1 day courses-do they annoy therapists?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missy106

Reaction score
Im a hairdresser, and lucky you have to do 1-2 year training to qualify. But more and more now there are 1 day beauty courses that people are doing. Does this annoy you beauty therapists who have been to college/apprenticeships etc? I could book a course and be qualified to do brows in a day or in like 2 days do nails. I think thats why there are so many 'cheap' beauty treatments out there xx

There's someone here who advertises 'be a hairdresser in 5 days' course. Very highly rated by all accounts. Non hairdressers who learn extensions in a day, can also do a one day cutting course to learn how to cut hair!!
So let's not kid ourselves that it's just a beauty industry problem, although they do seem to be having it worse.

Ive never come across in alll my 12 years hairdressing a course where u can pass in 5 days etc. thats awful!! The beauty industry are having it bad tho. I was shocked when i booked onto a cluster lash course that i had to have no previous experience. X

I do one day courses, but only as CPD (new massage techniques etc)..

In this day and age some people want quick and they want it NOW, they don't want to actually study, or have to pass actual assessments or do exams.

You've now got people that have attended one day courses becoming trainers and teachers. I think this may water things down if people are not careful.

I personally know of someone who completed an online spray tan course who is now an educator, can she really assess others capabilities if her own haven't been assessed?

Yes and no.
One day courses are fine for therapist who want to learn a new product but should only be allowed for qualified therapist not just any tom dick and harry who has a spare 200!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

It's probably why we get so many 'professional' beauty therapists on here who recommend such delightful products as Nivea, No 7 and E45. Give it another year or so and we'll have people recommending Barry M, Revlon and their favourite box colour for their hair!

Last edited:
It does really annoy me. I think 1 day courses are fine if your already fully qualified (NVQ etc) and want to improve your services / learn a new way of something you already do.

But these 'be a nail tech with our 1 day course' things really annoy me. I've seen a lot of terrible work and had to sort about of bad nail extensions out because of these day courses!

Laura xx

I did a 4 day intensive course for acrylic nails really wish i went to college! I also trained at college for 4 years doing 1&2 hairdressing dont understand how u can learn it all in a few days, learnt my mistakes!! Xx

It is annoying, yes.
But if you know what you have to offer, regardless of the course of training you took, you will set yourself apart.
I have went to school with ladies that trained alongside for 2 years and I wouldn't let them touch me with a 12 foot pole!
If you excel at your calling, clients will find you. Word of mouth :)
That said, I also would be wary of a therapist treating me with a weekend course as there is no way she/he would know all there is to know. Take care of yourselves and the right client will find you

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

I employ a nail tech who learnt through private courses (not one day but 10 evenings... Close enough) and a beauty therapist who did two years at college. My nail tech is by far the most confident, passionate and technically proficient.

My beauty therapist came out nervous about waxing having had only one hour of it a fortnight and said she basically just did massage and facials all day as none of the girls wanted to learn.

Fortunately she is very hard working and keen to learn and I have put her on a few courses eg kim lawless, lashes etc but I would never discount someone now who had learnt through private/one day courses.

I agree with Haylez250. I know of two nail techs who did 3 day courses for acrylics and they are brilliant at what they do. If you are passionate enough you will learn and prove yourself.

There's already been lots of heated debates on here about day courses. I think the majority on this site have trained via that method, and will fight their corner.

As for hairdressing, I gather it's now one day a week for 24 weeks to qualify. In other words 24 days. Scary.

Im not saying people who do 1 day courses arnt good. Im saying do people get annoyed because they spent years training doing exams etc and someone can come along whos done a one day course. Ive done a one day course myself for cluster lashes but dont offer my services yet as i dont feel good enough. I just practice on friends etc. id be annoyed if someone started doing mobile hair by me who had done a 24 day course. Its taken me years to build up my knowledge about hair and the rights and wrongs etc. xx

I'm VRQ trained in beauty,part time it took me two hrs,it took me one yr to also train in reflexology.
I recently did a three day body massage course-I was worried it wouldn't be informative enough but it was brilliant.
HOWEVER as I'd done A&P already through my other long courses,knowledge of the muscles and systems came easier to me than I expected and I picked it up.
There were 3 others there who only had day courses Or short courses and they had no knowledge of a&p. I know I couldn't have understood most of it, if I hadn't a bit of background. Recently met one of the girls and she is starting as a employed therapist, but employers don't appear to care about he experience,just that they have a fee her services and I must admit I was slightly peeved about it. After one month of day courses she was employed and after 4 yrs of training I felt defeated bout the situation. But I suppose that's the nature of the game!

Two yrs lol not two hours haha
Well that would be a short course lol

I did my beauty training (city & guilds) many many moons ago, but I have also recently done a couple of one day courses to "update". Spray tanning being one of them as it just wasn't covered back in the stone age!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
I totally get where you're coming from but I see many therapists that have been to college for 2 years and now work in a salon but couldn't wax if their life depended on it. I think it's quality not quantity but I hear ya.

There's already been lots of heated debates on here about day courses. I think the majority on this site have trained via that method, and will fight their corner.

As for hairdressing, I gather it's now one day a week for 24 weeks to qualify. In other words 24 days. Scary.

Wow!!!
There's no way you can become a good and educated hairdresser in 24 days!!
I'm in oz and I'm doing my cert 3 that is 3 full days a week for 12 months.
Yes they do really annoy me, we don't have cutting courses for non qualified hairdressers here but if we did I would definitely be really peed off.
It's extremely annoying, we cannot really judge if short courses provide you with proper skill because some people are just naturals, some people aren't naturals and %100 will need more education and training.
I think this industry is starting to become a joke. Seems like people are only in it because they know it's where the money is if you charge enough, where is the passion?
I'm not fully qualified in hair yet but I am in beauty, and I know of a women that has done three short courses in hair extensions, spray tanning and eyelash extensions from those courses that in total added up to three days she's built a very successful business, not only does she provide services but she also had her own line of each if them and also a successful wholesale business, I am happy for her achievements but what's gets to me is the fact that she calls it a hobby when there are other people like myself & others that put their life into this industry and invest in so much time and money to become successful in this industry.
It's become a shortcut and quick way off becoming "well off".
I don't mean to offend anyone and sorry if I have!
It's becoming really unfair and these sort of courses shouldn't exist!

Just pointing out from a beauty side, quite a few of the top well known companies offer short courses.

I'll put it this way. My 'friend' went to college for two years to become a beauty therapist. She's shocking! After all that time learning her skills etc. she still didn't know what a greenie was!

I bought Marian Newmans book and I spent my hard earned savings on a short course with a top company. I am better and more confident than she is.

I'm not saying short courses are good or bad and neither is college. It's the training provider that's important. If the trainers/trainings rubbish, it doesn't matter how good you are!

I am currently studying Level 2 beauty therapy. It is a year long course & i will be studying another 12 months after this to gain my Level 3. However, i also studied for 12 months & qualified as a Level 2 Nail technician. A girl in our group did a 3 day class & was boasting About how 'good & cheap' her nails were. Now i'm not big headed at all, infact i have low confidence in my work, but you could DEFINITELY tell the difference in quality between both sets. I don't care what anybody says, unless you have previous experience/quals, you can't learn something like that in a few days.

Latest posts

Back