and the therapists have chosen the course and paid for it so automatically pay more attention.

However, at the same time I don't think certain things can be taught in a short space of time. Short nail courses annoy me most because that is something that does need consistent teaching and dedication. That's nothing against people who have done short nail courses and have come away proficient, I just think that some people need more help and these courses can't always provide that, leaving people to think that they're brilliant at it and thus, unleashing poor nails on the world!

Xx

That's the thing about people paying a lot of money for private courses. It's often intensive, cramming work into two weeks every day from 9 til 5. I did that with my nail training. I did something like 60 hours altogether, it cost me a fortune but I came away armed with what I needed and from there carried on my education by research, reading, and instruction videos to gain different techniques. I learned a lot through my own trial and error, my own mistakes, and had my own techniques set up and running that worked for me. I had many clients who'd paid big money in salons and who's disastrous nails I had to remove and replace because of lazy and disgraceful application.

My rule of thumb for short courses would be that if you can't get an accredited certificate that guarantees insurance at the end of it, it's next to useless for you to work with.

Like i say i did a short nail course but i really wish i went with someone like NSI! Alot of people put me off going to college as i know people who went to college and still havent a clue, im currently training through NSI, i been qualified for nearly a year and still havent got the confidence to advertise, i feel useless!! Lol xx

NSI training is thorough and, I felt, very good. I trained with them about 12 years ago. But...it's the practice that is needed. No amount of training can give you that skill or speed or acumen. That comes from self work and practice and making mistakes and learning from them.

My advice to you is do not procrastinate. Get out there and just do it. It used to take me two full hours to do a full set. That didn't bother my clients as much as it bothered me, but I got the work and my diary was full. By the time 12 months had passed I had honed it down to 45 mins with hardly any filing. I also practised extensively on myself. To this day, I can do a full set on both hands no problem. You'd be surprised how many techs cannot do their left hands!

Ok so I did level 2 after leaving school. Hated it, hardly ever there and don't actually know how I passed. Left college went in to travel then finance then back to travel.
A few years ago I was told I wouldn't work again.
Balls to that so I did a load of short courses (some one day) and set up mobile.
I feel confident, run a mobile and home business and I work in a salon as and when needed. The salon owner is an ex nvq assessor and rates my work highly.
I can't really say any of my knowledge comes from my nvq as I forgot it all over 15 years x

Sent from the catphone

I had a convo with a nurse recently who is a client. We discussed A and P, and she told me that none of nurses and doctors she worked with knew all their A and P...despite having trained in it. She said if anyone asked her what a certain group of muscles were, or the smaller bones in the body, she had absolutely no idea. All those years of training and she's forgotten most of it!

I get more annoyed with 2 year courses that 'pass' students who don't know a thing.

I get more annoyed with 2 year courses that 'pass' students who don't know a thing.

I agree. And let's face it, when you've paid over a grand for a course, are they going to fail you?

I agree. And let's face it, when you've paid over a grand for a course, are they going to fail you?

It's all about "next years funding". We all passed. With distinction. Whether you attended or not. Such a farce.

Sorry to bring this up again...I am just browsing through some threads and I found this one interesting. It must be incredibly annoying when people have spent a long time getting their qualifications through the traditional attendance method of college. However, having working in higher and further education I am only too familiar with students being given qualifications who definitely haven't earned them. For example, a student on a one year course who has 20% attendance can still pass level 2 beauty if they have their hand held whilst writing assignments! They will have done bare minimum practical and still walk away with a certificate! This is the pressures of success rates in education and closely linked to funding. Someone who does a one day waxing course may have more competency than that person on the one year programme. I guess what I am saying is that it's is very much an individual thing; qualifications. I much prefer to seek out people via word of mouth.

Yes of the course is accredited by some regulatory board.

My entire school got failed for the year because our make up module marks were 2 %lower
She failed entire class it cost us for year one R58000
Which is about £3000.
We just all re took the exam the next semester but if you being taught by an idiot then it's bad luck ! The itec outside invidulator is impartial. Standard is set end of story.

I agree some students Are useless it comes with loads practice and personal hard work to better yourself. And keep yourself up to date with training trends erc.

Latest posts

Back